Audi A42002-08 models mfg. after Feb. 2002
FRONTAL OFFSET TEST
|Structure/safety cage||Injury measures||Restraints/dummy kinematics|
|Head/neck||Chest||Leg/foot, left||Leg/foot, right|
Important: Frontal crash test ratings can be compared only among vehicles of similar weight.
Good Acceptable Marginal Poor
The Audi A4 was redesigned for the 2002 model year. Audi A4s manufactured after February 2002 include structural changes to improve occupant protection in frontal crashes. (Note: Information about when a specific vehicle was manufactured is on the certification label typically affixed to the car on or near the driver door.)
The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety has evaluated the crashworthiness of a 2002 A4 with the structural changes in a 40 mph frontal offset crash test into a deformable barrier.
The frontal offset crash test ratings also apply to the station wagon version of the A4, known as the A4 Avant, beginning with 2002 models manufactured after February 2002.
Restraints/dummy kinematics — Dummy movement was well controlled. During rebound, the dummy's head hit the roof rail and B-pillar.
Injury measures — Measures taken from the dummy indicate a low risk of any significant injuries in a crash of this severity. Head acceleration from the roof rail hit was low, and it was negligible from the B-pillar contact.
Left to right:
- Action shot taken during the frontal offset crash test.
- The dummy's position in relation to the steering wheel and instrument panel after the crash test indicates that the driver's survival space was maintained well.
- Smeared greasepaint indicates where the dummy's head hit the roof rail during rebound. Head acceleration from this hit was low.
- Intrusion into the driver's space was minimal, and all leg and foot injury measures were low.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags (standard); rear seat-mounted torso airbags (optional)
- Electronic stability control
- Antilock brakes
- Daytime running lights
Tested vehicle specifications:
- 2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro 4-door 4wd
- Class: Midsize luxury/near luxury car
- Weight: 3,569 lbs.
- Side airbags: front and rear head curtain airbags and front seat-mounted torso airbags
- Wheelbase: 104 in.
- Length: 179 in.
- Width: 70 in.
- Engine: 1.8 L turbocharged 4-cylinder
- EPA ratings: 19 mpg city | 28 mpg highway