Sunday, February 20, 2011
Famous Phi Sigs
- Frank J. Lausche - Pi Deuteron (Ohio State) Honorary. Former Senator from Ohio; former Ohio governor.
- John V. Tunney - Iota Pentaton (Cal. State -Fullerton) Honorary. United States Senator from California.
- R. Smith Simpson - Psi Virginia '27. American Consul in Bombay, India; research professor in diplomacy, Georgetown University; author of "Anatomy of the State Department".
- Fred D. Schwengel - Gamma Epsilon (Truman State University) '29 One of the founding members and former president of the U.S. Capitol Historical Society and eight term U.S. Representative from Iowa
- Robert E. Leach - Pi Deuteron (Ohio State) '33. Ohio Chief Justice.
- Robert V. Denney - Sigma Deuteron (Nebraska) '38. Federal Judge and representative from Nebraska.
- James D. Hodgson - Beta Deuteron (Minnesota) '38. Former United States Ambassador to Japan; Former Secretary of Labor.
- Gilbert Gude - Eta (Maryland) '45. Former Congressman from Maryland; Director, Congressional Research Service, Library of Congress.
- Robert Funseth - Psi Triton (Hobart) '48. Retired Assistant Secretary of State.
- Joseph Dini - Eta Deuteron (Nevada) '50. Former Speaker, Nevada General Assembly.
- John D. Scanian - Beta Deuteron (Minnesota) '51. Former United States Ambassador to Yugoslavia.
- Arthur C. Levitt - Chi (Williams) '52. Former Chairman, United States Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Geore A. Trail - Pi (Franklin & Marshall) '58. Retired United States Ambassador to Malawi.
- John H. Sununu - Omicron (M.I.T) '61. Former Governor of New Hampshire; Former White House Chief of Staff.
- Anthony Coelho - Rho Tetarton (Loyola Marymount) '64. Former U.S. Congressman from California, House Majority Whip.
- Richard Hecklinger - Xi (St. Lawrence) '65. United States Ambassador to Thailand.
- Stewart H. Rudisill - Rho Deuteron (Gettysburg) '12 Former Chaplain of Phi Sigma Kappa.
- Stewart W. Herman - Rho Deuteron (Gettysburg) '30. President, Lutheran School of Theology.
- Alvin S. Rudisill - Rho Deuteron (Gettysburg) '50. Chaplain at the University of Southern California.
Science and Research
- J. Walter Larkin - Tau (Dartmouth) '24. President, Osteopathic College of Ophthalmology.
- Milton Harris - Theta Deuteron (Oregon State) '26. President, American Institute of Chemists.
- Charles C. Price - Phi (Swarthmore) '34. Chairman of the Board, Swarthmore College; Winner of the 1974 American Chemical Society Award for Creative Invention of polyether polyurethane rubber; President, World Federalist Educational Fund.
- Lt. Col. John R. Hane - Zeta (CCNY) '39. Chief of Aircraft and Guided Missile Section, Technical Training Division USAF in the Pentagon.
- Richard W. Lyman - Phi (Swarthmore) '44. President, Rockfeller Foundation; Former President, Stanford University.
- Leonard J. Grant - Lambda (George Washington) '50. Retired Vice-President, National Geographic Society.
- Richard F. Gordon, Jr. - Lambda Deuteron (Washington) '51. Retired Captain, U.S.N.; NASA Astronaut, missions: Gemini 11 & Apollo 12.
- John Fabian - Chi Deuteron (Washington State) '61. Former NASA Astronaut; Veteran of two space shuttle missions.
- Daniel Brandenstein - Sigma Zeta (Wisconsin-River Falls) '65. Retired Captain, U.S.N.; Former Chief of the NASA Astronaut Office; Veteran of four space shuttle missions.
- John S. Knight - Gamma (Cornell) '18. Publisher and owner, Knight Newspapers; member of Cornell Board of Trustees.
- A. B. Guthrie, Jr. - Mu Deuteron (Montana) '23. Pulitzer Prize author.
- Arnold W. Gingrich - Delta Deuteron (Michigan) '25. Publisher, ESQUIRE.
- John A. Prestbo - Rho Pentaton (Northwestern) '63. Markets Editor, Wall Street Journal; Senior Editor, Dow Jones.
- Steven S. Ross - Gamma Tetarton (Rensselaer) '68. Editor, New Engineer Magazine and Enviorment Regulations Handbook.
Business and Industry
- John "Jack" F. Welch - Alpha (Massachusets) '57. Former Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer, General Electric Co.
- Pat Coady - President of the World Bank
- D. William Brosnan - Kappa Deuteron (Georgia Tech) '28. Retired President, Southern Railway System.
- George Murray Campbell - Alpha (Massachusetts) '20. Retired Vice-President, Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company.
- Louis W. Dawson - Gamma (Cornell) '19. Former President, Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York.
- Vernon A. Johnson - Omega (California) '36. Vice-President, Lockhead Aircraft.
- Reginald H. Jones - Mu (Pennsylvania) '39. President of General Electric Company.
- Ronald G. Assaf - Eta Triton (Akron) '57. Chairman, Sensormatic Electronics.
- Thomas Cusack - Mu (Penn) '77. CEO, Transamerica Life Insurance.
- Jerry D. Choate - Xi Triton (San Jose State) '61. Retired Chairman and CEO, Allstate Insurance Company.
- Stephen Courter - Kappa (Penn State) '77. Chairman & CEO, NEON, Inc.
- Philip B. Fletcher - Xi (St. Lawrence) '54. Retired Chairman & CEO, Conagra, Inc.
