Letter from the CEO
What does the merger mean for you?
We are pleased to announce that we have completed the legal closing of the merger with United Airlines®. We can now begin our journey to create the world's leading airline.
As a loyal Continental customer, you might be wondering what this means for you. For now, it's business as usual. Each airline and frequent flyer program will continue to operate separately. Rest assured, the merger won't affect miles in your account or your elite status:
- Both United® Mileage Plus® and Continental OnePass® miles and programs remain unchanged. You will continue to receive all current benefits and you will earn miles, points and segments as usual. You will also continue to be able to earn and use miles on 28 Star AllianceTM airline partners.
- When flying Continental, you should continue to use continental.com or contact a Continental customer service representative for any assistance you might need. For flight check-in use continental.com, Continental kiosks or Continental ticket counters at the airport.
- When flying United, you should continue to use united.com or contact a United customer service representative for any assistance you might need. For flight check-in use united.com, United kiosks or United ticket counters at the airport.
- Red Carpet Club® and Presidents Club® members will continue to enjoy access to each other's lounge network, as well as to Star Alliance network and affiliated lounges around the world. Also, beginning today, Red Carpet Clubs offer free wireless Internet access and a selection of complimentary alcoholic beverages.
Coming later this month, elite members will enjoy reciprocal access to complimentary elite upgrades and preferred economy seating on United and Continental flights. United elite members will have access to Continental's preferred seating, and Continental elite members will have access to United's Economy Plus® seating.
Integrating two airlines is complex. We expect the full integration of United and Continental to take between 12 and 18 months. However, during that time, you will see improvements in your travel experience, and we are committed to making the new United your carrier of choice. We'll keep you informed of our progress through e-mail and on our websites. More information, including FAQs, is available at continental.com.
This is an exciting time for all of us, and we look forward to serving you as the world's leading airline.
Chief Executive Officer
About the new company
About United Continental Holdings, Inc.
United Continental Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: UAL) is the holding company for both United Airlines and Continental Airlines. Together with United Express, Continental Express and Continental Connection, these airlines operate a total of approximately 5,800 flights a day to 371 airports throughout the Americas, Europe and Asia from their hubs in Chicago, Cleveland, Denver, Guam, Houston, Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco, Tokyo and Washington, D.C. United and Continental are members of Star Alliance, which offers more than 21,200 daily flights to 1,172 airports in 181 countries worldwide through its 28 member airlines. United’s and Continental’s more than 80,000 employees reside in every U.S. state and in many countries around the world. For more information about United Continental Holdings, Inc., go to UnitedContinentalHoldings.com. For more information about the airlines, see united.com and continental.com, and follow each company on Twitter and Facebook.
News and Updates
Find our latest merger news and announcements here. Check back often, we’ll be updating this page with the latest information on combined services, programs and benefits — as well as our integration progress.View the merger press release
Frequent flyer programs
Your miles, upgrades and frequent flyer status are safe. You’ll continue to earn and use your miles as usual while we work to align our frequent flyer programs over the next few months. Learn more about United Mileage Plus®
and Continental OnePass®
Our combined networks span the globe and have few overlaps. Use this interactive map to explore our comprehensive routes by departure city.View route map
Executive Team Bios
Meet our leadership team and learn about our corporate structure.View bios
Visit our investor relations site to find financial news, company updates and other corporate announcements.View Investor Relations
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use my United ticket on Continental or vice versa?
2. Now that the merger has closed, how do I book my travel?
3. If I have questions regarding the status of my frequent flyer account, whom should I contact?
4. Will my future travel reservations be affected now that the merger is completed?
5. What changes can I expect to see immediately? Are there any new customer benefits?
View all FAQs