dated 20 May 1833
(Gov. Gaz. 19, issue A, dated 20 Jan. 1833)
The Order of the Redeemer is the most important Greek Order. Its establishment
was decided upon in 1829, the final year of the Revolution, by the
Fourth Greek National Assembly in Argos. The first recipient of the
Grand Cross of the Order was King Ludwig I of Bavaria, the father
of King Otto, in 1833.
This Order was for about 80 years the only Greek Order. The name
and form of the insignia were chosen as a reminder that with the
Lord's help and support the Greek nation was liberated.
The form of the insignia has altered in several respects in the
170 years since the establishment of the Order. Today, the insignia
consists of a white enamelled cross, set on a wreath, one half of
which is an oak branch and the other half a laurel branch. In the
centre of the cross there is a picture of the Redeemer, also made
of enamel, which is surrounded by the inscription "IN YOUR
RIGHT HAND, LORD, THE POWER AND THE GLORY". The reverse carries
the inscription "THE 4th NATIONAL ASSEMBLY OF THE HELLENES
AT ARGOS - 1829".
The stars of the Grand Cross and the Grand Commander have eight
radiating points and in the centre is a picture of the Redeemer.
The first stars were embroidered. Later, stars made of silver prevailed,
as is the case today. The ribbon which accompanies the insignia
of the Order is light blue, with a narrow white border on both edges.
Like the other Greek Orders, the Order of the Redeemer consists
of five classes: the Grand Cross, the Grand Commander, the Commander,
the Gold and Silver Cross.
According to the relevant law, the Order of the Redeemer is awarded
to Greek citizens who have distinguished themselves in defending
the interests of their country, or have rendered exceptional services
in the social sector in Greece or abroad. In practice, the Grand
Cross is awarded only to the leaders of foreign countries.