Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining us 94,000+ Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Pages (207): « First ... ‹ Prev    195 196 197 198 199200 201 202 203    Next › Last »
fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007
Emperor of the Internet

mythomanic posted:

A friend of mine just finished watching all of the entries after being recommended them by a mutual friend. He is super immersed and creeped the gently caress out. How can/should I mess with him?

Scan pictures from his house, 'shop Slendie in, replace. Wait.

VVV Or that.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at May 13, 2010 around 04:54

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007
Ambulance Y imprisons the sigh of a recent amputee, and dumps her in the xylophone trees.

Sneak into his house when he's asleep and wake him up by shouting and waving a gun in his face.

Lamb of Gun
Apr 02, 2009

Pirate Jet posted:

I live right next to the museum and I can tell you that is not part of the exhibit. (It's a giant diorama for Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and it's awesome.)

Also, gotta love the "no photography" sign at the bottom. That's why I don't visit that place anymore. Maybe that's why he's after you.

edit: That is the silliest tie I have ever seen SM wear.

The exhibit IS awesome. The little anecdote on the other side there is a pretty interesting read. My favorite section is where The Who, The Allman Brothers and ZZ Top are at. It's the raised section right when you walk in. For me, that area had the most ineresting displays.

I haven't slept in 4 days and I have a bus ticket for Kentucky lying around that I don't rememeber buying.

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

Will it be in this thread, or a separate one? Just want to make sure I don't miss it.

In this thread. I don't think it warrants making a new one.

meataidstheft
Jul 31, 2005

Yous a lady Skwisgaar!

Is anyone else having a hard time looking at photographs of the woods without looking for Slenderman?

I do it every drat time now. Thanks a lot ce gars and kicksyouinhalf.

Seriously though, your whole team is awesome.

Toad on a Hat
May 27, 2004

Whatever you do, don't blink.

Hey thanks for this! You guys did a fantastic job on the atmosphere and the "Blair Witch" style camera work. I really enjoyed it, even though this thread moved too fast for me to say so.

Devi
Jan 15, 2006

To the Bookmobile!

mythomanic posted:

A friend of mine just finished watching all of the entries after being recommended them by a mutual friend. He is super immersed and creeped the gently caress out. How can/should I mess with him?

Do you or your friend own a suit? It shouldn't be hard to figure out from there.

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Marble Hornets Q&A

Q:Where do you draw inspiration from in terms of what you use to create a creepy/unsettling atmosphere?

Me: Tough to say. Everyone is influenced by someone in some form or fashion. I can't really pinpoint a specific thing. I'm not really into corny slasher type horror movies though.

KYIH: I don't know that there is something in particular that I draw inspiration from specifically. I do think we did a good job in creating an atmosphere that people could relate to on some level. The home-made style of shooting combined with very generic areas at night or inside that could be anywhere helps establish a connection that makes the vibe pretty powerful. Obviously this isn't true for everyone so then you throw a burned out building into the mix and there is something there for everyone. If we had a way to shoehorn a fear of tight spaces and/or getting stuck we'd be golden. Maybe later.

Q: Was this for a project/grade of any sort, or was it just for fun?

Me: Just for fun. I thought of the initial concept on my own and called up Kicksyouinhalf, who came over to help write it. We spent hours brainstorming ideas and writing them down on notecards. Then we arranged the ones we liked in order of how things actually happened with Alex's filming and the order in which they were posted to youtube. It got really confusing after awhile. As expected, the story evolved quite a bit as we were shooting it all. There were plenty of changes made from the original ideas. A lot of what was originally written never materialized in the finished videos.

KYIH: No grades here. Ce gars texted me one day asking if I wanted to help shoot a series with him then had me read the "create paranormal images" thread on SA. MH started as our contribution to the thread but kind of exploded into a self-sufficient abomination. Yeah it was just for fun.

Q: What audio/video editing software do you guys use?

