Downtown Neighbourdhood Buildings


Delta Bessborough Hotel

601 Spadina Crescent East - Established: 1912

standard image...The Delta Bessborough is Saskatoon's landmark building, affectionately known as the Castle on the River. Designed by Archibald-Schofield of Montreal, with warm brick from Claybank in Southern Saskatchewan, this ten-story hotel is located in the heart of downtown Saskatoon.

The hotel was designed in the Chateau-style and built by the Canadian National Railway from 1928 to 1932. The Bessborough Hotel officially opened on December 10, 1935, with 1,000 people at the opening dance.

It was the last of the grand railway hotels built in Canada. Such a hotel is a kind of world on its own, with wonderful exterior and interior features. Original features include plaster relief art in the Battleford Ballroom and recovered chandelier medallions in the William Pascoe Foyer. The exterior boasts a copper roof along with Tyndall stone heraldic emblems, gargoyles and grotesques.

Each Prime Minister and Governor General to visit Saskatoon since 1935 have stayed at the Delta Bessborough Hotel.

Site Information:

Disabled accessWashroomsRestaurants

Disabled Access
Public Washrooms
Restaurants
Street Parking (Meters)

« back to participating buildings


Saskatoon Club

417 - 21st Street East - Established: 1912

standard image...The Saskatoon Club was formed in 1907 as a meeting place for Saskatoon’s business, professional and community leaders. The Saskatoon Club building was built in 1912 in the style of and Old-English gentlemen’s club. The original brick façade is intact and the recently renovated interior retains a traditional elegance.

Strictly for male members when it opened, the Saskatoon Club was an oasis during prohibition. The west addition was built in 1979 and it wasn’t until 1989 that women were welcomed as members of the Club.

Site Information:

Disabled accessWashrooms

Disabled Access
Public Washrooms
Street Parking (Meters)

« back to participating buildings


Drinkle Building

115 3rd Avenue South - Established: 1913

Drinkle BuildingThe Drinkle Building was designed by Thompson & Crockart and was constructed in 1913 for J.C. Drinkle. Drinkle moved to Saskatoon at 25 years of age in 1903, with less than $500 to his name. At this time Saskatoon was a dirt street town with a population of less than 500 people. Only ten years later Saskatoon was booming with a population of 28,000 and J.C. Drinkle had become a multi-millionaire.

The Drinkle Building, which has been known as Regent Plaza since 1976, was originally planned to be a ten-storey office tower with a grand cornice, marble corridors and a rooftop garden. As the money supply tightened in 1913, construction of the Drinkle Building was stopped halfway resulting in the five-storey building that stands on 3rd Avenue today. In 1917, J.C. Drinkle was bankrupted and the building remained empty for the first six years following its completion.

The building was never used for offices and was instead converted for residential use in 1919. Over the years the Drinkle Building has been home to many Saskatoon families and businesses.

A 72’ tall mural, “Founders,” has been added to the outside wall of the building depicting the portraits of seven of Saskatoon’s founders. A sundeck on the roof of the building provides panoramic views of the city.

Site Information:

Washrooms

Public Washrooms
Street Parking (Meters)

* Visitors to the Downstairs Mall will receive a guided tour of a photo exhibit sponsored by Heritage Canada entitled “J.C. Drinkle: Boom to Bust"

.

« back to participating buildings


Avenue Building

220 3rd Avenue South - Established: 1912

Avenue BuildingThe Avenue Building was built in 1912 in the Art Nouveau style. The building was originally home to MacMillan’s Department Store, which opened on October 1, 1913. The Star Phoenix estimated that 10,000 people crowded in the store during the grand opening celebration. At the time Saskatoon’s population was only 30,000 people.

Original interior features include unique mosaic tiling on the 3rd and 4th floors as well as the original freight elevator and an exposed glass brick sidewall. The hardwood floors in the basement were originally built for a dance hall over top of 600 old tires reinforced with horsehair.

Several movies and videos have been shot in the building over the years.

Site Information:

Disabled accessWashrooms

Disabled Access
Public Washrooms
Street Parking (Meters)

 

« back to participating buildings


Saskatoon Police Station Building

130 4th Avenue North - Established: 1977

Saskatoon Police Station BuildingThe Saskatoon Police Services building is the base of police operations and detention in the city. Designed by Forrester, Scott, Bowers & Walls Architects, the building was opened on June 26, 1977, and is currently staffed by 541 officers and administration.

