The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards

Go Back   The Long Hair Community Discussion Boards > Extras > Articles & How To's
Articles & How To's If you have written an article or a "how to" and would like to submit it to our database, please post it here. Tip: How to's are best written with supporting photos.

Main Menu

hair styles The Community
hair care Home
prom hair Articles
long hair styles Product Reviews
long hair care Boutique
long hair prom styles Forums
hair styles Memberlist
hair care Chat Room
prom hair styles Calendar
long hair style FAQ
long hair care Contribute!

growing long hair Contact zone
long hair care products Staff
long hair gallery Contact Us
long hair updo Advertising

Archives

User Name:

Password:

Remember Me?
Not a member yet?
Register Now!

Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:25 PM   #1
Snowymoon
Long Hair Guru

Length: 12/35/36
Type: 2c/M/ii
Trader Rating: 65

Snowy's Hair Massage Technique--With Pictures!

Not sure where to put this, but I thought I should share just what exactly I have been doing.

Since doing this, I have gained 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch growth each month that I have! YAY!!

Snowy's Super-Grow and End-Conditioning Scalp Massage Technique

This is simple, really. This works good on curlies and wavies since brushing causes frizz, I find this does not and actually smooths my hair down. Do this 1 to 2 times a day. The more often, the more it works!!

1. Hang head upsidedown. Usually I am sitting in a chair when doing this dry or standing in the shower before washing.

2. Massage scalp only, gently, as if you were shampooing, but do this for longer--about a minute or more--as long as you can stand to do it. I start at my forehead and work my way to the nape. I do this quite vigorously, and I alternate this with just massaging the scalp without disturbing the hair.

3. Reach into the hair at the scalp with the fingertips, fingers spread wide and gently grab at the scalp pulling fingers in and down the hairs slightly as if to grab the natural oils and spread them over the first 2 inches of scalp hair. I do this quite a bit, about a minute more or as long as you can stand it.

4. Gently scrub scalp again as in step 2 to collect oils on hands, now rub hands over canopy as if applying conditioner or gel. Sometimes I will run my hands flat over my hair as if applying oil too.

5. Get more oils from scalp by massaging as in step 2 again needed and carress the oils down the very ends of the hair--repeat as much as wanted until you feel the oils benefitting your length--you will know when to stop. Sometimes I gently finger detangle here as well.

In the shower, whether scalp washing or not, I do this:

1. Wash upside-down (can do this right-side up though). First I just let the water cascade over my tresses until it soaks in and reaches the scalp.
2. Begin massaging scalp as if shampooing, but only using the water--get it good! Do this for at least a minute.
3. Get scalp oils as above and then run hands to coat first 2 inches or so of scalp hairs.
4. Get more scalp oils and run hands over canopy and the ends. If hair is uber-soft, I may water detangle--depends on the feel of the hair. If it feels tangly, I don't risk the damage.
5. Wash scalp with method of choice, again massaging well. If scalp does not feel dirty, the water-only massage is good and just condition the length, if needed. I have eventually (after 6 days) gone completely without conditioner and just a bit of jojoba at the very ends with this method.
6. Condition length if needed.
7. Finish as you please.

Last edited by Snowymoon : November 3rd, 2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:35 PM   #2
CurlyKitten
Long Hair Guru

Length: 18/Hip/Tbone
Type: 3b/3c/M/ii
Trader Rating: 13

Re: Snowy's Hair Massage Technique

I will try this Snowy I am always looking for ways to use less conditioner. You mean you didn't need conditioner anymore after consistently doing these massages?

Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:38 PM   #3
Snowymoon
Long Hair Guru

I went 6 days after a CO scalp wash. I only used water to wash the scalp for 6 days. By day #6, I could easily detangle my hair, so I skipped conditioner all together, only using water and this method. I added a drop of jojoba on the very ends out of fear only. My hair got VERY soft. I needed to clean the scalp the next day though; it got greasy and heavy after that, and my hair is too fine for that.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 02:46 PM   #4
CurlyKitten
Long Hair Guru

Length: 18/Hip/Tbone
Type: 3b/3c/M/ii
Trader Rating: 13

Cool, I will definitely try this. Sometimes I feel like I don't have any sebum at all. My hair and scalp are NEVER oily. Maybe this will be a way to get my sebum to do its job
Thanks for the tip!

Old November 2nd, 2004, 03:06 PM   #5
seabear
Long Hair Guru

Length: ??/21+/??
Type: 2c/3a/M/ii
Trader Rating: 19

Ooh, sounds nice, I will definitely add this to my routine, Snowy, thanks for sharing! Even if it doesn't stimulate growth for me, it sounds very relaxing. Sometimes I really miss the feeling a good brushing used to give my scalp, this sounds like a great substitute for us curlies who gave up the brush.
Old November 2nd, 2004, 07:51 PM   #6
RedButterfly
Long Hair Guru

Length: ?/BSL/Knee
Type: 3a/3b/F/M/iii
Trader Rating: 3

Thanks for sharing this. My scalp is so dry during the cold weather. In fact, its been itchy lately. I will try this to see if it helps stimulate the hair follicles to produce more sebum.

