Unit History


1. Adelaide Universities Regiment was originally called Adelaide University Regiment. Concerns during the post war period spurred the Australian Government to reform the old 'Militia' (renamed CMF). Approval to raise Adelaide University Regiment was given on 17 September 1947 following the many good leaders trained from Sydney and Melbourne University Regiments for the 2nd AIF for World War Two. The rationale of having AUR on the Order of Battle was that in war, many university graduates would become officers in the Army and by having had a sound infantry training they would be better officers.

2. Enlistment and training for AUR was to commence on 01 May 1948 under the command of Major R.J. Lipman, ED, BDS, JP, the first Commanding Officer later to become Lieutenant Colonel Lipman. Major Lipman had seen active service in the South West Pacific, Moratai, British North Borneo and Timor and in 1945 he was mentioned in dispatches. After the war, Major Lipman was a full time dental student at Adelaide University and was seemingly the logical choice if a student was to be the Commanding Officer.

3. The unit birthday is officially 31 May 1948. The Regimental March is Highland Laddie in quick time and Morag of Dunvegan in slow time.

4. The Regiment was organised based on the Commonwealth Military Forces (CMF) Infantry Battalion of three companies. The unit had a rifle company consisting of one rifle platoon and a support company with transport, antitank, mortar, signals, and intelligence sections; and a headquarters company. Machine gun and assault pioneer sections were added later.

5. The Regiment's first home was a small section of the Hydraulics Laboratory in the Physics Building at the Adelaide University, RHQ having moved in during October 1948. The Regiment's home was to be here until 1952 when 27th Battalion, Royal South Australia Regiment left Torrens Training Depot to be replaced by AUR. AUR relocated to Hampstead Barracks on 01 October 2001.

6. Part of AUR went to a Transport Training camp conducted at Hampstead in December 1948. The Regiment's next camp was held at Woodside from 05-29 January 1949 and was attended by 8 Officers and 92 Other Ranks. The January 1949 camp was the first post-war CMF camp and it was the centre of much AHQ and political attention.

7. In 1949, the first Honorary Colonel, Brigadier A.S. Blackburn, VC, CMG, CBE, LLD, ED was appointed, he held this post until 1955. In 1956 AUR had expanded to the extent that the unit was relocated to the Torrens Training Depot. During 1966, an Officer Cadet Training Unit (OCTU) style training commenced and the first graduates were commissioned in April 1967. In 1982 elements of AUR moved into additional accommodation at Prospect and St Marys. In 1984 the St Marys depot was closed due to a decline in the number of students joining the unit from the nearby Flinders University and Prospect depot is no longer used.

8. In 1991/92 the Australian Defence Force underwent a Force Structure Review (FSR). As a special part of the FSR, University Regiments were also reviewed. The review had wide implications on the future of AUR in that:

a. AUR's secondary role of providing military training to tertiary students was removed; and

b. AUR became the only Officer Training Unit in South Australia.

9. On 1 July 2008 AUR joined the 2nd Division under the direct command of 9 Brigade. AUR will now form the core of the 9 Brigade Reserve Individual Training Capability (RITC). This capability has been established within 2nd Division by reinforcing the University Regiments with additional Regular, Reserve and Australian Public Service personnel. From January 2009, Adelaide Universities Regiment will be tasked to conduct directed individual training (Tier 1,2 & 3) for all soldiers and officers of Australia Army Reserve, as well as the continued delivery of the ARES GSO FAC for RMC.

Regiment badge

Regiment Badge

10. The Regiment's Badge was designed by LT J. Twopeny, SGT P. Bullock and LTCOL R. Lipman in 1949, although it was not until 1952 when anodised buttons were introduced that the badge could be worn. The motto 'Sapientia Omnia Vincit' translated means 'Wisdom Conquers All' was devised by LTCOL Lipman. The badge consists of the letters A.U.R., in which is embedded in the 'U' the shield of the University of Adelaide surmounted by the imperial Crown. The base of the initials is the Regimental motto Sapientia Omnia Vincit on a scroll, the ends of which wrap around the 'A' and the 'R' of the initials AUR. The regiment wears the Green Hackle behind the badge to denote the Regiment's affiliation with the Royal Irish Rifles.

Colour Patch

10. Each unit of the Australian Army wears a unique embroidered colour patch on the right side of the Slouch Hat pugaree. The history of these colour patches traces back to coloured shoulder patches worn by AIF units during the two wars to distinguish and identify units. Upon integration with 9 Bde on 1 Jul 08, the unit was issued a new colour patch to reflect its training role, within Land Command. This Colour Patch is shown below.

AUR Colour Patch

11. During the Regiment's first camp, the Regiment was visited by the Army Minister, the Honourable C. Chambers, who coincidentally was an old friend of the Commanding Officer. They spoke of forming a band and LTCOL Lipman broached the point of a pipe band as from his war experience. As in World War II, bandsmen were also stretcher bearers and battle casualties tended to decimate Regimental bands because of this hazardous work. AUR was fortunate to attract a couple of pipers and a drummer in its formative years which assisted with the marching on of the Unit parades. Soon after authorisation was given to University Regiments to form a pipe band. In mid 1949, 16 sets of pipes with the Napier Tartan, which is blue and white, mysteriously appeared. To this day, no one knows who sent them, however, it is believed that this tartan is worn by the family of Sir Mellis Napier, former Chief Justice and Lieutenant Governor of South Australia, who was the Chancellor of Adelaide University at the time of the Regiment's formation may have had input into this event.

12. The Band's first public performance was a parade down King William Street on 21 January 1952. The Unit is extremely proud of the Pipes and Drums as they have excelled as ambassadors of the Regiment in their performances throughout Australia. Their work has received accolades from afar and brought credit to the Regiment. In 1992 the band raised enough funds to enable them to respond to a request to perform at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo (EMT).

13. On 1st February 2010, Adelaide Universities Regiment Pipes and Drums were removed from the ORBAT, and Recruit Holding Platoon rasied.

Colours

14. In June 1951 the Regiment submitted designs for the King's Colours in view of probable ceremonial parades to be conducted during the Royal Visit. The intention was for His Majesty King George the Sixth to present the Colours to the Regiment. This was to be short lived due to His Majesty's death. Submissions for the Queen's Colours were then presented. All of these submissions were designed by LT J. Twopenny. Approval for the design of the Colours was given in January 1955.

15. The Colours were consecrated and presented by the Colonel Chaplain of SA, Senior Chaplain Bulbeck in the presence of His Excellency the Governor of South Australia, Air Vice Marshall Sir Robert George KCVO, KBE, CB, MC at the University Oval on 21 January 1957. The Colour Party comprised Senior Ensign - LT I.B. Cook, Junior Ensign LT E. Shroder and Colour Sergeants Warrant Officer T. Malone and M. Dunn with the RSM C.H. Wigley. AUR is one of only three units in Central Region to be presented Colours or Guidons.

Sister Regiment

16. All Infantry Battalions of the Australian Army have an affiliated infantry regiment of the British and/or Commonwealth Army. AUR's Sister Regiment affiliation, from its original structure as an Infantry unit, is the Royal Irish Regiment although the affiliation was initially to have been with the East Yorkshire Regiment.Like AUR, many of the Irish Regiments have also had an illustrious pipe band!

17. The Royal Irish Regiment was formed in 1793 as the 83rd and 86th Regiment of Foot, later to become the Ireland 2nd Bn, the Royal Irish Rifles. It was then amalgamated into one battalion as the 1st Battalion; Royal Ulster Rifles, later to be known as the 2nd Battalion, Royal Irish Rangers Kings Division. The Regiment has a long and proud history, serving with distinction in all theatres of war. The Regiment is organised as light infantry, plaques of the Regiment and paintings of their uniforms are held in the Officers' Mess. The CO carries a mountain walking stick - presented by a CO of the Royal Irish Rangers.

18. Restructuring of the British Army in 1992 has seen the Royal Irish Rangers renamed as The Royal Irish Regiment, however, the close affiliation remains.

