home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > NEWS

Old 06-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
MattBrady

JIM SHOOTER WRITES NEW HARBINGER STORY FOR HC COLLECTION

Press Release
Comics legend and co-architect of the original Valiant Comics universe, Jim Shooter, has written a new Harbinger story for the upcoming Valiant hardcover collection, HARBINGER: THE BEGINNING. The deluxe hardcover by Valiant Entertainment collects the full Harbinger origin story (Harbinger #0-7) for the first time ever, and includes an all-new “Origin of Harada” story by Jim Shooter that features the first appearance of a new key Valiant character!

Harbinger #0-7 has been digitally recolored and remastered using state-of-the-art computer techniques, and the all-new “Origin of Harada” story features art by former Valiant creator Bob Hall (Shadowman).

Harbinger reinvented the superhero team genre and became one of the most successful comic series of the 1990s, selling over 5 million comic books. The classic story of Sting’s band of renegade teenagers with extraordinary powers of the mind and their battle against Japanese tycoon Toyo Harada took the comics industry by storm in 1992. Harbinger‘s first issue was named “Collectible of the Decade” by Wizard Magazine, appeared in the #1 position of Wizard Magazine’s Top Ten list for a then-record eight consecutive months, and in 2006 was named the 1990s “Comic Book of the Decade” by Sequart. It features Eisner Award-winner David Lapham’s (Stray Bullets) very first work as a talented teenager and one of Jim Shooter’s greatest stories ever.

Creator Jim Shooter has had a long and storied career in the industry. He began his professional writing career at age 13, a world record, crafting some of the seminal Legion of Super Heroes stories for DC Comics. At the age of 28, he became Editor-in-Chief of Marvel Comics. During his nine-year tenure, he oversaw some of Marvel’s most influential creations and storylines, such as Spider-Man’s black costume and the creation of Venom, the X-Men’s Dark Phoenix Saga, and Frank Miller’s run on Wolverine and Daredevil. In 1990, Shooter co-founded Valiant Comics, where he co-wrote and co-created some of the most popular and critically acclaimed characters since Marvel’s heyday in the 1960s, including Harbinger, X-O Manowar, Shadowman, and Archer and Armstrong, among others.

Jason Kothari, CEO of Valiant Entertainment said, “We are very excited to be collecting this classic story and giving readers the opportunity to experience it like never before, utilizing all that the latest in digital coloring has to offer and including Jim Shooter’s fascinating new story that expands the rich Valiant mythology.”

HARBINGER: THE BEGINNING (JUN073932), published by Valiant Entertainment, is solicited in the June Previews (Volume XVII #6) and scheduled to arrive in comic book stores nationwide on August 29th, 2007. The book marks the milestone return of comics legend Jim Shooter and is a full-color 192 page hardcover with a suggested retail price of $24.95.

About Valiant Entertainment

Valiant Entertainment, Inc. is a character-based entertainment company that owns and manages some of the most popular comic characters ever created across all media, including feature films, television, video games, new media, publishing, and consumer products. Since its creation in 1990, Valiant has sold over 80 million comic books, 8 million video games, and became one of the three leading comic character-based companies globally. In addition, the "Valiant characters are often called the most important characters created since the Marvel revolution of the 1960s." (Sequart, 2006) VALIANT™ characters include X-O MANOWAR®, BLOODSHOT®, HARBINGER™, ETERNAL WARRIOR™, DOCTOR MIRAGE™, NINJAK™, SHADOWMAN®, RAI™, and QUANTUM & WOODY™, among many others. Visit ValiantEntertainment.com for more information.
Newsarama Note: As Newsarama readers will recall, Valiant Entertainment Inc. is not the original "Valiant" from the '90s, but rather the Kothari/Shamdasani group which purchased the Acclaim assets "as is" at the company's bankruptcy sale. As Newsarama also reported, ownership of the trademarks for the characters formerly published by Valiant has been applied for by a third party, Valiant Intellectual Properties, LLC.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
theodoros

Oh boy... maybe Valiant is back? I miss Tyrok, Doctor Mirage...

Old 06-06-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
johnny.blaze

wow that's bad ass

Old 06-06-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
aric_dacia

Oh. Hell. Yes.

I'd give just about anything for a new X-O Manowar series.....

Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
artiepants

nice that they're recolouring these, one thing i remember really having a problem with in the old valiant days was the way they were coloured, looked all soft and washed out.

does annyone know the status of the Valiant stuff with Magnus and Solar? are these reprints going to have to omit their appearances? Be a shame if all that great BWS stuff doesn't get redone...

Old 06-06-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
vbartilucci

Played right, this could be a brand new universe for readers to read and enjoy.

Played wrong, it's gonna feel like a reunion tour on a cruise ship. Just...embarassing.

As guessed, they're only mentioning the new characters, not the ones owned by Western Publishing.

I can only say...I hope Jim has nothing to do wth the money side.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #7
Speedball93

It would be nice to revisit some of these characters and see where they could take them now. Who knows.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 AM   #8
Aaron

Okay, I love Valiant and all, but this is seriously one of the most over-hyped series EVER. It's "okay" at best. It was a fun book, and yeah it sold a ton of comics during a time when even total crap was selling in the hundreds of thousands.