Me: I edit everything on Sony Vegas 9.0

Q: I've noticed the lapses between twitter updates,video postings, and youtube logins. Are you guys just building up the suspense to something incredibly awesome or just being lazy?

Me: We both have jobs and I'm still in school. So some of the lapses were caused by us being too busy with that stuff, but we were always pretty much prepared for what to do when our free days rolled around when we could shoot.

KYIH: A bit of both. Some of the lapses like before the last entry we did were entirely intentional. Other times it is just too hard to get everything set up in terms of scheduling and what not to put them out on a consistent schedule. Keep in mind that the series is supposed to be happening in "real time" as well. Something plot relevant isn't going to happen to J every single Wednesday at 8pm.

Q: What is the hardest part of making Marble Hornets?

Me: For me, the biggest headache was the text at the beginning and end of the entries. We didn't want to ruin the mood of the entries by having things like “OMG DID YOU GUYS SEE THAT” surrounding the video, but we also didn't want Jay to seem completely oblivious to what he was seeing.

KYIH: Scheduling. A million times scheduling. Especially after we moved in August and school started up our window of opportunity to shoot was extremely tight. We both work through every weekend and ce gars has class one of my three off days. Put in tests/homework/whatever else and it becomes a very tricky line to walk. I could write an essay on my frustration with our scheduling woes. Aside from that, deep south humidity.

Q: What kind of camera did you use?

Me: Sony HDR-SR5. Definitely not the highest quality, but for the look we were going for, it was perfect.

Q: Many users have posted some pretty interesting theories/created some memes at different points of Part 1, do you have any favorites or ones that you hate furiously and want us to stop referencing?

Me: I really like reading everyone's theories, no matter how crazy they sound. The crazy in depth theory that it was all some sort of elaborate joke by Brian and Tim was my favorite. I also remember seeing a video of someone doing a walkthrough of “the house” from Entry #18 that they constructed in Garry's Mod (fake edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fAWowkLyLw). That was kind of cool to think that someone liked it enough to take the time to recreate it. Maybe it should have creeped me out? I dunno.
If there's something I've grown tired of, it's definitely the “gimmie 20 dolla” meme. You don't need to respond to every thing related to Marble Hornets with it. Come on now.

KYIH: If anyone references $20 in my presence I probably won't speak to them ever again. The absurdity of it was smile-worthy the first time but good lord. Let the joke die. Die. Die. Die. Die. Also I'm not a big fan of the facebook pages people have set up for the MH characters. I guess I just don't "get it".

Me: I think some of the facebook profiles are pretty funny. But I don't like the idea of someone accidentally thinking they're official.

Q: Was climbing up the Red Tower as dangerous as it looked?

Me: Ask Kicksyouinhalf, he's the one that climbed it. I'm a wuss when it comes to heights. I'm sure I was more worried about him dropping the camera than his safety climbing up that rickety wooden tragedy waiting to happen.

KYIH: Climbing it two-handed is easy. Climbing it one handed while filming is a challenge but that didn't stop me from balancing across wooden beams of questionable structural integrity to put that silver box in place. It wasn't so bad, there were only a couple of rotted boards.

Q: What's been the hardest thing to shoot so far, and why?

Me: Entry #13. It was so hot and we were about ready to kill each other by the time we left.

KYIH: I would say anything at an abandoned building you've seen. We got caught by the cops there once and had to do some special ops poo poo to dodge them the other times we were there. Add onto that hassle the fact that it was freezing cold during these shoots and working in the building was a very hazardous task and you have one huge pain in the rear end.

The last time we were at the building it had been raining a lot prior and the building is all burnt out and whatnot so you'd have water dropping from one floor, down to another, and splashing in a way that sounds very much like footsteps. The wind would blow through the walls in a way that sounded like whispers and coyotes are apparently fairly common out there. So that last shoot involved: cops, special ops dodging of said cops, cold weather, freezing cold water, potential coyotes, and me being freaked the gently caress out. It was not fun.

Also entry #6 took forever. There were some hilarious bloopers from that one but I'm pretty sure I made Ce Gars delete them all.

