THE KISSINí FROG
Squeeze My Cheeks & Iíll
Give You a Kiss!
Created by Ms. Brenda
- Three 1 1/2" squares of 7 mesh plastic canvas
- (Each square has 10 holes per side)
- Green 4-ply yarn, cut three 1 1/2 yard lengths
- Two 1/2" pom poms
- Two wiggle eyes
- 2" x 3 1/2" piece of green felt
- Tacky glue
- Yarn or tapestry needle, size 20
- Pattern for flipper feet, Click here
This is a very easy craft, but an adult will need to assist younger children. After one is made using these instructions, you will be able to look at the frog that is completed to make more.
- To begin: never tie a knot in the end of the yarn. Instead, lay 1/2" of the end of the yarn on the wrong side of your canvas. Turn the canvas over then take the first stitches catching the 1/2" piece to hold it in place.
- For each of the three 1 1/2" squares thread the needle with a 1 1/2 yard length of green yarn. Begin in one corner leaving the corner square empty. Take a stitch from one corner to the other, working in a diagonal pattern. Repeat until the canvas square is covered. Do not cut off the extra yarn yet.
- For the back piece go ahead and tie off yarn after you have covered the piece by running the yarn on the wrong side under a few stitches and cut off.
- For the front face piece after you have covered it completely as in step 2 whipstitch two of the plastic canvas edges to give the edge a nice finish. When you cover the plastic edge take three stitches in the corner. This helps cover the plastic completely. Don't tie off yarn yet. This will be the frog's mouth on the top that opens.
- Place the square made for the back piece on top of the face piece, wrong sides together. Join the two edges by making whipstitches through both pieces. To finish: take the needle to the wrong side, slide the needle under several stitches and cut.
- For the bottom piece whipstitch around two of the sides. This is the bottom of the frog's mouth. Be sure to take three stitches in each corner.
- Place the bottom piece with the unfinished edges of the back piece. Whipstitch the pieces together. Carry the yarn to the wrong side, finish and cut.
- Glue two green 1/2" pom poms to the top of the face piece. The eyes are glued to the pom poms. Cut the flippers from a 2" x 3 1/2" piece of green felt. Use the pattern that we have provided in the materials list. Glue to the bottom piece of the frog.
- After the pom poms and eyes are completely dry, squeeze your frog's cheeks to open. Place a Hershey Kiss inside. You might want to attach a little note to the frog that says:
Squeeze My Cheeks and I'll Give You a Kiss!
Back to Craft Activities
Last update February 25, 2002
©2002 Kansas City, Kansas Public Library
Comments and questions to Webmaster