The Court of the Lord Lyon - the official heraldry office for Scotland
The Court of the Lord Lyon is the heraldic authority for Scotland and deals with all matters relating to Scottish Heraldry and Coats of Arms and maintains the Scottish Public Registers of Arms and Genealogies.
The Lord Lyon King of Arms is also responsible for State Ceremonial in Scotland.
Find out more about
applying for a coat of arms
Guidance as regards the holding of a Derbhfine or Family Convention
Note regarding Lyon's Decision in the Petition of Willi Ernst Sturzenegger of Arran
General guidance regarding Baronial Additaments and Territorial Designations
Note relating to baronies - 4 December 2009
New Thistle Chapel book - October 2009
News - 26 May 2009
News - 3 December 2008
Frequently asked questions
If you're an overseas visitor researching your Scottish Ancestry these pages may help you track down your:
Coats of Arms | Clans | Tartans
The Officers of Arms in Scotland are:
- W. David H. Sellar, Esq., Lord Lyon King of Arms
- Sir Crispin Agnew of Lochnaw, Baronet, QC, Rothesay Herald of Arms
- Elizabeth A. Roads, MVO, Snawdoun Herald of Arms
- The Hon. Adam Bruce, WS, Unicorn Pursuivant of Arms
- Mark D. Dennis, Esq., Ormond Pursuivant of Arms
- Sir Malcolm Innes of Edingight, KCVO, WS, Orkney Herald Extraordinary
- Robin O. Blair, Esq., CVO, WS, Angus Herald Extraordinary
- Alastair Campbell of Airds, Islay Herald Extraordinary
- Charles J. Burnett, Esq., Ross Herald Extraordinary
John Spens tendered his resignation as Albany Herald of Arms on Monday 4th April 2011 with immediate effect. He has given distinguished service as an Officer of Arms under four Lyons, initially as Carrick Pursuivant for eleven years from 1974-1985, and then as Albany Herald for upwards of twenty five years from 1985-2011.
Procurator Fiscal to the Court of the Lord Lyon: Alexander M. S. Green, Esq., Advocate in Aberdeen
Herald Painter at the Court of the Lord Lyon: Yvonne Holton
All images used on this website are copyright and should not be used without permission.