- John T. Gilbride - Mu (Penn) '38. Retired Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, Todd Shipyards.
- Glen Hiner - Delta (West Virginia) '56. Chairman, CEO, Owens-Corning Fiberglass.
- Vernon A. Johnson - Omega (California) '36. Former Sr. Vice-President, Eastern Region, Lockhead Aircraft; Senior Advisor, Lockhead Aircraft.
- Jerry Johnson - Iota Pentaton (Cal. St./Fullerton) '69. President, Chief Operating Officer, The Clorox Company.
- Kurt Landfraf - Lamba Tetarton (Wagner) '68. CEO, Educational Testing Service.
- Reginald H. Jones - Mu (Penn) '39. Retired Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer, General Electric Co.
- Gilbert C. "Gill" Maurer - Xi ( St. Lawrence) '50. Retired Executive Vice-President & COO, The Hearst Corporation.
- Robert Mondavi - Nu Deuteron (Stanford) '36. Former Chairman, Robert Mondavi Winery.
- Thomas C. Norris - Rho Deuteron (Gettysburg) '60. Retired Chairman & CEO, P.H. Glatfelter Co.
- Richard H. Wamhoff - Phi Upsilon (Valparaiso) '67. Executive Vice-President Heinz Asia/Pacific.
- John William Townsend, Jr. - Chi (Williams) '46. President, Fairchild Space & Electronics Company.
- Robert Wolfe - Kappa Deuteron (Georgia Tech) '60. Chairman & CEO, GenCorp.
- Stephen Huse - Sigma Triton (Indiana) '68. Famous Restaurateur: Founder of the Noble Romans pizza chain; Owner of Huse Incorporated; Served as Vice chairman and a key executive of Indianapolis-based Consolidated Products, which operates the Steak 'n Shake chain and various specialty restaurants; Owner of St. Elmo's Steak House in Indianapolis.
Drama, Radio, Television, and Film
- Don Knotts - Delta (West Virgina) '46. Televison and movie comedian; Five-time Emmy Award winner.
- David French - Gamma (Cornell) '60. Former news anchor, CNN.
- Frank Filipetti - Iota Triton (Connecticut) '68. Grammy Award-winning recording engineer.
- Burl Ives - Epsilon Delta (Eastern Illinois) '31. Noted actor and folksinger.
- Martin Milner - Omega Deuteron (Southern Cal.) '53. Television actor, Route 66, Adam 12, etc.
- Chris Sarandon - Delta (West Virginia) '64. Film actor.
- Red Skelton - Gamma Epsilon (NE Missouri State) Honorary. Emmy Award-winning television comedian.
- Tom Smothers - Xi Triton (San Jose State) '61. One of the Smothers Brothers, popular folk-singing and comedy team.
- Cheech Marin - Actor/Comedian
- Julio DiBenedetto - Pi Deuteron (Ohio State) '51. Producer and Director of television shows.
- Cedric W. Foster - Tau (Dartmouth) '24. News Analyst, MBS; member of executive staff, Yankee Network.
- James L. Loper - Chi Triton (Arizona State) '53. Former Executive Director, Academy of Television Arts and Sciences.
- David Selby - Delta (West Virginia) '63. Television and stage actor.
- Robert Lindsey - Xi Triton (San Jose St.) '56. Author, The Falcon and the Snowman.
- Gay J. Talese - Omicron Deuteron (Alabama) '53. Author, The Kingdom and The Power, Honor Thy Father, Unto The Sons.
- Lou Boudreau - Alpha Deuteron (Illinois) '39. 1948 American League MVP; Sports Announcer; Member of Baseball Hall of Fame.
- Dan Patrick - Eta Hexaton (Dayton) '79. Sportscenter anchor, ESPN Sports Network.
- Frank Gifford - Omega Deuteron (Southern Cal.) '52. New York Giants star, All-American and Sportscaster, NFL Hall of Fame member.
- Dick Enberg - Epsilon Xi (Central Michigan) '56. Nationaly known NBC Sportscaster
- Chris Schenkel - Delta Triton (Purdue) '45. Nationaly known Sportscaster.
- Bryan and Joel Glazer - Epsilon Triton (American) '86 and '89. Co-Executive Vice Presidents, Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- David P. Montgomery - Mu (Penn) '68. President, Philadelphia Phillies.
- R. Dennis Ralston - Omega Deuteron (Southern Cal) '64. World Team tennis pro; Men's and NCAA champion; Tennis Coach, SMU.
- Frederick A. Wyatt - Beta (Union) '69. Lacrosse National Hall of Fame.
- Ellis F. White - Xi (St. Lawrence) '33. President, Essex County College (N.J.).
- Joseph F. Marsh - Delta (West Virginia) '45. President, Concord College.
- John D. Williams -zPhi Deuteron (Kentucky) '26. Retired Chancellor, University of Mississippi.
- Perry Kendig - Pi (Franklin and Marshall) '32. President, Roanoke College.
- Richard W. Lyman - Phi (Swarthmore) '44. President of Stanford University.
- Kenneth C. Rogers - Xi (St. Lawrence) '50. President, Stevens Institute of Technology.
- Paul E. Gray - Omicron (M.I.T.) '54. Chancellor of M.I.T.
- Jack Magruder - Gamma Epsilon (Truman State University) '57 President of Northeast Missouri State University on into its transition to Truman State University
The Delta Triton Chapter of Phi Sigma Kappa
302 Waldron St
West Lafayette, IN 47906
Website Currently Maintained By: Benjamin W. Shutt