Me: I didn't delete anything. I still watch those everyday.

Q: What was arguably the hardest aspect (scheduling, budget, writing, etc.) of the entire project?

Me: Like Kicksyouinhalf said, scheduling was tough when we moved and school started back for me. Writing was fun.

KYIH: The budget was an inconvenience at worst and writing wasn't too bad (despite the 9-hour story-boarding sessions). Scheduling was the one aspect that constantly infuriated us.

Q: Are you guys involved with the production of any of the sidestory blogs that exist concerning [The Operator], or is that totally independent of the Marble Hornets continuity?

Me: None of the blogs are our doing. I haven't even read a lot of them. I didn't want to be accused of accidentally stealing someone's idea.

KYIH: Totheark, the MH twitter, and the MH youtube channels are all we are involved in. Every other project is completely independent of us. We had at least one person doing one of the blogs ask if we wanted to collaborate but we declined the offer. Unless there was explicit acknowledgment that it was us, we had nothing to do with it and it isn't part of MH canon.

Q: What is with the change in the totheark videos? The sharpie drawn effects and the drawing mannequin thing seems a bit corny to me.

Me: Sorry you think that. The funnest aspect of MH, for me, was creating the totheark videos. I like doing experimental stuff, and totheark gave me the perfect opportunity to let loose on that front. The one I'm the most proud of is Warning. I like playing with stop motion.

KYIH: Totheark gets bored easily. He likes to change it up every now and again, alright?

Q: Would you mind sharing how you managed that "shadow" reaching into Alex's head [in entry #22]?

Me: Creative lighting discovered completely by accident.

KYIH: This was one of the many happy accidents we had while shooting. Originally it was just going to be a shadow coming over Alex at the end of my little monologue. Ce gars had the screen of the camera facing me so I could see if I was centered and what have you, and while we were trying to figure out what lighting to get/how to make the shadow, he reached around and the shadow of his arm created a really cool effect that made it seem as if the shadow was coming through the wall. In terms of execution, I don't know if we could recreate it, but that is how we came across it.

Q: What was your favorite fan art?
KYIH: Teatotally's poster, hands down. We had some great ones but all the little details in that one still blow my mind.

Click here for the full 758x1200 image.

Me: Agreeing with Kicksyouinhalf. Although an honorable mention goes to whoever made the sprite of our masked friend.

Is someone working on a MH themed fighting game? That would be cool.

Also this video is so awesome:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mk-vG5rAEU

Q: How much has this whole thing cost so far, and what was the most expensive part of production?

KYIH: Not counting the gas to drive to different locations, the costuming took up the most of our meager budget. That meager budget being MAYBE $500 total.

Me: There's not really one thing in particular that cost the most money. We just had to buy a bunch of miscellaneous items for each entry. We went through too many flashlights though. Why we didn't get a maglite FIRST, I'll never know.

Q: Who "played" [The Operator]? Was it a costume/digital effect/both?

Me: We're not really ready to reveal how we did it, as it will probably ruin some of the magic. I will say, however, that we do not own a mannequin. Those things are expensive.

Q: What the gently caress were you guys doing on ChatRoulette?

Me: Probably the same thing you were doing. If you ran across someone wearing our mask and two guys arguing in the background about pokemon, that was us.

KYIH: ChatRoulette is fun. Unless you mean specifically, in which case I don't remember.

Me: That 1 man 2 fish chatroulette video has us in it, yeah. Just to wrap that weird discussion up.

Q: Will you guys be releasing any kind of behind-the-scenes extras? Any chance for a commentary track-esque extra for the currently-released episodes in the future?

Me: We're considering a few things. We have a lot of stupid bloopers, but ultimately I don't think that would mesh well with how someone might be feeling after watching MH.

KYIH: We have a little behind-the-scenes footage but I haven't watched any of it yet. No promises anything is there worth posting even on the internet. As for commentary, we haven't even discussed it. I don't know if that is something that is something worth posting either. Just off the top of my head a lot of the commentary would be, "oh man do you remember how hot it was this day?" "oh yeah and we forgot to bring water" "that was awful... everything about this was awful."

Q: Favorite actors, directors, or producers?

KYIH: My list is incredibly boring because it includes all the "standards". I'm not an indie-type, despite what a lot of people seem to think. I like the unknowns as much as the next pretentious twenty-something year-old, I just don't retain names.

Me: I think my favorite actor at the moment is Robert Downey Jr., but that's usually just the off-the-top-of-my-head answer. I think my favorite actors of all time would be Malcolm McDowell or Christopher Lloyd. I could bore you all day with my stupid lists. Stanley Kubrick is definitely my favorite director. I used to have a weird obsession with David Lynch in high school, but I haven't watched anything of his for some time. Producers I'm not as well versed in. Ron Howard tends to make pretty good stuff, I guess. Anything studio Ghibli touches is gold, too.

Q: Will there be a DVD?

KYIH: I'm pretty sure we can't talk about that right now.

[b]Me
: No comment at the moment.

_________
EDIT: I'm pretty sure we'll be doing at least one more batch of questions after these. Still reading through all of them.

ce gars fucked around with this message at May 13, 2010 around 23:35

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

it's a great day for america everybody yes it is

ce gars posted:

Q: Will there be a DVD?

KYIH: I'm pretty sure we can't talk about that right now.

Me: No comment at the moment.
Oh man this is totally legal CYA-speak for "we're in talks about a DVD and can't talk about it while those talks are ongoing" loving SWEET

Jesoteric
Apr 04, 2010

ce gars posted:

Marble Hornets Q&A

Thanks for doing this. I'm amazed at the fact that you've produced all of this so well on such a low budget, but judging by some of what you said it sure as hell wasn't easy. Considering the amount of effort it would've taken to do it even without other things interfering, and then adding college and such into the equation... It's amazing you've got this far.

And if a DVD does come out, I will be buying it. No doubt about it.

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

ce gars posted:

KYIH: Not counting the gas to drive to different locations, the costuming took up the most of our meager budget. That meager budget being MAYBE $500 total.

Guess I was wrong...the phone probably did cost less.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 06, 2007

National tragedy.

Totally adding Jeff Bridges to my favorite actors list. I watched The Big Lebowski again last night and like man, you know, there are so many things going on with that whole performance man and like, you know, the dude abides.

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

Pehther posted:

Guess I was wrong...the phone probably did cost less.

What phone?

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

ce gars posted:

What phone?

Pehther posted:

Dry erase board? Seriously? I can't get over how well done their effects are for having little to no budget. He probably spent more on that phone then they have on the entire MH production. If it's "getting lame", maybe you should ask for a refund.

I stand corrected.

e: For clarity, I was referring to the picture of the text message.

stormoftara
Nov 05, 2009

Sometimes you just like to pick stuff up and watch the colors. It's so beautiful. Life is beautiful.

Thanks for doing that Q&A guys. I really enjoyed Marble Hornets, in fact it's why I joined SA in the first place. Thanks again!

Average Bear
Apr 04, 2010

Ditto; Slenderman is what brought my attention here in the first place, and you guys kept me here. Can't wait for a commentary/behind the scenes if you decide it is worth posting.

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 06, 2007

National tragedy.

We might have another batch of questions here over the weekend if we have time/there are enough unique ones. Again, thanks for watching.

Soy Sauce Beast
Mar 04, 2008

~Water Tribe~

Man, you guys do awesome work. Also, I would buy the gently caress out of a DVD, if you make one.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

ce gars posted:

Q: Who "played" [The Operator]? Was it a costume/digital effect/both?

[b]Me
: We're not really ready to reveal how we did it, as it will probably ruin some of the magic. I will say, however, that we do not own a mannequin. Those things are expensive.

