Skip to Content

How to enrol on the unpublished roll

If you are an eligible elector and believe that having your details recorded on the published electoral roll could threaten your personal safety, or that of your family, you may request that your details be included only on the unpublished roll.

Who can view the unpublished roll?

The unpublished electoral roll is confidential and can only be viewed by the registrar of electors.

How do I apply to go on the unpublished roll?

Phone us free on 0800 ENROL NOW (0800 36 76 56), and we will post the form "Enrolling to vote on the Unpublished Electoral Roll" out to you, along with a standard "Enrolling to vote: application form" if you are not already enrolled as an elector or are enrolled and need to update details, such as your name or address.  Or, you can download the application form from the Downloads menu to the right.  You only need to fill in the standard application form if you are not already enrolled or are changing some enrolment details.  The form(s) should be completed, signed and posted (no postage stamp required) with the required accompanying information to:

Freepost 2 Enrol
The Chief Registrar of Electors
Electoral Enrolment Centre
PO Box 190
Wellington 6140

What information do I need to give to apply?

You will need to give your full name, address, date of birth, contact telephone number and produce evidence of your personal circumstances, such as:

  • a copy of a protection order that is in force under the Domestic Violence Act 1995, or
  • a copy of a restraining order that is in force under the Harassment Act 1997, or
  • a statutory declaration from a member of the Police to the effect that he or she believes that your personal safety, or that of your families, could be prejudiced by the publication of your name and details, or
  • a letter from either a Barrister or Solicitor, your employer, a Justice of the Peace, or the like, supporting your application on the grounds that your personal safety, or that of your families, could be prejudiced by the publication of your name and details.

How long do I stay on the unpublished roll?

You remain on the unpublished roll until such time as your circumstances change.  The registrar of electors will write to you from time to time to confirm that your circumstances are the same.  You will also be required to check your enrolment details and amend them, if necessary, during enrolment update campaigns.

What if my circumstances change?

If your circumstances change you should inform, in writing, your registrar of electors.

What if my personal details change?

If any of your personal enrolment details change, such as, name, address or occupation, inform your registrar of electors in writing.  The registrar of electors will confirm in writing that they have made the changes requested.  If you forget to inform your registrar of electors of any changes and we cannot contact you then your name will be removed from the roll.

How do I vote when my name is not on the published roll?

As your name will not appear on the printed electoral roll used on polling day you will need to cast a "special declaration vote".  These are available from the returning officer for your electorate prior to polling day or from any polling place on polling day.  To vote in local council and district health board elections you will need to apply to the local electoral officer at your local council to be issued with a "special declaration vote".