Guide to Hiring a Lawyer
If you are already involved in a lawsuit, or just considering getting help with a legal issue, you may have questions about working with a lawyer. Below you will find practical tips on choosing, meeting with, and hiring an attorney -- including information on fee agreements and expenses. Choose a link to get started.
- Do You Need a Lawyer?
- Choosing the Right Lawyer
- Questions to Ask a Lawyer (FindLaw Bookshelf)
- Agreements, Fees, and Expenses
- Getting Free and Low-Cost Legal Help
- Alternatives to Hiring a Lawyer
- Researching Attorney Discipline
- Lawyer Communication, Competency, Ethics and Fees: What to Expect from Your Legal Representative
- Lawyer Malpractice Basics FAQ
Hiring a Lawyer: Topic-Specific Information
- Car Accidents
- Divorce & Separation
- Criminal Law
- Employees' Rights
- Estate Planning
- Personal Injury
- How Can I Find and Hire the Right Lawyer? From the State Bar of California. Covers lawyer specialization, advertisements, fee agreements and more.
- Is having a lawyer "on retainer" the same thing as paying a "retainer fee"?
- Are there any practical considerations to keep in mind when choosing a lawyer?
- Where should I start to look for a lawyer?
- A friend recommended that I try a local dispute resolution center. What does this offer?
- Can I meet my lawyer before deciding to hire him or her?