NONITO Donaire believes his planned August rematch with World Boxing Council/World Boxing Association champion Vic Darchinyan, fell through not because of the quibbling over Philippine television rights, but because the Australian-Armenian didn’t want to fight him.
Donaire, who flew to Las Vegas last week to finalize details of their rematch with Top Rank president Todd duBeof, said: “They are just playing games because they didn’t want to fight. They told us that everything’s good and when they learned that we were coming in to sign the contract they pulled out.”
Donaire noted that Darchinyan had been given the TV rights in Armenia, where he is from and Australia, where he is now a citizen and that he (Donaire) had a right to Philippine rights because he is a Filipino.
The WBA super flyweight interim champion, who wanted to duplicate his fifth-round stoppage of Darchinyan on July 7, 2007 named Knockout of the Year, felt bad because he wanted the two belts currently held by his rival.
However, Donaire was resigned to the fight not taking place.
He is looking ahead to a promised fight with WBC/World Boxing Organization bantamweight champion Fernando Montiel who, after recently winning the WBC title with a fourth-round TKO win over heavily favored Japanese Hozumi Hasegawa, said he wanted to fight Donaire after taking a rest.
That fight could possibly take place in July.
In the meantime, Donaire told Manila Standard he is looking forward to a tune-up fight before going up against Montiel, “because I’ve been away for quite a while, so I need to get the ring rust out before I get ready for a big fight.” Ronnie Nathanielsz