Chat Room [2]
Go Back   The Bear Insider - Covering Cal Sports 24 x 7 > Other Topics > Frequently Asked Questions - Boards
Reload this Page Please get the loading problem fixed.
Notices

(#1) Old
Active Bear

FlashingScriptCal Please get the loading problem fixed. - 08-12-2009, 06:45 PM

Gray et al., please give this priority; I'm not a techie so didn't get the fix it ideas offered.
Thanks-
  (#2) Old
Publisher, Bear Insider

08-12-2009, 07:36 PM

This is a much more complex issue than is widely understood.

Just to provide a counter-factual, I and the few others I have asked about this are not experiencing any slowdown in website page loading. Not any.

In fact, my pages are loading as quickly as they ever have - and I have no special access to the site. I use a browser to see pages there, just like you and everyone else.

What theory can account for that discrepancy?

The best is to note that there are numerous steps between a request you make for a page and your browser actually receiving it. A typical Internet route between user and server involves 5 to 8 steps between routers - and any one of them, combined with local Internet congestion on any of the 15 links between you and the server and back - can cause slower deliveries.

Free software is available that can let you "ping" (as in submarines) a server in order to see every step on the route - and the time delays delays experienced at each. What you learn by using the software is that lots of delays just crop up at random.

Serious delays can also be caused by your local ISP. Have you measured their performance? (The router-step software can show you that). Maybe they are growing in traffic load but not as fast in processing capacity?

What I'm saying, bottom line, is that because the server is delivering pages without delay to some readers - including me - the website and server are most likely NOT the cause of the delays you are experiencing. If some readers are receiving data quickly, how could it be otherwise?

I know this answer is frustrating - I too suffer that when slowdowns occur at any website - but I have to say I seriously doubt it is a server or website problem.

For the record, we have a completely independent server/computer that supports this website only - unlike either Rivals or Scout who depend on multiple servers that support their entire network - and can get bogged down for innumerable reasons. Ours is located in Santa Clara with a near-direct link to the single highest bandwidth location in the world - the original and primary hub of the "world-wide" web.

I hope deliveries to you improve.
  (#3) Old
Website Administrator

CCleaner and chat ping - 08-12-2009, 07:59 PM

This free software will clear your cache, history, cookies, etc.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

It was recommended by computer radio talkshhow hostess Kim Komando http://komando.com.

If you are subscribers, go to chat. Type /ping and see if that makes the connection faster.

GO BEARS !!!
  (#4) Old
Loyal Bear

Any tips and tricks or guidelines.... - 09-17-2009, 04:43 PM

for using ccleaner? I have the software and have used it some. But I'm leary of clearing _all_ my cookies and can't wade through the thousands there, and even if I could, I wouldn't recognize most of them. There are other similar drawbacks to some of the other functions.

BTW, nice to see you active on the boards again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calfans View Post
This free software will clear your cache, history, cookies, etc.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

It was recommended by computer radio talkshhow hostess Kim Komando http://komando.com.

If you are subscribers, go to chat. Type /ping and see if that makes the connection faster.