Description: Alton station stood on the Churnet Valley line of the North Staffordshire Railway. It was built in an Italianate villa style in about 1849. The station was used by the Earl of Shrewsbury, and had a luggage lift to hoist the Earl's baggage up to the entrance to Alton Towers. In 1954 the station was renamed Alton Towers. After the line closed in the 1960s, the station was acquired by the Landmark Trust. In the distance, to the right can be seen Alton Castle.