Link back to Home.
Main content begins below.
Phil Bredesen, Governor Department
For immediate release September 21, 2007

12 TENNESSEE SITES ADDED TO THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES

Nashville, Tenn. – The Tennessee Historical Commission has announced 12 Tennessee sites have been added to the National Register of Historic Places. The National Register of Historic Places is the nation’s official list of cultural resources worthy of preservation. It is part of a nationwide program that coordinates and supports efforts to identify, evaluate and protect historic resources. The Tennessee Historical Commission administers the program in Tennessee.

Sites recently added to the National Register of Historic Places include:

  • McGavock - Gatewood - Webb House – Constructed in phases between the 1840s to circa 1915, the McGavock-Gatewood-Webb House is a two-story brick and frame house located at 908 Meridian Street in Nashville (Davidson County). The changes to the house reflect the patterns of settlement and development of Nashville during this timeframe, especially the shift from being a rural estate to the urban and suburban expansion of the city. Early records are difficult to find, but it is believed that the house was built in the 1840s, expanded and modernized in the 1870s, and changed into apartments around 1915.

  • Susie Foster Log House – Miss Susie Foster wanted a log house as early as 1915 when her cousin gave her a lot in Smithville (Dekalb County). It was not until 1946-50 that her house was built. The house was constructed of logs salvaged from older log homes that were in the Caney Fork River Basin prior to Center Hill Lake being built. The house is a mid-century interpretation of the popular Colonial Revival style and the exposed logs on the exterior and interior, original mantel, windows and doors, exemplify the 20th century Colonial Revival movement.

  • Montgomery High School – Montgomery High School and its adjacent gymnasium and football field are an important part of the African-American heritage of Lexington (Henderson County). Completed in 1950, the school served the city’s black population and that of the surrounding counties. As a regional school, it had far more resources than smaller African-American high schools and gained a wide reputation. In addition to academics, community events were also held at the complex. The building was used as a school until 1967 when it closed as part of the integration process.

  • Elmwood / Boundary Increase – In 1973, Elmwood was listed in the National Register because of its importance in architecture, Civil War history, and agriculture. In 2007, the nomination was updated by adding historic farmland and additional information about the importance of the farm. The 168 acres, 1842 brick house and kitchen, 1850 smokehouse, 1850 carriage house, and a collection of 20th century agricultural buildings combine to make this property an important representation of farming history in Rutherford County. While keeping up with modern practices, the history of the farm was well maintained – reflecting many changes over the years from ownership within the family to changes in agricultural practices.

  • First Methodist Church – The First Methodist Church in Gatlinburg (Sevier County) is a fine example of Late Gothic Revival architecture. Designed by Charles I. Barber of the well-known Knoxville firm of Barber and McMurray, construction began in 1945. The two-story stone building also has stylistic features of the Cotswold Cottage style of southern England. Although completed in 1950, the first services in the building began in 1947 in the “open-air” church. The church is important to the community in social history and stands as a landmark historic building in Gatlinburg. It serves the permanent community and visitors to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

  • Vollintine Hills Historic District - The Vollintine Hills Historic District in Memphis (Shelby County) is a residential neighborhood built around the former Baron Hirsch Synagogue. It is roughly bounded by Evergreen Street, McLean Boulevard, Vollintine Avenue, and Brown Avenue. At the same time the Orthodox Jewish community moved out of downtown Memphis, the congregation realized that a new building was needed. The 1946 Vollintine Hills plat included a large parcel of land for a new synagogue. The neighborhood represents the efforts of members of an Orthodox religious group to accommodate their beliefs by developing a synagogue and housing for the congregation within easy walking distance. The 78 houses are good examples of post World War II Minimal Traditional and ranch-style houses.

  • Squire’s Rest – Built in 1920 in Barretville, the cottage was the home of Paul Barret, a well-known banker, merchant, political and civic leader in Shelby County. The Craftsman Bungalow was once the center of a working farm and the property still has a historic barn, washhouse, and smokehouse. Barret was called “squire” as a result of his service on the Shelby County Quarterly Court – the predecessor to the Shelby County Commission from 1942 to 1966. The Barretville Bank & Trust, which he co-founded, was one of the most successful rural banks in Tennessee. Politically, Barret was an active participant in Boss Crump’s organization.

  • Southern Railway Industrial Historic District (Shelby County) - Located adjacent to the Southern Railroad on Orleans, Linden, and Beale streets, the district contains nine buildings, four outbuildings or secondary buildings, and two structures. All of these are late 19th to mid-20th century industrial properties associated with the commercial and industrial history of the city, particularly transportation and power. In addition to the railroad “subway”, the district has buildings related to Memphis power companies. Because of the juxtaposition of rail lines and road, this location was considered ideal building sites for both business and industry.

  • Triangle School – The Triangle School was built in 1938 by local carpenters in the rural community of Fairview. The frame, weatherboard school building was built as part of Williamson County’s efforts to consolidate many of the area’s one-room schoolhouses. Like many rural schools, the building was also used for community events, agricultural extension agents, and political rallies. A moveable partition divided the front room into two classrooms, or it could be opened for larger events. Smaller rooms were situated at the back of the building.

  • Lebanon Woolen Mills – The complex of buildings on Maple Street in Lebanon (Wilson County) represents the industrial and labor history of the community. The 1909 mill building, 1941 coal storage building, and 1947 office building are fine examples of commercial and industrial design. First producing wool blankets, and later acrylics, the mill prospered and grew – with additions to the main building reflecting this. Lebanon Woolen Mills was a major employer and had a huge impact on the economy of the region. It ceased operation in 1998 and is currently being rehabilitated as a multi-use commercial property.

  • Pocahontas School - Located in the community of Pocahontas (Hardeman County), the school was built in 1924 and expanded in 1957. It was the main elementary school for the community and served in this capacity for more than forty years until it closed in 1967 as part of school consolidation. In addition to being used for classes, Pocahontas School was used for community events. The style of the schoolhouse is a good example of a Craftsman-influenced design.

  • Settlement School Community Outreach Historic District - The four historic buildings and one historic site that comprise the district are important to the educational history, social history, and architectural history of Gatlinburg (Sevier County). Now known as the Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts, the school is an example of how a fraternal organization brought arts and craft education to the mountains of rural East Tennessee. The earliest building in the district dates to circa 1807 and the most recent are from the 1940s. Another district associated with the settlement school, the Settlement School Dormitories and Dwellings Historic District is already listed in the National Register.

For more information about the National Register of Historic Places or the Tennessee Historical Commission, please visit the Web site at www.tdec.net/hist.

For more information contact:

Meg Lockhart
Office (615) 253-1916

 

 

Return to