Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Largo, FL 06/25

Regularly scheduled events
Blue's News
TrackMania Server
Get TMNF Client
Join Blue's News!
Blue's News Favorite!

Acclaim Closed

The Acclaim Website has news that Acclaim games are no longer in service as of yesterday, just three months after the MMOG publisher was acquired by Playdom (thanks MxxCon). This news is also reflected on individual game websites, such as the home of Chronicles of Spellborn, though plans to shut that down around now were already revealed. This is the second time Acclaim has closed, as the company went bankrupt six years ago (almost to the exact day), before the name was purchased for a revival in 2006 to publish Asian multiplayer games in the west. Here's the news from the Acclaim website:

We regret to inform you that all Acclaim games will no longer be in service effective August 26, 2010

ACCLAIM COINS

• Any unused Acclaim Coins can be reimbursed by emailing transition@acclaim.com (please include your Acclaim username).
    • Must be from the email address used to register your account so we can verify your identity.
    • *9Dragons players only: We will refund any purchases made within the last 30 days.

OTHER GAMES

Check out other Playdom games at http://www.facebook.com/Playdom

Or sign up to test our new game Kogamu at http://apps.facebook.com/kogamugame

Please contact customer support with any questions or concerns at: contact@acclaim.com

Thank you for your support!

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 23:40 Prez

So Acclaim and Acclaim were different. Gotcha. Dizzy  

Prez on Soundclick
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=604888
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 23:22 RollinThundr

MxxCon wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 16:48:
Folks, like the story says, don't confuse this crappy "Acclaim Games" that did no development of their own but rather just had publishing rights of those asian mmo, with the legendary "Acclaim Entertainment" that created such gems as NBA Jam, Turok and Mortal Kombat(1 and 2)

Actually they didn't create half of those titles either. Most of the older Acclaim console releases were Midway games that they had publishing rights to.

19. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 21:49 Xoxotl

I know it's a completely different company, but I couldn't help but think back to the old Accolade. Aaaah, I played many of their 8-bit computer games when I was growing up on my Atari 800XL (and later 1040ST).  

Don't start anything you can't finish. Preferably to component atoms.

18. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 21:22 Prez

Good riddance. They were always the bottom feeders of gaming.

That Wiki list can't be right - Forsaken and Turok aren't on there. Didn't they do that Abysmal BMXXXXXXXXX or whatever it was as well?

Prez on Soundclick
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=604888

17. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 18:20 Hump

there goes my dream of a sequel to Forsaken.....

*runs away crying like a little girl*

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 17:21 sir

MxxCon wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 16:48:
Folks, like the story says, don't confuse this crappy "Acclaim Games" that did no development of their own but rather just had publishing rights of those asian mmo, with the legendary "Acclaim Entertainment" that created such gems as NBA Jam, Turok and Mortal Kombat(1 and 2)

Not to mention Castlevania IV. The aim of that game wasn't to smite nor to maim, but to stake through the heart an eternal undead fart, whose claim to fame, other than his name, was a penchant for blood, sucked from victims, unwilling or game.

15. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 16:48 MxxCon

14. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 16:43 MxxCon

kxmode wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 13:55:
sir wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 13:45:
No blame game from acclaim? Shame.

That's the name of the game.
what's the name of the game? to play a blame game with Acclaim? i don't see any shame.

13. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 16:20 Rigs

Ah, Acclaim, how I miss thee...the old Acclaim I mean...not the new, hip, cutting-edge, social-media games powerhouse it tried to become...

Just goes to show you can never change who you really are inside. No sense in fighting it, they should have pumped money into some of the old IP's to fund new sequels or reboots...or failing that, just stay dead... *shrug*

At least we know what they can put on it's tombstone now:

WASTE OF MONEY

=-Rigs-=

'Now, we gave you a promise and we are bound by that promise and damn you for asking for it! And damn me for agreeing to it! And damn all of us to hell, because that is exactly where we're going!'

12. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 14:34 Beamer

Parallax,

We don't know that they closed the studio. They closed the games. The studio may very well be open.

It's quite possible that they purchased the talent but don't care to keep pumping money into the crappy games they've made. It seems this is the case, and they think the talent there can do better with better management, coming from Playdom.

It's also possible that they purchased Acclaim to get the rights to the old Acclaim IP, assuming this Acclaim had it, anyway, which doesn't seem too likely. Nor could I understand why Playdom, a casual/FB game developer, would want any of it.

It's highly unlikely that they didn't know the financial shape of the company before buying. The amount of due diligence that goes into these decisions is absurd, and they'd have a heck of a lawsuit against the IB that orchestrated the deal if this was the case, so it almost definitely isn't. This was a talent grab.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 14:27 Parallax Abstraction

LittleMe wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 13:42:
Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 13:10:
I don't get it, why spend the money to buy a company just to close them down a couple of months later?

Maybe to buy the games code or to own the rights to the particular franchises?

Possibly but since all the games are being shut down, I don't know what they would gain from that. IP is useless if you're not doing anything with it. Maybe they just took over Acclaim and weren't able to find out in advance that the company was in bad shape and just decided to cut their losses. It's just very odd that this happened this way so suddenly.

Parallax Abstraction
Support Competitive Internet In Canada: www.openmedia.ca

10. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 13:55 Cave Johnson

sir wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 13:45:

That's the name of the game.

This is Cave Johnson... We're done here.

9. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 13:45 sir

8. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 13:42 LittleMe

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Aug 27, 2010, 13:10:
I don't get it, why spend the money to buy a company just to close them down a couple of months later?

Maybe to buy the games code or to own the rights to the particular franchises?

Experimenting the great thermate debate.

7. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 13:41 Xil

Turok 1,2,3 was made by Acclaim Entertainment which died in 2004, the brand/logo was bought by another company that used it to start Acclaim Games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acclaim_Entertainment is the correct wiki and shows the list of games from the "good" acclaim

6. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 13:10 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Support Competitive Internet In Canada: www.openmedia.ca

5. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 12:28 SimplyMonk

I played two of those.

The Chronicles of Spellborn was ambitious and had potential but needed another year at least of development, redesign and content to even be considered for release. The class I played in the free trial didn't even have any usable powers except to change into a wolf and run faster.

9Dragons was just to "asian-grind-cookie-cutter" to really even be worth mentioning. I saw advertisements for it about 3 months ago on the Sci-Fi channel and that really surprised me. Must of been their last ditch effort to tap into some new customers.

4. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 12:23 Mr. Tact

Turok 2?

Wikipedia lists their games as:

* BOTS!!
* 9Dragons
* 2Moons
* Dance! Online
* Ponystars
* My Diva Doll
* Tribal Nations
* Prize Potato
* The Chronicles of Spellborn
* Knight's Blood
* Muniz Online
* TrackMania
* Prize Island
* Top Secret
* RockFree and RockRiot
* Ninja Clans
* Rush Fighters

Of which, I played none.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

3. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 12:18 CrimsonPaw

Ugh, I still say this company peaked at Turok 2 ...  
I'm not an elitist, I'm a gamer - those lines that the PC or Console elitists draw are the boundaries of their ignorance.

2. Re: Acclaim Closed Aug 27, 2010, 12:01 Pete

All acclaim games are going away, and they want you to test the new Playdom game.  
Doin' it Big

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo