Stonyhurst has a distinguished history. Founded in 1593 at St Omer in what is now northern France, it was established to provide a Catholic education for English families unable to educate their children in their Faith at home.
In 1762 the College moved to Bruges and in 1773 to Liege. In the aftermath of the French Revolution the Jesuits made what was to prove their final move in 1794 when they settled on the Stonyhurst estate given to them by a former St Omer pupil - Thomas Weld.
In subsequent centuries the Jesuits added to the College on a grand scale so that today it is one of the largest buildings under one roof in Europe and is Grade1* listed by English Heritage for its architecture and setting. Inevitably over a 400 year period there have been many fine achievements and distinguished former pupils. Three have been declared Saints and 7 designated Beati. The Victoria Cross, the highest award for bravery in battle, has been gained by no fewer than 7 of the College's former pupils.