Commanding Officers (CO)

19. The following is a list of Commanding Officers of the Adelaide Universites Regiment:

LTCOL R.J. Lipman, ED 1948-52
LTCOL J.A. Maitland 1952-55
LTCOL R.A. Blackburn, MBE, ED 1955-57
MAJ I. Down 1957-58
LTCOL J.A. Pollock, MC 1958-61
LTCOL J.R.N. Twopeny 1961-64
LTCOL P.O.G. Forbes, MC, ED 1964-67
LTCOL Barnard Brown, ED 1967-70
LTCOL L.L. Taylor, ED 1970-72
LTCOL R.R. Millhouse 1972-75
LTCOL E.J. Wayland, AM, ED 1975-78
LTCOL J. Sanders 1978-81
LTCOL C. Hill 1981-83
LTCOL S. Kuusk 1983-85
LTCOL M. McCarthy 1985-88
LTCOL N. Williams 1988-91
LTCOL K.D. Noell 1991-94
LTCOL S.F. Landherr 1994-97
LTCOL J.C. Olson, RFD 1997-99
LTCOL R.C. Duras, RFD 1999-2001
LTCOL L.S. Blight, RFD 2001-03
LTCOL C.D. McCarthy, CSC, RFD 2003-06
LTCOL D.K. Bowley, 2006-2007
LTCOL B.C. Stevens, RFD 2008-10
LTCOL S.N. Ridgway, 2010-


20. From 1998 to 2008, RSM AUR was a Part Time position. On 19 Jan 2009 the RSM position became ARA . The RSMs posted to AUR are as follows:

Regimental Sergeant Majors (RSM)

WO1 A.W. Lobb 1948-52
WO1 C. Belbin 1952-53
WO2 C. Wigley 1953-57
WO2 S. Holland 1957-60
WO2 Scally 1960-63
WO1 R.C. Hartigan 1963-67
WO1 R. Baldwin 1967-70
WO1 R. Barnes 1970-72
WO1 B. Muir 1972-75
WO1 D. Miller 1975-76
WO1 N. Smith 1976-78
WO1 N. Huish 1978-80
WO1 A. Massingham 1980-81
WO1 K. Donnolly 1981-82
WO1 R. Powell 1982-84
WO1 J. Guest 1984-86
WO1 B. Semple 1986-89
WO1 K. Dobson 1989-90
WO1 S. Facer, OAM 1990-92
WO1 J.R. Sheahan 1992-95
WO1 R.D. Campbell, OAM 1995-98
WO1 C.J. Holmes, OAM 1998-02
WO1 A.D. Cameron 2003-05
WO1 A. Mol 2005-07
WO2 M. Page (Acting) 2008-09
WO1 A.M. Hortle 2009-10
WO1 G.J. Lewis 2010-


18. The Honorary Colonels appointed to the Regiment are as follows:

Honorary Colonels (HON COL)

BRIG A.S. Blackburn, VC, CMG, ED 1949-55
BRIG Sir Kenneth Wills, KBE, ED 1955-64
BRIG W.W. Wearne, OBE 1964-70
BRIG E. Logan, CBE, RL 1970-72
COL J.B. Day, ED, BDS 1972-78
COL S.J. Jacobs, AO 1978-82
COL R.W. Clampett, AM 1982-87
COL P.O.G. Forbes, MC, ED 1987-92
COL J. Sanders 1992-96
Vacant 1996-99
COL L.T. Olsson, MBE, RFD, ED 1999-03
MAJGEN K.P. Duggan, AM, RFD 2003-10
COL S.J. Ellis, AM 2010-

The AUR Trophy


In the immediate post-war years the pre-war annual Award of the RSL Trophy went to the most efficient Unit of the militia (CMF). This started again in 1948/49. During the 1948/52 period, AUR won the (then coveted) RSL Trophy for the most efficient Unit in the CMF, 4 times in 4 years. The Trophy was awarded on the Unit performance at annual camp and parades, passing annual musketry tests, and field manoeuvres. All ranks had to pass theses tests. This record stands as no other AMF Unit anywhere has equalled this record.

Governor of South Australia, Lt-General Sir Willoughby Norrie presenting the RSL Trophy, 1951 to MAJ Lipman