Planet-Totems & Planet-Adelpha Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Outcast Shamazaar-MUD+Twon-Ha patch inside
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic    Planet-Totems & Planet-Adelpha Forum Index » Outcast View previous topic
View next topic
Outcast Shamazaar-MUD+Twon-Ha patch inside
terence_13
Apprentice

Post Outcast Shamazaar-MUD+Twon-Ha patch inside Reply with quote
Hi,

Ever been bothered by
1) Mud in Shamazaar slows you down to virtually zero on a modern (fast) computer
2) Twon-HAs are unridable?

The release of the Openoutcast-Demo has inspired my to finally sit down and try two find the cause of these two bug. After some hours with Ollydbg I finally nailed down the cause of the first bug.
I can offer two solutions:
1) remove the slowdown entirely. Use this file to patch:

----------Update------------
Twon-Ha Bug is also solved. Thanks to AtomicJo's nice "smart-patch", patching of all up-to-date version of Outcast (CD, DVD) should be trouble free:
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fallout-world/OutcastPatch4.zip
----------Update------------

For people having experience in assembler: this patch just changes a JNE into JMP to avoid the slowdown-sub-routine. You find the caller of this subroutine by searching for "move state" in "referenced strings" using Ollydbg.

*UPDATE* the final patch differs, skip to second page for exact description *UPDATE*

2) Adjust the slowdown-factor to match modern PCs. I could do this if desired (i have found the corresponding variable), however, I would prefere to first solve the unridable Twon-Ha Bug first. (I have not found a solution yet. It must be hidden somewere in the "ride in state"-subroutine).

Have fun,
Terence

Last edited by terence_13 on 23.07.2010, 23:15; edited 9 times in total
14.02.2010, 22:05 View user's profile Send private message
Toshiro
Apprentice

Post Reply with quote
Hey, that sounds very interesting but I'd say turbo download is not a good choice for upload location. I was asked to fill in some survey which I would've done but there are "no surveys for my country" Smile Please upload elsewhere Smile
15.02.2010, 14:29 View user's profile Send private message
atomicJo
Journeyman

Post Reply with quote
nice find!
And yeah I suggest you to upload it on a completely free upload website, Megaupload or Rapidshare.

About twon-ha bug, it seems that it's not a problem due to recent hardware, don't know exactly what causes this. But there is a way to get the twon-ha to run, you must press forward key, open and close a menu (inventory, objectives ...) and the twon-ha will run, maybe it could help.

One last thing, do you have any idea on what causes musics to be played too fast on recent computers ?

My Outcast Speedrun : http://www.planet-adelpha.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=649#649
Patch4: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fallout-world/OutcastPatch4.zip
15.02.2010, 21:42 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
terence_13
Apprentice

Post Reply with quote
HI,

Apparently I am not up-to date with upload-providers. Here a Megaupload link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=20J2E317

I forgot to mention: this file patches OC3.exe of patch 3. If it turns out, that this file is language-specific, please send me the corresponding oc3.exe and I will modify it.

Also, this patch can be considered as sort of a cheat, as you will be able to run through mud like there is none. In the original Outcast, you switch from running to walking as soon as you enter mud. If people prefere this, I could do this. But as computers turn faster, it will again be a problem in the future. The current patch is "future proof". I guess Appeal did a implementation bug: from the current running speed of cutter, the speed multiplied by factor 0.85 is substracted. And it apperas this speed is wrongly linked with framerate. I tried to modified this factor from 0.85 to 0.99999, and cutter is walking thorugh mud normally.

And regarding the Twon-Ha: I did not know that this bug can be circumvented. The only solution I know is to use CPU-Burn to slowdon your computer to turtle-speed, then riding is no problem. So I guess there is better solution and I will try to find it as soon as I have some more hours left. In a way it ridiculous to spend time on a 10 year old game, but i like the intellectual challenge and REALLY love this game.

Best,
Terence
16.02.2010, 21:07 View user's profile Send private message
atomicJo
Journeyman

Post Reply with quote
thanks for the link.
I noticed one thing while recording my game in Outcast, walking speed is correct/realistic when playing at 30 fps

My Outcast Speedrun : http://www.planet-adelpha.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=649#649
Patch4: http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fallout-world/OutcastPatch4.zip
16.02.2010, 22:02 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Toshiro
Apprentice

Post Reply with quote
Hey that's great!
Worked for me!
If you can find a way to solve the twonha problem that would be an awesome gift to the community.

Quote:
Also, this patch can be considered as sort of a cheat, as you will be able to run through mud like there is none. In the original Outcast, you switch from running to walking as soon as you enter mud. If people prefere this, I could do this.

Maybe you can do this and add some variable to the Patch-application so that it can be applied to more powerful PCs later on. Just a suggestion Smile
17.02.2010, 13:01 View user's profile Send private message
terence_13
Apprentice

Post Reply with quote
It cost me quite some time, but I also nailed down the Twon-Ha bug. So if you apply this patch, Outcast should feel like 1999, just faster and smoother. No need to slowdown the Computer with tools like CPU-Burn.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=U98GO4LF

Above are two patches: one restores outcast to what is was in 1999, the other is for the impatient; it lets additionally cutter run in rice filds (instead of walking).

Enjoy,
Terence
20.02.2010, 02:02 View user's profile Send private message
Messiah
Administrator

Post Reply with quote
Wow... fantastic!!

Just one question: does it also work with the DVD version of the game?
The DVD version does not need patch3 to be installed... did you try it with your patch4?
Just curios...
20.02.2010, 11:53 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
terence_13
Apprentice

Post Reply with quote
The file OC3.exe is patched. If there are different version around, it will probably fail. If it does, please send me the corresponding OC3.exe (make sure it is the original one)
20.02.2010, 13:50 View user's profile Send private message
bj

Post Reply with quote
Terence,

i was so happy to find your patches. I installed the game recently (with all 3 existing patched) and played the game for a while. When i now like to run your patch, i get the error message "\outcast\oc\oc3.ext - CRC32 Error. Version mismatch, or File is already patched!"

Do you have some suggestions what to do? Will try sending you my oc3.exe file
thanks!
24.02.2010, 12:56 View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    Planet-Totems & Planet-Adelpha Forum Index » Outcast All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: