Skip navigation links
Home
About Us
Services
Foundation
Health Information
Events
For Physicians
For Employees
Career Center
MEDIA
COMMUNITY OUTREACH
NEXTGEN STORIES
SPIRITUAL CARE
VOLUNTEERS

About Us

The Methodist Hospital School of Nursing


A School of Nursing opened at the hospital in 1915, with a class of 30 students. Ten years later, a residence was built to accommodate 150 graduate and student nurses. This four-story brick building, known as Philomena Hall, was connected to the hospital by an underground corridor and provided accommodations, classrooms and a gymnasium for the nurses. Beginning in 1944 (after a nine-year school closure), additional housing for nurses was provided in a refurbished residential house adjacent to Philomena Hall. After more than 40 years of operation and the graduation of hundreds of talented young nurses, the School of Nursing closed. Times had changed, and the practice of nursing education had moved into the domain of the formal education system. The school was phased out in 1958 with the graduation of the last nursing class.

2010 Methodist Hospital
Please direct all comments about this site to the Web Master