From Deseret News archives:
Krakauer still vexed by FLDS
Since then, he has so deeply immersed himself in the distressed lives of members and former members of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints that he no longer will write about the polygamous sect that inhabits twin towns on the Utah-Arizona border.
"I've been asked to help a lot of people who feel they've been victimized by this culture," Krakauer told the Associated Press on Friday in a rare interview. "I just keep getting drawn deeper and deeper into this."
By "this," Krakauer means the religious politics of FLDS and its leader-prophet, Warren Jeffs, who reportedly has banished hundreds of men and boys from Hildale and Colorado City, Ariz., in a struggle for control over the sect, whose estimated 6,000 to 12,000 members make it the largest polygamous group in the West.
Krakauer's best-selling book on religious extremism focused on the 1984 cold-blooded murders of Brenda Lafferty and her 15-month-old daughter, Erica, in American Fork. He will be in Salt Lake City on Saturday to lend weight to an organization calling itself Diversity, founded by former polygamist Dr. Dan Fischer.
Attorney General Mark Shurtleff, who will appear with Krakauer and Fischer at a Capitol news conference with some of the youngsters they call the "lost boys," said he met Fischer about a year ago. Shurtleff said Fischer has been providing housing and financial support for the boys, whom Shurtleff called victims.
That's how Krakauer sees them, too.
"Boys are fined and harassed by the police, who are sworn to uphold the law but serve as minions of Warren Jeffs," Krakauer said. "Hundreds of these boys over the past four years have been cast out. Most of them end up on the streets of (Las) Vegas or St. George," where they turn to drugs or prostitution.
While most have been kicked out of the community ostensibly for misbehavior, Krakauer said the real problem is plain: The creed says a man must be a polygamist to achieve godly approval. But when 50 percent of the population is male, the surplus must be jettisoned.
- '30 Rock' to air live episode 10:43 p.m.
- National news briefs 10:42 p.m.
- Man sent to jail for vomiting on fans 10:41 p.m.
- Escaped ID inmate linked to robbery 10:39 p.m.
- Armed man holding woman hostage 10:35 p.m.
- Is independence BYU's best option? 10:33 p.m.
- Floods kill at least 430 in Pakistan 10:23 p.m.
- Illegal pet trade rampant in Indonesia 10:21 p.m.
- Show canceled to protest kidnapping 10:20 p.m.
- Blog: Games at Comic-Con 10:11 p.m.
- BYU keeps faith in football program
- Mike James likes the Utah Jazz
- Son, wife charged in Y. prof death
- Utes jump from small to big pond
- Editorial: A boon to health
- High school football top 25
- Sarkisian: Utes great fit for Pac-10
- Salt Lake air fares are soaring
- UHP trooper car shot at
- Son arrested in former Y. prof death
- Parts of AZ immigration law blocked201
- Letters: Stop the demonizing163
- What was the Liahona?122
- Editorial: Don't raise taxes108
- Jeffs' rape conviction overturned104
- Campos found guilty by jury97
- Pac-10 will change name to Pac-1296
- Letters: Why no Hannity on KSL?93
- Utes jump from small to big pond93
- BYU keeps faith in football program91
KM, It's pretty simple. When I say 'wealthy' I mean 'wealthy'. ALL of...
Sorry Kimber. what I said is not just my opinion, I know it to be true. The...
rvanlens2, Can you give me ONE reason why they'd cast their vote for a...
Nothing, just NOTHING but hateful intolerance from the Repubs. How ugly.
@Christy, When you say wealthy are you referring to George Soros, Nancy...
Bloggy: first, the mosque/community center won't be ON ground zero, it will...
Ted, You are underestimating the Power Of The 1st Lady. They are almost...
Bolton is not a "liberal activist" judge! She's a longtime favorite of...
BYU will always get great QB,TE,OL,RB,FB,DL,WR and LB recruits. The only...
The big question is if the current administration would even bother to obey...