Hmmm so the character is called [The Operator]. Cool! To me, though, "the Slenderman" sounds creepier, like it's the thing that no one really talks about, an old wives' tale myth.

Fascinating stuff. I would have died sneaking into that burned out building.

teatotally
Mar 11, 2010

This is great, thanks for all of the time spent on the Q&A, you guys!

In regards to the behind the scenes crap, and what's worthy of putting on the internet, keep in mind that this is the internet. Fans who've been around for a while have watched the uploads more than once and picked them apart for the sake of speculation, so while bloopers might be an off shade for new watchers, for the rest of us they would be entertaining! I also heard a story about someone who looks ridiculous in aviator shades stuffing his face with paper pieces and I hope to see proof of this for the sake of light-hearted mocking at a later date!

I'm glad you liked the poster and cooking video! (I wonder if anyone has actually tried to make that recipe and have they died from eating the results? I NEED TO KNOW, PEOPLE!) They are a small thing in return for the A) awesome videos that kept on delivering and B) fodder for hours and hours of yelling at people on the internet. Being practically a forum mom for a couple of months was fabulous and stupid, which is my favorite thing. There were some other amazing fanarts -- I'm not sure if you saw MissDelirium's pictures but you should give them a peek if you have the time. She dun good! There's an entire DA group as well; it's a bit pick-and-choose but hey, repositories of people sitting down and taking the time to make these things, spawned by your efforts, is kind of neat! You created ripples, guys!

Deepest sympathies regarding the heat and humidity. As much as being mildly chilly to downright freezing for eight months of the year can be, I wouldn't trade it for what you've got. BLEARGH! At least this summer you do not have to be running around fields with a shakycam™!

Lastly, I guess that what with openly interacting with us, you're dispensing with keeping MH semi-real in the way that it was at the beginning of the series. I hope that with Part II, whenever it comes around, that element returns at least somewhat! Part of what I liked about Part I was that it didn't update Every Wednesday At 8PM, and that there were reasons behind early or late updates that were in character -- whether it was intended or was a cover-up for scheduling hell. While of course we all know that Jay and Alex aren't actually real people, part of the charm of the series for me was that they were treated as such! I suppose that there was more of a sense of concern for them because they seemed like they could exist on the other side of a screen across the internets, even with the ridiculous events they were trapped in. It seems like a fresh spin to put on a genre that's been handled pretty ham-handedly in the past. Kudos for that!

tl;dr: Yaaaaaaaay! rear end-pats!

tzorilla
Jul 23, 2007

Great job guys.

Do you have PayPal, since I'd like to offer you alcoholic beverages.

Docjowles
Apr 09, 2009

It's gonna be pretty funny when the DVD comes out and they charge 20 dollars.

Mogomra
Nov 05, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Docjowles posted:

It's gonna be pretty funny when the DVD comes out and they charge 20 dollars.

I'm pretty sure everyone would

That stupid song... Won.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007
Emperor of the Internet

I don't get not being able to talk about whether or not a DVD version is coming out. What am I missing here?

VVV Yes, that's exactly what I'm confused about.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at May 14, 2010 around 18:50

CloFan
Nov 05, 2004

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a pilot.

fullroundaction posted:

I don't get not being able to talk about whether or not a DVD version is coming out. What am I missing here?

The Rokstar posted:

Oh man this is totally legal CYA-speak for "we're in talks about a DVD and can't talk about it while those talks are ongoing" loving SWEET

da anime bulldog
Sep 14, 2004

So we're supposed to refer to Slenderman as "the Operator"?

teatotally
Mar 11, 2010

The Slender Man's a smooth operator, you guys. Don't be judging now!

BrightGreenLine
Sep 02, 2004
oh :gonk:

They never call it the Slenderman in the series, and I believe there were one or two references to the Operator Symbol so it's not a big jump to just call him "The Operator" until they give him a different name. One of the strengths of this series has been that they never outright acknowledged it as the Slenderman and tried to turn it into something of their own.

odetogroovy
Oct 05, 2004

You are a terminal boob.