Site Information:

Disabled access

Disabled Access
Street Parking (Meters)

* The building is a secured area with limited public access.

 

« back to participating buildings


McLean Block

265 – 3rd Avenue South - Established: 1913

standard image...The McLean building was constructed in 1913 by the design firm of Thompson, Daniel and Colhurst. The first occupants of the building were five real estate agents, a broker, a doctor and 11 private tenants. The building has been home to numerous commercial and private tenants over the years but until recently has been vacant since 2004.

The second and third floors of the building underwent a considerable restoration in 1994 while maintaining the original oak moldings, hardwood floors, exposed brick, high covered ceilings and two large safes, reminiscent of the McLean Building’s early commercial days.

Souleio Foods will soon open on the main floor as one of Saskatoon’s newest restaurants and food stores. Today CFCR radio occupies the third floor.

Site Information:

WashroomsRefreshments

Public Washrooms
Food and Beverage Services
Street Parking

* The main floor of the McLean building will be open as Souleio Foods, one of Saskatoon’s newest restaurants and food stores.

* Visitors are welcome to visit CFCR Radio on the 3rd floor.


« back to participating buildings


TCU Place

35 – 22nd Street - Established: 1968

standard image...TCU Place, originally known as Centennial Auditorium, opened on April 1, 1968 with a performance by the Saskatoon Symphony Orchestra conducted by Dr. David Kaplan. Originally funded by municipal, provincial and federal governments as a performing arts centre, TCU Place became entirely municipally funded by 1990.

This contemporary building features an acoustically excellent auditorium with seating for 2003 people. TCU Place opened its newly expanded area on May 25, 2006. The expansion, along with state of the art audio visual equipment, has allowed TCU Place to host large national and international conventions. The building now features two stories of floor to ceiling windows looking over 22nd Street West.

Over the years TCU Place has hosted many special guests from Bill Clinton, to Lance Armstrong and even Johnny Cash. Each year numerous major Broadway shows grace the stage of TCU Place.

Site Information:

Disabled accessWashrooms

Disabled Access
Public Washrooms
Street Parking (Meters)
Paid Parking Lot (across the street)

 

« back to participating buildings


McKague’s Funeral Chapel

Corner of– 3rd Avenue and 20th Street East - Established 1921

standard image...The McKague family began serving Saskatoon and area in the funeral business in 1911. The present location at 300 – 3rd Ave. South was built in 1920 – 1921 as a full service funeral chapel. As the last heritage style funeral chapel in Saskatoon, the building not only portrays the time-honoured traditions most often associated with the funeral business, but it lends to a comfortable, relaxed atmosphere with a feeling of serenity.

Site Information:

Disabled accessWashrooms

Disabled Access
Public Washrooms
Free Parking
On duty Staff

 

« back to participating buildings


2nd Avenue Lofts

120 – 23rd Street East - Established 1960

standard image...The Hudson’s Bay Company (HBC) purchased the building and business of J.F. Cairns Department Store on 2nd Avenue in 1922 with the Cairns property becoming the 11th store in HBC’s retail chain. The original five-storey building, which opened in 1913, had a full basement and was constructed of fireproof steel and concrete with a pressed brick façade.

In 1958, the Hudson’s Bay Company announced that a new store would be built on the existing site and in 1960 the new Bay store, a three-story building with 157,000 square feet of retail space, opened its doors. During 1966, HBC began construction of a six level parkade across the street. In September of 1967, a fourth floor addition to the Bay building was completed and a skywalk connecting the store with the parkade was opened to the public.

In 2004, Wayne Lemauviel, Gary Bender and later Gene Dube purchased the building with intentions to utilize the existing concrete structure by redeveloping it with a new purpose as a multi-unit residential dwelling.

From 2006 – 2008 the building was dramatically transformed and became known as 2nd Avenue Lofts. In keeping with the exterior’s contemporary style, the interior has been redesigned into sleek two-storey loft condos. 2nd Avenue Lofts is now home to many young professionals who have chosen a contemporary urban lifestyle within the heart of downtown Saskatoon.

Site Information:

Disabled access

Disabled Access
Street Parking

« back to participating buildings