Leicester Square

Leicester Square underground station

Leicester Square underground station. Around 1930
Pen, pencil and coloured crayon
Architect: Charles Holden (1875-1960) for Adams Holden & Pearson
Copyright: RIBA Library Drawings and Archives Collections

The enlargement of the 1906 Leicester Square station was originally proposed in 1923 but was delayed, due to the rebuilding of Piccadilly Circus station and finally opened in 1935. With the growth of the popular theatre district and the new cinemas, further entrances were required on the corner of Little Newport Street with Charing Cross Road and on Cranbourn Street. Holden also designed the public house 'Scotch Stores' located adjacent to the Cranbourn Street entrance and The Sussex pub on the corner of St Martin's Lane.