US Department of Agriculture Forest Service
National Forest

YOU ARE HERE: Home > General Info > Passes & Permits > Recreation Passes & Permits > Wilderness Permits
 SearchContact UsPrivacy and Legal

General Info
Your Forest
Forest Management
News And Events

Wilderness Permits

Entry permits are required between the Friday of Memorial Day weekend and October 31 for all groups that enter all wildernesses in the Willamette and Deschutes National Forests. All wilderness permits are free of charge.

Limited Entry Permits are required for overnight and day visits to the Obsidian area (Three Sisters Wilderness) and the Pamelia area (Mt. Jefferson Wilderness). The special permits are ONLY issued at Detroit Ranger District (Willamette NF) for the Pamelia area; McKenzie Ranger District (Willamette NF) and Sisters Ranger District (Deschutes NF) for the Obsidian area.

Permits may be obtained by phone or in person within 30 days of your group's planned trip. When you inquire about a permit, please be prepared to supply the following information:

  1. First, second and third choices (locations and dates)
  2. Proposed arrival and departure date
  3. Trailhead entry point and exit point
  4. Number of people in your group (not more than 12)
  5. Number of stock, if applicable (not more than 12)

Self-Issue Permits are available at all trailheads for day and overnight visits to areas not affected by use limits. Information from permits will help us determine use trends over time.

Please note: The Northwest Forest Pass is required at some trailheads on National Forests in Oregon and Washington. These passes are distinct from the wilderness permits. Go to the Recreation Passes & Permits page for more information on the Northwest Forest Pass, including cost and how to get a pass.

The goal of wilderness management is to manage human use and influences so as not to alter natural processes. You can help by carefully planning your next visit into the wilderness and by following all regulations posted on trailhead bulletin boards. Handy regulation cards are also available at trailheads and Forest Service offices.


Website Accessibility