Basil Caunter Cochrane

A problem shared is a problem halved. Post your family history queries here and see if you can help others.

Re: Basil Caunter Cochrane

Postby Ian Cochrane » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Wahian wrote:On 23 August, 1886 at Clerkenwell Court, there was a Basil Cochrane charged with Fraud; judgement was held over to a later date. May or may not be him.

ksouthall wrote:There was an interesting comment in the sentencing columns:-
A Basil Cochrane, alias George M Donald was charged with three counts of imposing and sentenced to four months in gaol in Dunedin, New Zealand, in the late 1880s. I have no idea if Basil Cochrane was his original name or the alias, so will check this out further for you. I have attached a photo of the New Zealand Basil aka George in case you can spot a family likeness. The photo was taken on 28th March 1889.

I also found records through Australian Newspapers in Brisbane of him being imprisoned for 4 years AND an additional 6 months for being rude to the court in April 1892. I got his photo from the NSW Archives when in prison in 1890 for 18 months and its the same man!

I just got his death certificate... :shock:
At the age of 77 in 1945, he died of natural causes in WANDSWORTH PRISON :!: :!:
He must have spent most of his life in prison! No wonder the family didn't want to talk about him.

Now all I have to do is find out:
.....Why was he in prison at the end :?:
.....How he got to Australia - did he jump bail :?:
.....How he got back - was he deported :?:

Anyone got any ideas how to find out?

Thanks
Ian. :?
Ian Cochrane

Postby Wahian » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:08 am

It might be also worth noting on 7th February 1837 at Clerkenwell Court, his father Archibald, and appears to be along with a William Stuart Cochrane, were both found guilty of Assault; both sentences say--Discharged with Surities.
Wahian

Postby ksouthall » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:24 am

Wahian wrote:It might be also worth noting on 7th February 1837 at Clerkenwell Court, his father Archibald, and appears to be along with a William Stuart Cochrane, were both found guilty of Assault; both sentences say--Discharged with Surities.

Ian has details of this case already, in which there was a family dispute. I had sent him a private message as it affected his direct ancestor, whereas Basil Junior is an indirect ancestor. Quote from Ian:

"Archibald's "natural" father was the Hon. Basil Cochrane, uncle to Lord Cochrane, 10th Earl of Dundonald. Basil was sued by Archibald's mother and her eventual husband, an apparent rogue called Harrison. Harrison was the person assaulted by Archibald and his brother William Stuart."

This may explain Basil junior's use of the surname "Donald" in New Zealand.

I hope you don't mind me using this quote, Ian.

Basil Junior sounds an interesting character. Ian seems to have found out loads more about him. I wonder if his grandmother's marriage to Mr Harrison had a long term effect on the family fortunes, if he was able to successfully sue Basil Senior.
ksouthall

Postby Ian Cochrane » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:41 pm

ksouthall wrote:Basil was sued by Archibald's mother and her eventual husband, an apparent rogue called Harrison. Harrison was the person assaulted by Archibald and his brother William Stuart."

Sorry, but Basil successfully counter-charged and Harrison ended up in jail! He keeps cropping up, at one point saying he wants to destroy "the whole Cochrane family". :shock:
Ian
Ian Cochrane

Postby ksouthall » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:23 am

Ian Cochrane wrote:
ksouthall wrote:Basil was sued by Archibald's mother and her eventual husband, an apparent rogue called Harrison. Harrison was the person assaulted by Archibald and his brother William Stuart."

Sorry, but Basil successfully counter-charged and Harrison ended up in jail! He keeps cropping up, at one point saying he wants to destroy "the whole Cochrane family". :shock:
Ian

I'm glad Harrison got what he probably deserved. He sounds like a nasty piece of work - probably a gold digger, trying to get to the Cochrane money through Archibald's mother.
ksouthall

Previous

Return to Help with your research