4th Division

Headquarters 4th Division was established in Aldershot on 1 April 1995, with command over 2 (South East) Brigade, 24 (Airmobile) Brigade and 145 (Home Counties) Brigade with administrative responsibility for 5 (Airborne) Brigade. The recent Strategic Defence Review resulted in the loss of 5 (Airborne) and 24 (Airmobile) Brigade to the new 16 (Air Assault) Brigade and the expansion of the Division's boundaries with the incorporation of 49 (East) Brigade.

The 4th Division was raised on the orders of General Sir Arthur Wellesley in June 1809 and first saw action at Talavera in Spain. The Division also fought with distinction in several campaigns including Waterloo, the Crimea and the South African War, which included the defence of Ladysmith. During the Great War the Division served on the Western Front. In the Second World War it served with the British Expeditionary Force and took part in the retreat from Dunkirk and then moved to Egypt before taking part in the Italian Campaign and a final move to Greece where it was disbanded in 1945.
 
The Division was resurrected on 1 April 1956 in Herford, West Germany where it was later re-structured and re-titled the 4th Armoured Division. In 1993 the Division was again removed from the order of battle with the title being placed into suspended animation. 

Further restructuring saw the closure of Headquarters Southern District and in its place Headquarters 4th Division was established in Aldershot on 1 April 1995, with command over 2 (South East) Brigade, 24 (Airmobile) Brigade and 145 (Home Counties) Brigade with administrative responsibility for 5 (Airborne) Brigade.

The recent Strategic Defence Review resulted in the loss of 5 (Airborne) and 24 (Airmobile) Brigade to the new 16 (Air Assault) Brigade and the expansion of the Division's boundaries with the incorporation of 49 (East) Brigade.
 
Due to a Resubordination Order issued in April 2007 resulted in the boundaries of 4th Division being changed with the loss of 49 (East) Brigade and Colchester Garrison to 5th Division control. The 4th Division boundaries were expanded west to include 43 (Wessex) Brigade. Brunei Garrison and British Gurkhas Nepal were also included under 4th Division control. As part of the boundary changes 145 (Home Counties) Brigade was renamed 145 (South) Brigade.