An intimate sanctuary was created by setting the pulpit at an angle to the room and surrounding it with curved pews.
Kaumakapili Church Restoration
Their 1911 Gothic-revival church had fallen into disrepair when the congregation commissioned a 1993 study to document its condition. Termites had damaged the wood frame underlying its plaster exterior and many of its stained glass windows were missing, broken by strong winds or vandals.
Over the next ten years, Church members raised the $2.4 million needed for the restoration/renovation through their annual luau, a capital campaign dinner, and grants from corporations, trusts, and foundations.
Because the original plans for the church had been lost, Mason Architects relied on long-time parishioners to remember the general color schemes and the placement of door openings long since filled in. Shards of glass discovered in the crawl space gave clues to the colors of the missing stained glass windows.
Photos: David Franzen
- A three-coat plaster system replicates the aggre-gate appearance of the original exterior walls.
- The interior of the sanctuary was repaired and repainted and new electrical wiring, lighting, and carpeting were installed.
- New curved pews and a new state-of-the-art audio-visual system were introduced.
- The bell-tower, piano pit, stairway, choir loft, and other structural wooden features were repaired and strengthened.
- Judson Studios restored the historic Good Shepherd window and recreated forty-two new stained glass windows based on the original design.
- Bishop Museum conservator Valerie Free donated many hours of her time to restore the gilded pattern on the historic organ pipes.
The overarching wooden trusses are an important element of the Gothic Revival Style.
The church was built on the Akron Plan; two-tiered classrooms adjoin the sanctuary.