Support: Software Updates
Our current software update has exciting new features and improves NOOK's overall performance. Included in Version 1.4:
1. Extended AT&T Wi-Fi® Hotspot support — FREE and seamless connection to AT&T's entire nationwide Wi-Fi® network including restaurants, hotels and additional locations, and wherever you see an AT&T Wi-Fi® sign.
2. New extra extra large font size
3. Go-To Page feature allows users to go to a specific page in their eBook
The software update is via manual download, available here or, for NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi®, via automatic download. (Note: This update will not be distributed via the 3G network.) For an automatic Wi-Fi® update, you may need to tap 'Check for new B&N content' in the My Library area in order to initiate the update.
If you don't have a registered NOOK, or if you don't have Wi-Fi®, you can manually download the software update to your computer and then copy it onto your NOOK. Simply follow these steps:
Manual Download Instructions
1. Tap Settings on your NOOK's Home menu and make sure your NOOK battery charge is at 20% or more.
2. Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable that came with your NOOK. A new, removable NOOK drive should show up in My Computer (Mac users will see the NOOK drive appear on the desktop or in devices). You should also see a "USB Mode" image on your NOOK screen.
3. Click the link above to download and save the software update to your computer. Please remember where you save this file on your computer.
4. Drag and drop the downloaded file onto the main directory of the NOOK drive. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to an existing folder.
5. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer is complete.
6. Your NOOK will recognize the file and proceed to install the updates.
7. Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
8. Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart and go to the Home screen.
9. Congratulations, your NOOK has been updated! If you need additional help, please call Customer Service NOOK support at 1-800-843-2665.
NOOK V1.4 improves performance while adding great new features. Key updates include:
• Extended AT&T Wi-Fi® Hotspot support — FREE and seamless connection to AT&T's entire nationwide Wi-Fi® network including restaurants, hotels and additional locations, and wherever you see an AT&T Wi-Fi® sign.
• New extra extra large font size
• Go-To Page feature allows users to go to a specific page in their eBook
The V1.4 update is available immediately as a manual download and, for those NOOKs connected to Wi-Fi®, as an automatic download. To get the software update right now, follow the instructions above for manual download. If your NOOK is registered and has Wi-Fi® connectivity (Airplane mode should be OFF and Wi-Fi® should be turned ON and connected to a hotspot), the device will automatically download the software and install it on your NOOK. If connected to Wi-Fi® and you'd like to get the update, you can tap 'Check for new B&N content' under My Library. However, if the update does not start automatically, please try again in a couple of hours or the next day or follow the instructions above to download the update file manually.
The process takes approximately 5-7 minutes via Wi-Fi® or 4-5 minutes for the manual download (depending on your connection). You should NOT turn your NOOK off while the new software is being downloaded. Once the software update is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart and display the Home screen. The software update will preserve your personal settings, including your registered account information, content, display settings, and Wi-Fi® settings.
To verify you have the latest update, go to Settings from the Home menu and check to see that your Software version is 1.4.
Our biggest update since NOOK was launched one year ago will deliver the most requested features and performance enhancements, including:
Faster page turns
Improved search on the device
Customized Barnes & Noble Library organization
Syncing last page read across NOOK and all devices enabled by our free NOOK apps
The V1.5 update is expected to be available in late November via Wi-Fi or manual download from this page.