Date of Birth: 9th July 1930 (80 Years)
Place of birth: Nallamangudi Village,Tanjavur District
Educatioanl Qualification: B.Sc.(Zoology) in 1949 at Annamalai University
A Science graduate of Annamalai University, K.Balachander while working in the Accountant General’s Office as a Superintendent in the 1960s, came to prominence as an amateur playwright with his dynamic plays like Major Chandrakanth, Server Sundaram, Neerkumizhi, Mezhuguvarthi, Naanal and Navagraham.The plays, which were produced and directed by him, were an instant success and enjoyed both popular and critical acclaim. He has always been a firm believer that films should convey a message in some form or other.
He entered the film industry in 1965 and shot into fame with his very first film Neerkumizhi.Since then he has been a prolific filmmaker and written and directed films in many languages: Tamil, Telugu, Kannada and Hindi. His Hindi film Ek Duuje Ke Liye was a trendsetter and a runaway hit.
He has written, directed and produced more than 100 films and these have provided numerous opportunities for technicians’ such as cinematographers, music directors, play-back singers to demonstrate their talent in full measure and win awards at the stat as well as National Levels. He has the uncanny knack of spotting talent. He has been responsible for bringing into limelight and moulding many stars of the present day.
The last few years he has also turned his attention to the small screen and has brought to it the same perfection and intensity that he exhibited on the large screen.
His first Television serial Rail Sneham telecast in 1990 on Doordarshan is still remembered as a trend setter and his Kai Alavu Manasu is reputed to have made a Channel. He Introduced the very concept of ‘Mega Serials” with Raghu Vamsam on SUN TV and showed the way to the youth how even Mega Serials can be meaningful and taut with Anni and Sahana, both on Jaya Tv.
He has served the film industry as the President of the South Indian film Chamber of Commerce for a term and as the President of the Film Employees Federation of South India for three years.
AWARDS AND CITATIONS
• His films Iru Kodugal, Apporva Raagangal, Thanneer Thanneer and Achamilai Achamillai have won the Silver Lotus for the Best Regional film (Tamil) for the years 1970, 1974, 1982 and 1984 respectively.
• He won the National Award for Best Screenplay for the film Thanneer Thanneer in 1981.
• Rudra Veena, Telugu film directed by him was awarded the Nargis Dutt Award for Best Film on National Integration in 1989.
• Oru Veedu Iru Vaasal, Tamil film produced and directed by him was awarded the National Best Film on Social Issues in 1991.
• Roja, Tamil film. Produced by him won the Nargis Dutt Award for Best Film on National Integration 1993 and also won the Best Film of the year from the Government of Tamil Nadu.
• The Government of India awarded him PADMASHRI IN 1987 for his contribution to films.
• He was honoured by the Tamil Nadu Government with the title Kalaimamani in the year 1973 for excellence in filmmaking.
• The Tamil Nadu Government gave him Anna Award for his outstanding contribution to films in the year 1992.
• He has won the Andhra Pradesh Government Golden Nandi award for best feature film and Silver Nandi on a number of occasions.The Andhra Pradesh Government has also awarded him the Nandi Award for Best Screenplay for his film Kokilamma in 1982.
• The Government of Pandichery in 1993 awarded him the title of Kalai Maamedhai.
He was adjudged as the Best Film Technician of the year 1983 by the South Indian Cine Technicians Association and was the recipient of the AVM Award. In 1988, the south Indian Cine Technicians Association awarded him the MGR Award for his outstanding contribution to the film industry.
• He was the recipient of awards from the Film Fans Association for as many as 29 times in different categories as story writer, director, and producer. He was also honoured with the outstanding Contribution to Filmdom Award in 1992.
• Filmfare has awarded him on more than twelve occasions as Best Director and Best Film Producer.
• He has been awarded the For The Sake of Honour award, for his valuable service to society through films by the various Rotary Clubs in Tamil Nadu viz.Madras West (1987) Dindukkal West (1992), Tiruneveli West (1993) and Ambur (1993).
• Film Fare honoured him with a Life Time Achievement Award in 1995.
• The Serial Kai Alavu Manasu written and directed by him won the Onida Pinnacle Award in 1995.
• The Singapore Fans under the Presidentship of Hon Datto Samivelu Minister of Malaysia honoured him with a Lifetime Achievement Award in a very Gala Public Function on 30.03.1996 at the Singapore Stadium.
• Dinakaran, a tamil daily honoured him with a Lifetime Achievement Award in 1996 for his Contribution to Films.
• Central Government Employees Welfare Co-Ordination Committee honoured him in 1997 with a For The Sake of Honour Award in Recognition of his achievements in the field of Art & Culture through his outstanding stage plays, movies and television serials.
• Kalaignar Virudhu from the Murasoli Arakkattalai for the year 2000 with prize money of a Lakh of Rupees at Kalaignar Arangam on 27.01.2001.
• The Title: Pada Ulaga Brahmma from the Indian Citizens of Kuwait on 30.03.2000
• The Bhishma Virudhu for 2001 from The Ashram on 03.12.2001 at kamaraj Arangam, Chennai.
• The Title: Gnana Kala Bharathi from Bharat Kalachar a leading Sabha for his great contribution to theatre and films.
• The topmost award of Rotary international in a mammoth colourful function specially organised at the Nehru Indoor Stadium,Chennai on 09.04.2005 with the entire film industry participating.
• Doctor of Literature (Honoris Causa) from the Sathyabhama Deemed University on 16th September 2005.
• Doctor of Literature (Honoris Causa) from the Alagappa University,Karaikudi on 18th October 2005.
• The Bharathi Virudhu from the Vanavil Pannbattu Maiyam, Chennai on 11/12/2006.
• The Title: Kalaiulaga Bharathi; conferred by the Tamil Fraternity of Abu Dhabi at a glittering function on 22/12/2006.
• Doctor of Literature (Honoris Causa) from the Madras University, Chennai on 12th November 2007.
• Yuva Kala Vauhini ‘Pride of Indian Cinema Award’, 2007 at Ravindra Bharathi, Hyderabad on 6th April 2008.
• Lifetime Achievement’ award with a cash prize of Rs.50, 000/- for his contribution to Indian Cinema as part of the International Film Festival of India held in Goa on 30th November 2008.
• Lifetime Achievement’ award presented by JAYA TV on 24-12-2009.
• ‘Natya Kala Vipanchee’ award for outstanding and excellent service in the propagation of Tamil Theatre for the past several years, awarded by Dr.Balamuralikrishna on 31-12-2009.
• ‘Dr.MGR Award’ for outstanding contribution to films awarded on 30-01-2010 by Hon.Minister Dr.Jagatrakshagan.