The Municipal Council is the highest level of political representation of the citizens in the government of the city.|
Made up of councillors (41) and chaired by the Mayor, it establishes the lines of municipal action and resolves the most important matters, with advisory, planning, regulatory and fiscal executive functions.
It operates in Plenary Assemblies and in commissions.
It has the functions attributed to it by the Municipal Charter, which in broad outline can be summarised as follows:
- promote and control the functioning of other governing organisms
- be responsible for, delegate and/or transfer responsibilities and functions with other administrations
- decide the characteristic outline and definition of the municipal area, e.g. the municipal territorial limits, the shield, the official seal and the flag
- approve and modify internal rules and ordinances
- approve general municipal plans and programmes of action
- approve urban plans and norms
- approve the budget, municipal corporation accounts and high value and/or long term contracts