Hair Description:
Color - Mahogany Brown

Type - Curly
3a - 3b / F - M / iii

Current Length - BSL
First Goal - Waist
Second Goal - Classic
Third Goal - Knee
Old November 2nd, 2004, 11:51 PM   #7
LILBERT
Long Hair Guru

Type: 1b/1c/C/iii
Trader Rating: 11

Thanks Snowy, i will givw it a try
Old November 3rd, 2004, 12:57 AM   #8
Snowymoon
Long Hair Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabear
...this sounds like a great substitute for us curlies who gave up the brush.

Come to think of it, I have had nothing in my hair but my fingers since last March with the exception of about 2 occasions where I combed my hair straight for trims.
Old November 3rd, 2004, 01:52 AM   #9
Vampberry
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 12/31.8/31.5
Type: 1b/F/ii
Trader Rating: 0

Thanks Snowymoon

I tried this and it felt wonderful + my hair is rather smoother now
No matter what she did with her hair it took about three minutes for it to tangle itself up again, like a garden hosepipe in a shed [Which, no matter how carefully coiled, will always uncoil overnight and tie the lawnmower to the bicycles]. -Pratchett
Old November 3rd, 2004, 02:59 PM   #10
Snowymoon
Long Hair Guru

Bump! I added pictures!! See above!
Old November 3rd, 2004, 04:01 PM   #11
Sally
Long Hair Guru

Length: 23.5/32/35
Type: 2c/M/i/ii
Trader Rating: 6

Thanks, Snowy. I'm going to try this too, see what it does for my dry hair and tight scalp.

BTW -- your hair is looking splendid! Has it really grown from 12 in. in April to 23.5 now! Totally amazing. And no matter what the timeline, it looks great.
Old November 4th, 2004, 01:08 AM   #12
Snowymoon
Long Hair Guru

Sally, my hair was cut from around 27 inches to 12 inches about 2 years ago. It was about 19 inches in April/March when I found LHC, nearly a year after the chop. Now it is 23.5 inches. That is 4.5 inches in 8 months minus 0.5 inch in trims (I take 0.25 inch each trim). Add that on, and it would be 24 inches right now or 5 inches in 8 months.

That is an average...does math...of 0.625 inches a month.

And, if I take the 12 inches it was in April 2003 to the 19 it was in April 2004, that is a growth of 7 inches in 12 months with 2 cuts from hairstylist, a perm and a couple slight trims by myself in between. That gives me an average (minus trims) of 0.58 inches a month growth.

Thinking back, when I went from just below collarbone to around nippy length (about 27 inches) before then in a year, that would have meant I grew 8 inches in 1 year minus 4 trims totalling 1 inch, or 9 inches in a year. That is an average of 0.75 inches a month!!

Crap!!!

I had no idea until just now. I thought I only grew 0.5 inch a month. I think what happens is my hair goes through lulls and spurts and will grow slower some months and fly in others (particularly fall and winter). I am amazed.

You know, my sister has really long hair (nearing classic) and swore hers grew from shoulders to waist in 2 years. Pfffft!! I thought she was off on time a bit, and really I thought it took 4 years. But now, I don't think she was off. It may have happened. I think her hair would be growing longer than that right now, but she does not S&D, and she has TONS of splits, and she is not doing any deep treatments or special care for the ends, just S&C. She has 1a to 1b straighter hair than me though, too.

If I add in a margin of error, even still, I am amazed.

ETA: Oh, and FWIW, I cannot keep my legs clean shaven. It is part of it, I think. If I shave in the morning, I have stubble in the evening. I get 5 o'clock shadow on the legs. My sister is the same. Good thing I only have that problem on my head and legs, though. When I took the extra biotin, I noticed that my stubble was VERY resistant to even the strongest men's razor with a brand-new blade. Hmmmm. Kind of a curse and a blessing. Hair grows fast, legs always stubbly. Oh, and Nair and that and even waxing DOES NOT WORK for me at all. It is a total waste. I can Nair or wax and STILL have resistent hairs hanging on. In fact, I have some follicles with 2 hairs in each one. They are buggers. After waxing or Nair, I have to shave the next day to be rid of the ones that did not get removed, and the stubble returns. Arrrggg.

*This post was edited to fix mathmatical mistakes--I cannot add or spell, so it seems. .

Last edited by Snowymoon : November 4th, 2004 at 05:15 AM.
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:21 AM   #13
Meg_Evenstar
Long Hair Guru

Length: 32/37/65
Trader Rating: 5

Thanks, Snowy. You always comme up with the neatest things. I will be trying this one soon.

Meg
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:28 AM   #14
Igor
Long Hair Guru

Length: 0,0/39,4/More!
Type: 1b/C/iii
Trader Rating: 19

Thank you so much for that guide!
Your technique reminds me of the Indian massage-technique… If only I could find the link again
I have to try this!
Old November 4th, 2004, 05:38 AM   #15
Lone
Long Hair Devotee

Length: 23/24/??
Type: 1b/M/ii
Trader Rating: 2

Thanks for adding the pictures! I was having a little trouble figuring some of that out. Think I'll try this on my husband this weekend, he's so good-natured about me messing with his hair.

And yep, I've noticed the faster and stronger my head hair grows, the faster and strong my leg hair grows (even with using one of those lotions that supposedly inhibits/makes it grow finer).