The German 1888 Commission Rifle Collectors Forum
Gew88.com, Gew 88, Gewehr 88, German 1888 Commission Rifle
Gew 88 Nomenklatur Gew 88 Assembly Prussian Soldiers Gew 88 Forum Gew 88 Links
Gew 88 Collectors Forum - Geman 1888 Commission Rifles Collectors Forum
Gew 88 Collectors Forum - German 1888 Commission Rifle Collectors Forum
FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A Collectors Guide to the German Gew 88 Commission Rifle

Barrel Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gew 88 Collectors Forum - Geman 1888 Commission Rifles Collectors Forum Forum Index -> Gew 88 Restoration Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
8x57mauser
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Barrel Question Reply with quote

I've been working on one of my project Gew.88 and have run into a little hangup.

its a mixed gun, however jacket,receiver, front and rear sight, trigger all match. the rest is a little of this and a little of that. german bolt, overall nice unturked rifle. still has the rear sight with the extra sight leaf and still loads with packet clips.

my question is this. I believe it to be a SA rifle as it has a czech barrel and from what i can tell so far and very tight bore.

Im building this to be a shooter, so im looking to re-barrel this.

What am i looking at for options?

i like the sound of a new made barrel but at the present time am having a hard time justifying the price just to build a range beater.

would one of the turk barrels from the turk conversions work?

are there any other german made guns which barrels would fit, (like something in 7x57 or other caliber.

just trying to check all my options first before i make any moves, thanks in advance.
predictatv
Oberleutnant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a pick of barrels in small ring Mauser. I just sported two with 7X57 bores. Then there's 7.65 Argentine. 308 Also true 8X57. Small ring Turk 98's will generally work. They are small ring and large receiver types. Most are very good barrels. Have done two 88's and two Hamyangs so. You'll have to work down the front of barrel on most bores. As they have a larger muzzle than a shrouded Gew 88. Also, you "may" have to work down the chamber on outside. To clear shroud ring. There seems to be two sizes of 88 tubes.

On one Turk barrel I had to reduce the chamber flat surface edge just a smidge. To clear and fit with inner seat.

Always make dead sure you bottom the barrel against inner seat. Proper head space.

308's seem hardest to get.
8x57mauser
Grenadier

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info. i had a feeling thats the direction i would be going but i wanted to make sure before i made a move. i'll probably keep it in 8x57 or maybe 7x57 only because that would probably be the best to work with the packet clips. i have an old chilean 1895 parts rifle i could always pull the barrel from.
midmichigun
Hauptmann

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, Pred has a good point. I have been hunting for "cheap" small ring barrels for awhile.
There is a vender (name skips my mind... Shaw?) who advertised barrels with the "proper" contour in true 8x57... however the price is rather steep, IMHO. Especially since some of us are putting together $5.00 gunshow specials from yesteryear.
I was kinda hoping to keep all my rifles in the 8mm configuration. I would rather not sport my guns in 7mm or 6.5. However, to each his own! Very Happy
I don't think we have enough people interested in a "group buy".... so I have been winging it on my own.
If I find any good links, I will post it here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gew 88 Collectors Forum - Geman 1888 Commission Rifles Collectors Forum Forum Index -> Gew 88 Restoration Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: