Home Fact Sheets
Printable Fact Sheet
In 1938 the Air Corps bought a single DC-2 type aircraft. The plane, designated C-41, was very similar to the C-39 with only a few differences. The C-41 was powered by two Pratt & Whitney R-1830 radial engines with 1,200 hp each. The upgraded engines were more powerful than the 975-hp Wright radials of the C-39 and gave the C-41 a top speed of 225 mph -- 15 mph faster than the C-39. The cruising speed of the C-41 was nearly 50 mph faster than the C-39.
The other significant difference between the two types was the interior. The C-41 was bought as a senior staff transport, so the cabin was finished to allow in-flight staff work and meetings in addition to being more luxurious than the standard troop transport.
The C-41 was used by Gen. Henry H. "Hap" Arnold, Army Air Corps Chief of Staff, beginning in 1939.
Engines: Two Pratt & Whitney R-1830-21 radials of 1200 hp each
Maximum speed: 225 mph
Cruising speed: 204 mph
Range: 1,275 miles
Service ceiling: 21,000 ft.
Span: 85 ft. 0 in.
Length: 61 ft. 10 in.
Height: 18 ft. 8 in.
Weight: 26,300 lbs. maximum gross weight
Crew: Two (pilot and co-pilot)
Passenger capacity: 14
Serial numbers: C-41: 38-502; C-41A: 40-70
Click here to return to the Cargo Aircraftindex.