National Museum of the USAF   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Home > Fact Sheets > Douglas C-38

Douglas C-38

Posted Printable Fact Sheet
 
Photos
Previous ImageNext Image

The first C-33 built (S/N 36-70) was modified at the Douglas factory and became the sole C-38. The primary modification done to the plane was to replace the DC-2 style aft fuselage and tail with a DC-3 style tail section. The hybrid nature of this modification earned the plane the unofficial nickname "DC-2½".

Besides the changes to the tail, the C-38 was fitted with more a powerful version of the Wright R-1820 Cyclone radial engine. The new engines generated 930 hp each and were fitted with larger diameter constant speed propellers. A taller main landing gear was added to the plane to give the proper propeller ground clearance while taxiing.

The successful flight test program conducted with the C-38 led to a follow-on order for 35 production aircraft designated C-39s.

After testing was completed, the C-38 was used as a staff transport and served throughout World War II with the Army Air Forces until the spring of 1945.


Type Number built/
converted
Remarks
C-38 1 (cv) Modified C-33


TECHNICAL NOTES:
Engines: Wright R-1820-45 radials of 930 hp each
Maximum speed: 208 mph
Cruising speed: 170 mph
Range: 1,100 miles
Service ceiling: Approx. 20,000 ft.
Span: 85 ft. 0 in.
Length: 61 ft. 6 in.
Height: 19 ft. 7 in.
Weight: 18,500 lbs. maximum gross weight
Crew: Two (pilot and co-pilot)
Passenger capacity: 12 passengers or 2,400 lbs. of cargo
Serial number: 36-70

Click here to return to the Cargo Aircraftindex.







 Inside the Museum

ima cornerSearch

 


tabTell Us What You Think
tabCategories
tabMuseum Foundation
tabRelated Links
tabConnect

Museum Virtual TourMuseum Tour PodcastMuseum Facebook PageMuseum Twitter Page
Museum Flickr PageAir Force Blue Tube on YouTubeMuseum E-newsletter Sign-upMuseum RSS Feeds



AF Portal      Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing