Commuting General Forum

Things that are just true about urban cycling
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BikeRadar Forum Index > Commuting > Commuting General
Aidy
biondino wrote:
Aidy wrote:
biondino wrote:
You WILL get your bike nicked Sad

Recent victim?

Yep. Brand new MTB is now a distant memory - stolen from inside my parents' locked garage where I was storing it while sorting out a house move.

Rubbish Sad

Insurance? Or not worth it?

biondino
No insurance. My fault. Sad.

My Focus / My Bob Jackson
Blog (incl. bikes)
johndiamond
Hear what you're saying about going commando at the office. Packing my bag in a hurry in the mornings I tend to forget something or other most days.

At least once a month I also find myself rocking the Don Johnson in Miami Vice look; suit with loafers, but no socks baby!

Wallace1492
The fitter you get and the more your commute time comes down, the more often some jean wearing RLJer in jeans and a messenger back and riding an old MTB with knobblies will effortlessly breeze past you.

Trossachs Ton, 20th June "longest ever" DONE!
Mallaig to Durness, 23rd to 26th June 2010 "Bring it on!" DONE!

"Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
Wallace1492
All traffic lights at the bottom of a decent hill are set to red, until you hit the hidden switch by stopping, clipping out, losing all momentum and putting your foot on said switch. This is true no matter if you speed up to lights and brake hard or slow down well before, feverishly willing them to change.

ketsbaia
Wallace1492 wrote:
All traffic lights at the bottom of a decent hill are set to red, until you hit the hidden switch by stopping, clipping out, losing all momentum and putting your foot on said switch. This is true no matter if you speed up to lights and brake hard or slow down well before, feverishly willing them to change.

You've been down Dog Kennel Hill, then? Very Happy

One more gear
Asprilla
Traffic lights have no truck with nonchalance.

The tailwind is a lie.
Aidy
There's always a headwind. No matter which way you're going.

Wallace1492
ketsbaia wrote:
Wallace1492 wrote:

You've been down Dog Kennel Hill, then? Very Happy

No, just Maryhill Road..... Wink

kieranb
doesn't matter if you're a parent with your young child in a seat on the rack, a woman out leisure cycling with her family, once you are on a bike you are fair game for verbal abuse from any dirver.

kieranb
RLJers are a threat to the state and health of the eldery/young and must be stopped

Speeding drivers are just ordinary people in a rush to work/home, very understandable.

Aidy
lost_in_thought wrote:
If you delay unclipping at a red, then eventually decide to give in, it will change to yellow the instant your foot touches the ground.

The corollary to this is that the instant you achieve the perfect trackstand, the trackstand to end all trackstands, the one which you could hold for days, and which would win you the love and adulation of millions, the lights will change to green.

Greg T
Aidy wrote:

The corollary to this is that the instant you achieve the perfect trackstand, the trackstand to end all trackstands, the one which you could hold for days, and which would win you the love and adulation of millions, the lights will change to green.

When you are in the zone and your karma is so perfect your wheels are locked still, your body in equilibrium and balance - even weight on both feet and you are in the perfect hover....

Someone pulls alongside and looks at your feet.

You start disco dancing like an epileptic at a strobe fest.

Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
gtvlusso
You realise what a state British road surfaces are in.....

Fixie
Roadie
Wilma
Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jedster
Lobotomised idiots who haven't ridden a bike for 30 years suddenly become experts on cycling when they get behind the wheel of a car.

FACT!

Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rml380z
The bigger the car, the worse the driver.

Kinda strange, because;

The smaller the scooter/motorbike, the worse the driver.

dhope
lost_in_thought wrote:
If you delay unclipping at a red, then eventually decide to give in, it will change to yellow the instant your foot touches the ground.

Always a moment before I find, just late enough that I've shifted my balance enough that my foot needs to touch the floor before I can reshift balance and then head off again, by which time I'm holding people up.

Langster... FCN 8 (5 + Baggies + Saddlebag + Toeclips)
C2W Boardman... FCN 4/6 (4 + Baggies + Saddlebag/Nothing + Clipless)
dhope
If your commute takes 30 minutes and the shower/change takes 10, and you manage to shave 2 minutes off the commute, you'll spend that 2 minutes cooling down and stopping perspiring after the extra effort. Net time gain, zero.

Langster... FCN 8 (5 + Baggies + Saddlebag + Toeclips)
C2W Boardman... FCN 4/6 (4 + Baggies + Saddlebag/Nothing + Clipless)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BikeRadar Forum Index > Commuting > Commuting General All times are GMT
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: