NEM ID

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5> 5,178 Forum Members
Author
TomN View Drop Down

Nationality: USA
Online Status: Offline
  Quote TomN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NEM ID
    Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 8:21pm
Anyone had to switch over to NEM ID yet?  I just helped a friend set up her new NEM ID so she could get into her netbank, and I am not impressed.  What a huge joke on a national level.  You now have to carry around a plastic card that has 148 one-time use numeric codes on it, and just before you run out of codes this faceless company called DAN ID will supposedly mail you a new plastic card with 148 more one time codes.

Now to log into your netbank you have to type in a user ID, then a password, then they will flash a code on your screen and you have to look that code up on this plastic card.  You type in the matching code listed on the card, and then you can get into your netbank.

Oh, you lost the card?  You cannot get into your netbank until they mail you a new one.  So don't lose your keycard at the beginning of Danish summer vacation...

Giant step backward in user friendliness, and the resulting security is not significantly better than what you had already.

If you are dumb enough to write your user ID and your password on your keycard so you don't forget (and some people will), and lose the card, the person who finds your card has everything they need to clean you out financially from any computer anywhere on the planet.  At least with the old system they needed your computer to do it because the equivalent of the plastic card was installed only on your computer.

More to carry, no better security, and much more hassle.  I hate it already.  Thank you Denmark.

Americhick View Drop Down

Nationality: American
  Quote Americhick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:22pm
For us, it's pretty much the same as we use now for our bank (Jyske Bank), just a lot more codes. We never carried the cards around before, so no change there. My husband signed up for his online, which went quickly, then got his code card and password within a couple weeks. I'll get mine down at the commune one of these days.

So I guess we don't see it as going backwards, just staying the same. *shrugs* Not sure if it will be more hassle or not.
Americhick
I wander the world, and am at home in it
:D
Amber View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Amber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2010 at 10:53pm
I do not see any problem. Similar system has been used in many banks for a long time (maybe not one-time codes, but similar anyway). Losing the card causes you inconvenience? Well, don't lose it. It is as simple as that.
I do not carry the code card around, so there is no chance of losing it. And it is great that you do not need to go to the bank, but simply have the card mailed to you. Obviously, there are people who are just satisfied with the system and there are always some, who are not. There is really no need to say (yet again), how everything is stupid  in Denmark ...
Love one another and you will be happy. It is as easy and as difficult as that.
clutha View Drop Down

Online Status: Online
  Quote clutha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 12:18am
whats an NEM ID and netbank?

i have internet accounts, i dont need a card though.
just a PC, login, password and security info.
Heidi aka Fuzzy View Drop Down

Nationality: US Citizen
  Quote Heidi aka Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2010 at 9:36am
I'm not sure Tom is saying how everything in Denmark is stupid. This does sound counter-intuitive, not surprisingly. 
Accepting donations to the Make Heidi Leave DK fund. PM me for info on how to help!

Disclaimer: this pokes fun at the tired universally used "If you don't like it, why don't you leave?" meme.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>