That said, it's good to see Shooter getting some work again. The man has an old-school style that appeals to me, so I'll be picking this up solely for the new story.

Aaron

Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
kingofcities

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBrady
The deluxe hardcover by Valiant Entertainment collects the full Harbinger origin story (Harbinger #0-7) for the first time ever, and includes an all-new “Origin of Harada” story by Jim Shooter that features the first appearance of a new key Valiant character!

So can we assume this means there will be more Shooter written Valiant books?

Either way, today is a good day.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #10
A-Newton

Hrm. One of the things that frustrates me most in modern comics is the overuse of 'all the latest techonology of computer coloring'. I really appreciated the coloring of the old Valiant books. Rather wish they were keeping it...

Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #11
SmileOnADog

Harbinger was "Heroes" before there was "Heroes". The first few years of Valiant comics were amazing, fun, well-planned, and original. While Marvel and Image were trying to be hip, Valiant was just plain good.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 AM   #12
Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattBrady
In addition, the "Valiant characters are often called the most important characters created since the Marvel revolution of the 1960s."

Really.

"Often called."

By who?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:15 AM   #13
kingofcities

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Newton
Hrm. One of the things that frustrates me most in modern comics is the overuse of 'all the latest techonology of computer coloring'. I really appreciated the coloring of the old Valiant books. Rather wish they were keeping it...

I actually like modern coloring tech but I loved the old Valiant look too. Very unique.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #14
Street Carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileOnADog
Harbinger was "Heroes" before there was "Heroes". The first few years of Valiant comics were amazing, fun, well-planned, and original. While Marvel and Image were trying to be hip, Valiant was just plain good.

I was thinkin' the exact same thing.

(ian)

Old 06-06-2007, 10:35 AM   #15
Sean McKeever

Yay! With new coloring and new material! I can't wait to get that sucker in my hands!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #16
BKThomson

I would love to have a collected edition of Archer and Armstrong.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:43 AM   #17
Silencer

Interesting. I've only read a handful of Valiant books so I'm hardly a hardcore fan. I might pick this up but I wonder if it will seem really dated in 2007. I'm surprised there's a new story in with old material, too. I'm also surprised that these characters haven't been reinvented 500 times like everything else is these days.

I tried to read the linked thread article about who owns what of the Valiant universe. Trying to understand it gave me a bloody nose and a migraine. Am I the only one who doesn't get it?

Old 06-06-2007, 10:49 AM   #18
dchart1

New coloring will help these stories a lot. That was the worst part of the original Valiant. I just hope this doesn't bring back the days of "Chromiun" covers, etc. The speculator boom almost killed the industry back then. We don't need it again.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #19
roach04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack
Really.

"Often called."

By many of us! Shooter got the job on LOSH at DC by writing characters the same way Marvel was writing them at that time. DC wanted to tap that audience. The coolest part was that they had no idea how old he was. At the start of the Marvel U, their stories were leaps and bounds better than DC or Charlton. The Shooter Valiant era holds the same claim - there were some good books from the other publishers, but nothing at the level of the pre-Unity Valiant.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:51 AM   #20
kingofcities

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKThomson
I would love to have a collected edition of Archer and Armstrong.

Ditto. Same with Rai, Shadowman and XO.

Hell, most of em'.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:55 AM   #21
vbartilucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pack
Really.

"Often called."

By who?
"Sequart", whatever that is.

Quote:
Harbinger was "Heroes" before there was "Heroes".
Well, you could say that about any book that had characters that discovered they were better than the average person, right on back to Philip Wylie's "Gladiator" (Which as far as I'm concerned, every superhero fan should read). I get real sick of people trying to find where people "stole" the idea for something. If you liked what was done it's be an "homage", if you don't, it's "theft".

Quote:
The first few years of Valiant comics were amazing, fun, well-planned, and original. While Marvel and Image were trying to be hip, Valiant was just plain good.

Like early Marvel, it was one man writing the whole universe. I sat in on a Valiant story session once - it was like a pitch meeting for an animated cartoon. People gave ideas, some were folded into the story, some were tabled for later, and then Jim went and wrote the story. Very unique method.

Valiant tried things that hadn't been done in comics for a while. Harbinger suggested that maybe the hero is on the wrong side of the argument. Eternal Warrior was a classic plot idea (See Casca the Mercenary, et al) that had never been given a real try in comics form. And Archer and Armstrong was the exact opposite of that: got an ememy? Just move to France and drink for a century; he'll die, you win.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #22
vbartilucci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McKeever
Yay! With new coloring and new material! I can't wait to get that sucker in my hands!
Hey, no fair showing up in this thread, no one even MENTIONED you...

Old 06-06-2007, 11:00 AM   #23
sonicdan

I can't wait for this collection! One of the best storylines ever.
I have already ordered it at my LCS. Looking forward to seeing what is offered next!
DAN

Old 06-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #24
siren3-4

Pre-orders for this HC can be as low as $14.00 so there is no reason not to give it a try if you are on the fence !!!

But even if you get it from you LCS $25 is really not bad for everything you are getting . .

Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 AM   #25
johnchrist

Ooooh Valiant!