Thanks for the Q&A. Got the channel talking again.
Just wanted to say: The audio/noise is what drew me into the plot the most! Sounds like you had fun creating the soundtrack that surrounded the story. Again, thanks for the thrills!

Pehther
Feb 12, 2008

BrightGreenLine posted:

They never call it the Slenderman in the series, and I believe there were one or two references to the Operator Symbol so it's not a big jump to just call him "The Operator" until they give him a different name. One of the strengths of this series has been that they never outright acknowledged it as the Slenderman and tried to turn it into something of their own.

Also part of the series' charm is that the characters don't know what in the living gently caress is going on. It wouldn't make much sense for them to refer to him as Slenderman (unless the characters themselves were meant to be goons, which would alienate a good chunk of the MH audience). WE know it's all loosely based on SM from the Paranormal Images thread on SA, but just like Masky getting different names on different forums, the audience at large only knows as much as the characters do.

I do like that the simple answer of calling him [The Operator] eliminated at least one prolonged debate. For a while we weren't sure if the Operator was SM or TTA.

Zombies' Downfall
Aug 20, 2005

I killed Gunpei Yokoi and I'll kill you too if you don't buy a Wii

Thanks for the detailed Q&A, Cegars and KYIH. And thanks for Marble Hornets, for that matter; I didn't lose sleep over it but for what it is it's amazing and I'd love to see you guys get ahead in the horror genre. I've got a question related to that, and to another non-story aspect of how the writing itself was done, but I guess I'll e-mail those for this potential next update.

Cool story, bros.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

it's a great day for america everybody yes it is

Are you guys still taking questions, or is the second batch just going to be questions you already have but didn't answer the first time around?

ce gars
Dec 31, 2007

The Rokstar posted:

Are you guys still taking questions, or is the second batch just going to be questions you already have but didn't answer the first time around?

Feel free to send us more questions. I'm reading through all of them.

Project Rockaway
Jul 07, 2005
I fully support endangering your life to get high.

for what it's worth, I literally *DID* loose sleep over MH. And no, I'm not saying it scared me so much I couldn't get to bed (although I did look over my shoulder much more after watching a new entry), but I lost sleep staying up waiting for updates!! I was so into this whole series that I looked forward to each new entry with the same excitement as like, a new episode of Breaking Bad or whatever awesome show I'm waiting for.

I don't know what it was, but just something about the way the story was unfolding made me want more and more. Please, please please don't drop some of the plot points you guys included in season 1. Don't pull a Lost. Make my 3 hour-of-sleep nights worth it in the next two seasons! (at least two seasons, ok?)

ThaGrandCow
Nov 27, 2003

LOL BIBLES

I've been following the thread forever, but I must have missed where Slenderman or the O with an X symbol became known as 'The Operator'. Anyone care to enlighten me how that came about?

Luminous Cow
Nov 02, 2007

Burn it all to the ground, baby!

Oh hey, a Q&A. Thanks for taking the time to make these movies. While I didn't lose much sleep, I did tend to avoid looking out windows and stuff at night. I always wondered if there would be someone there.

Changer Of The Ways
Jan 08, 2008
"Just as planned..."

Just chiming in to say you guys are awesome, and that I can't wait for "season 2" or part 2 or whatever you're gonna call it. I've been on a major creepypasta/creepy things binge for the past couple months and MH, something I've followed from the beginning, definitely factored into that.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

You guys are loving rad and I would gladly buy a DVD if you made one, or donate if you don't. You guys have certainly given me enough free entertainment, it's only fair that I should give back.

N3RDSTER
Mar 27, 2010

Please try to make sure that this DVD that you guys can't talk about is available for those of us in the UK. I want to give back .

Joust
Dec 07, 2007
No Ledges.

Well done on all this guys. Getting an understanding of you guys behind the scenes is fairly motivating.

Rate Thread:
Pages (207): « First ... ‹ Prev    195 196 197 198 199200 201 202 203    Next › Last »