Go Back   Defense Technology & Military Forum > Global Defense & Military > Air Force & Aviation
Forgot Password? Join Us! Its's free!

Our Supporters
Contact us today!
Veterans can obtain information regarding VA Loan including how to get a VA Refinance
Defense News
Land, Air & Naval Forces

Military Photos
Latest Military Pictures

T-90AM.jpg

ict50.jpg

ict5.jpg

ict46.jpg
Tag Cloud
Thread search tags
armed forces army artilery assault rifles balance of power battleship boeing book british british empire brt-80 cannon colombia cruise defense degree divide and rule education evolution f-16 f15 patrol france future of sidearms gcc gulf gunner guns history information intelligence japanese empire leningrad lifestyle machine gun malaysian army military missle national defence nazi soldiers new zealand northrop grumman nzdf policy raf rafale ran bluewater mrv rmn royal malaysian navy rus russia sas saudi russia bandar putin security ship singapore somalia south american strategies sweden tactics thai air force top uae ucav ukraine vehicle viking weapons weapons. wwii

Recent Photos - DefenceTalk Military Gallery

Enhanced Paveway in service with RAF

This is a discussion on Enhanced Paveway in service with RAF within the Air Force & Aviation forum, part of the Global Defense & Military category; Does anyone know the number of enhanced paveway in service with RAF,daegel reported that RAF used 500 of those during ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 1 Day Ago   #1
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Enhanced Paveway in service with RAF

Does anyone know the number of enhanced paveway in service with RAF,daegel reported that RAF used 500 of those during operation enduring freedom.
Is the above true??
below is the daegel link:

EGBU-27 Paveway III / Enhanced Paveway III, EP3
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1 Day Ago   #2
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpt007 View Post
Does anyone know the number of enhanced paveway in service with RAF,daegel reported that RAF used 500 of those during operation enduring freedom.
Is the above true??
below is the daegel link:

EGBU-27 Paveway III / Enhanced Paveway III, EP3
Weapon stocks are usually a fairly closely guarded secret by most nations. United States FMS announcements usually indicate "initial" purchases of weapon stocks with further purchases not usually requiring announcements being made for follow-on purchases of the same weapons and kit. Direct Commercial Sales often aren't announced at all, or if they are only relate to overall contract price, without quantities announced.

If the UK was able to drop more than 500 weapons on operations, then you can bet they had and have an inventory many thousand strong.

Regards,

AD
"The oath to serve Australia did not include the normal luxuries and comforts afforded by our society. To the contrary... it implied hardship, sacrifice, loyalty and devotion to duty... regardless of rank."

AD = The "trigger happy mod"... :)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 1 Day Ago   #3
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Digger View Post
Weapon stocks are usually a fairly closely guarded secret by most nations. United States FMS announcements usually indicate "initial" purchases of weapon stocks with further purchases not usually requiring announcements being made for follow-on purchases of the same weapons and kit. Direct Commercial Sales often aren't announced at all, or if they are only relate to overall contract price, without quantities announced.

If the UK was able to drop more than 500 weapons on operations, then you can bet they had and have an inventory many thousand strong.

Regards,

AD
Actually the problem is I don't trust the credibility of deagel so I want to know if anyone can tell me an approximate but authentic number that misses the exact mark even by a few hundreds.I am asking all this because I just came to know that enhanced paveway has a 900 kg warhead!!! which is awesome!!
Old 1 Day Ago   #4
Defense Professional / Analyst
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Eh, Britain has probably the most confusing Paveway collection outside the US. The EPW1, EPW2, EPW3 and other early Paveway variants are basically only being used anymore until stocks deplete, since by 2012/2013 all aircraft are supposed to be wired for Paveway IV (i'll believe it when i see it - ditching the Harriers that were already wired for it as the only model in the RAF didn't help of course).

It's similar to how France has been throwing around massive amounts of EPW2 in Afghanistan in the last couple years waiting for AASM to be ready.

As for numbers - low four-digit. Altogether. Also, 2,000-lb bombs aren't exactly rare.
Old 1 Day Ago   #5
Super Moderator
Major
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
I am asking all this because I just came to know that enhanced paveway has a 900 kg warhead!!! which is awesome!!
900 kilograms? That sounds awfully large for anything in the Paveway family... aren't they all 2000, 1000 and 500 pounders? You're not going to get a 900kg warhead on any of those (I think the 2000 pounder has about a 400kg warhead), unless I'm missing something?
Old 1 Day Ago   #6
Defense Professional / Analyst
Lieutenant General
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonza View Post
You're not going to get a 900kg warhead on any of those (I think the 2000 pounder has about a 400kg warhead), unless I'm missing something?
900 kg = 2000 lbs.

For a warhead, you always count the whole package - not the explosives load...
Old 1 Day Ago   #7
Super Moderator
Major
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kato View Post
900 kg = 2000 lbs.

For a warhead, you always count the whole package, not the explosives load...
Ah, I wasn't aware of that. Good to know, thanks very much Kato.
Old 1 Day Ago   #8
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
900 kilograms? You're not going to get a 900kg warhead on any of those (I think the 2000 pounder has about a 400kg warhead), unless I'm missing something?
I suggest that you go first and read the official RAF website about enhanced paveway before coming to your own conclusion!!
Old 1 Day Ago   #9
Super Moderator
Major
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
I suggest that you go first and read the official RAF website about enhanced paveway before coming to your own conclusion!!
Already had my conclusion corrected by Kato, but thanks for the recommendation matey.
Old 1 Day Ago   #10
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Already had my conclusion corrected by Kato, but thanks for the recommendation matey.
My point is there is a line that clearly states that EPW III has a 900 kg class penetrator warhead.hence my initial post.
Old 1 Day Ago   #11
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kato View Post
Eh, Britain has probably the most confusing Paveway collection outside the US. The EPW1, EPW2, EPW3 and other early Paveway variants are basically only being used anymore until stocks deplete, since by 2012/2013 all aircraft are supposed to be wired for Paveway IV .
From RAF website I don't see that EPW III is going to get replaced by PW IV,is that the case and if so source.thx
Old 1 Day Ago   #12
Super Moderator
Major
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
My point is there is a line that clearly states that EPW III has a 900 kg class penetrator warhead.hence my initial post.
Kind of sounds to me like you're splitting hairs over something that Kato already answered, but either way, all good. I hope some posters on here can help you out with your query.
Old 1 Day Ago   #13
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
Actually the problem is I don't trust the credibility of deagel so I want to know if anyone can tell me an approximate but authentic number that misses the exact mark even by a few hundreds.I am asking all this because I just came to know that enhanced paveway has a 900 kg warhead!!! which is awesome!!
Enhanced Paveways don't actually have a warhead. What Enhanced Paveways are is a guidance and in some configurations, range enhancement kit that can be attached to a standard gravity bomb body.

They are analogous to Laser JDAM's in that sense. They provide laser and/or GPS/INS guidance to an otherwise un-guided weapon.

They can be attached to a variety of gravity bombs. Not all have a 900kg (2000lbs) bomb body attached. There are also 250kg (500lbs) and 450kg (1000lbs) variants, though I am not sure if the UK uses all of those variants.

Deagal is fairly reliable, because most of the time they are simply re-stating official Government or Corporate releases.
"The oath to serve Australia did not include the normal luxuries and comforts afforded by our society. To the contrary... it implied hardship, sacrifice, loyalty and devotion to duty... regardless of rank."

Old 1 Day Ago   #14
Super Moderator
General
Threads:
Quote:
From RAF website I don't see that EPW III is going to get replaced by PW IV,is that the case and if so source.thx
Paveway IV is a much smaller weapon than an EPWIII with a 900kg bomb body attached.

PWIV only has a 225kg warhead, so it may not replace a 900kg weapon. Plenty of Airforces operate both classes of weapons in their inventory and I'd be surprised if the RAF didn't.

Old 1 Day Ago   #15
Private
No Avatar
Threads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Digger View Post
Enhanced Paveways don't actually have a warhead. What Enhanced Paveways are is a guidance and in some configurations, range enhancement kit that can be attached to a standard gravity bomb body.

They are analogous to Laser JDAM's in that sense. They provide laser and/or GPS/INS guidance to an otherwise un-guided weapon.

They can be attached to a variety of gravity bombs. Not all have a 900kg (2000lbs) bomb body attached. There are also 250kg (500lbs) and 450kg (1000lbs) variants, though I am not sure if the UK uses all of those variants.

Deagal is fairly reliable, because most of the time they are simply re-stating official Government or Corporate releases.
From what I read above and what kato has written warhead(bomb body) is explosives plus everything else is that correct,if so what is the region that contains only explosives

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: