Force India driver Adrian Sutil is to face a criminal complaint for physical and grievous bodily harm from Eric Lux, CEO of Renault F1 team owners Genii Capital.
The complaint relates to an incident that took place in a Shanghai nightclub on the night of this year's Chinese Grand Prix. No official details relating to the incident have been released.
A statement issued on behalf of Lux by the Lalive law firm on Monday said: "In the view of the recent events which occurred in Shanghai on 17 April, Mr Eric Lux has decided to file a criminal complaint against Mister Adrian Sutil for physical assault and grievous bodily harm.
"As soon as the complaint is registered, the Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) and the team Force India will be notified.
"Furthermore, please note that Mr Eric Lux does not exclude commencing an action against any other persons involved in this matter."
Sutil confirmed to German media last week that he was involved in an incident in China, but insists there was no deliberate intent from him to injure anybody.
"During a private event, there was a very unfortunate action by me in which I hurt another person completely unintentionally," Sutil said in a statement to the German media.
"I regret the incident and have apologised accordingly. Since this was a private event and not directly related to Formula 1 or my job as a Formula 1 driver, I ask for understanding that I will say no more on this incident."
Force India was unavailable for immediate comment.