Cedega.com

Cedega Community Forums
It is currently Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Transgaming - Your users are LEAVING
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:02 pm 
Beta Team
Beta Team

I have tried to remain as neutral on this forum as possible. While people constantly complain about the level of service they are receiving I have maintained that the service is currently spotty but the product is still great. Recently it is apparent to me that people are now jumping ship in droves. It is also becoming apparent to me why this is occurring.

I became a subscriber when WineX was little more then a branch from Wine geared towards gaming. The idea of focusing on support for 3D graphics API's, sound API's, better networking, and an overall better gaming experience in Linux excited me. There wasn't much supported in WineX at the time that wasn't supported in Wine but the games that were supported worked better. These were the days when Counter-Strike was the only reason to purchase a subscription for WineX and everyone was doing it because the experience was simply better. There was no point2play, automated upgrades, a wiki, etc. What we had was an application that was developing into the biggest leap in Linux gaming we had ever had and a company that was incredibly excited about it. The users could feel the excitement of Transgaming and felt like they could be a part of it. And we were. Problems were taken care of quickly and the pace of development was exceptional. Because of that I have remained a subscriber and have not lapsed my account a single time. I have paid 100's of dollars to Transgaming to allow them to continue developing an exceptional product.

Transgaming is now letting me down and you are letting the rest of your users down. We continue to be charged monthly for your product yet we receive no updates. We are completely in the dark as to what Transgaming is working on and as to whether you are even considering fixing problems that have arisen. GLSL was heralded by Transgaming as a huge leap in Cedega. Pixel Shaders 2.0 really worked and games like Oblivion and Guild Wars could be played in all their glory. No more then a few weeks later the implementation was broken and Transgaming acknowledged it. Months later we are still waiting and have not heard a word on the status of GLSL. It is unusable for the majority of users but it is still advertised as a great feature only working in Cedega.

I know a lot of users don't play WoW but let's face the fact that a majority of Cedega users are paying for WoW support. Yet, we have no word as to whether or not any work will be done on supporting in game voice comm even though we have known about it and it has been available on the PTR for quite some time. Transgaming officially supports running WoW in Direct3D mode yet it is currently unusable. The thing that really made WoW better on Cedega was the fact that we could run in D3D mode and have great framerates. Cedega does not currently hold that advantage. Voice comm works in Wine already! All we want is some word from Transgaming saying, "Yes. We are aware of these problems and we are working on them. We anticipate having something out to you guys in blah blah blah time." We are not getting anything like this right now and I feel like I am paying for absolutely nothing. With how much I have payed up to this point I find that rather disturbing.

I am not going to write this just to rag. I would like to offer a couple suggestions that will provide the users with a little relief. First, you should assign at least one of your employees to read and respond on the forums everyday. We should have some person within Transgaming on these forums that will communicate with us on a daily basis (at least 5 days a week.) I know that this person would be very worried about attacks on disgruntled users but the users that would be appreciative of him will far outweigh the disgruntled attacks. Second, do not skip development reports. Why allow the users to vote on what we would like you to work on but not provide a development report that lets us know the progress to that end?

Please start providing the service we are paying for. Please be the company we wanted to support in the beginning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:41 pm 

Hi mwoodj,

i write bad in english. But i understand you. And i just subscribe it, because you find the right words.

regards,

Jumpy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:19 am 
Beta Team
Beta Team

I find myself agreeing in some aspects. While I personally find World of Warcraft to be watered-down and mass marketed to Ubuntu and back, it is the 900lb gorilla that opened a lot of doors for real Linux usage among desktop users.

Part of me feels a bit bitter about City of Heroes / Villains. The game is supposedly supported by the Cedega dev team, but it's been ages since the patch that broke Win2k compatibility and there hasn't been any public word or documentation on a fix for the game.

Also tied to CoH/CoV is MSXML and .net support. These technologies are going to be required for support of the NCSoft Unified loader... and NO, Mono is probably NOT the freaking answer to this. Mono technology MIGHT be the answer if merged properly into the Cedega engine.

What irks me most is that these technologies shouldn't even be up for vote, nor support for the NCSoft Unified loader. Yet, not only are these technologies placed in a voting list, substantial number of Cedega users are voting AGAINST these technologies.

MSXML
-2: 4.93% (18)
-1: 1.37% (5)
0: 74.79% (273)

.NET
-2: 7.4% (27)
-1: 2.19% (8)
0: 58.36% (213)

NCSoft Loader
-2: 16.71% (61)
-1: 2.47% (9)
0: 55.89% (204)

So, from a voting point of view, a few people seem dead set to work against improving the Cedega Technology.

Anyways, moving on, other aspects that irk me are the lack of developer reports, and lets face it, what kind of catnip has Wulfie been smoking? I hate to break this to developers and publishers, but I have. Bringing games to the market using DirectX technologies is a Million-dollar mistake developers CAN NOT BE MAKING. Porting games to other platforms that do not use DirectX (e.g. Playstation 3, Nintendo Wii, Linux, Mac) involves having to pay developers to either port the code or re-write the engines. If developers used OpenGL and OpenAL from the start, they can go across ALL platforms, even down to Cell phones and mobile devices like the Playstation Portable without a significant reinvestment into porting.

Cedega is in a unique place to give empirical evidence to publishers and developers that Microsoft's DirectX is a BAD business move for games. I don't see, or hear, them doing that.

I'm also a little grumpy about Cedega's documentation on the Cedega 6.03 release. I'd REALLY love to know what brand of catnip the dev team was on to state that ATi's drivers were broken and Nvidia's were not. Sorry. Nope. Nvidia is the one with the broken drivers.

Now, I'm NOT saying that a simple posting on the main site saying something to the effect of "We are busy working on the EA games for the Macintosh and we need to put Cedega development on Hiatus until we finish" would have fixed the ill-will that has been, and IS being, generated.

But come on. Take a look at the website. Half the links are still broken on the transgaming site. Cedega sections still link to transgaming sections.

We don't see anything, and that is for one, making me more hesitant to paint Cedega and Transgaming in a good light. If anything, it's making me wonder why I even bothered promoting Cedega in the first place.

edit : not to mention the strange feeling I get that the Cedega devs are content to let me handle the support requests

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:14 am 
Beta Team
Beta Team

FULL ACK for mwoddj's post !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:12 pm 

The whole reason I bought cedega was to run wow. Ive been beating my brains out to try to configure my card to run world of warcraft with proper frames.

Every time I post about problems its either

1) I get no support at all

2) I get flamed for asking for support

WTF?

I was even talking all my friends into cedega until i told them the problems Ive been having, I told them to keep off until Im at least about to get wow being stable.

Post subject: Keep your Windows install!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:29 pm 

I find it better to keep your windows install and dual boot your system! I tryed Cedega 6.0.3 for 1 week only got 1 out of 25 games to work. Unfortunatly I got suckered into a year subscription, now I'm out my $55 bucks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:02 am 
Emerald TransGamer
Emerald TransGamer

I think that I am finally going to terminate my subscription. Six months with not even that monthly status report? The only technical thing that I ever requested (mounting of ISO images in Cedega) did quite well in the poll, yet it is still missing from Cedega (and from the poll list).

Another thing that I hate about Cedega is the total closedness of the project. I guess that there is an open CVS somewhere, by try finding that on Transgaming website... There are no big friendly developer-buttons anywhere and it is just painful trying to get to that area (if there even is one anymore). The development follows that usual commercial software development with publisher-consumer relationship. They decide what they do, when they do and what do they tell us about it. We decide whether we want to pay for it or not.

I became a subscriber when I found Cedega on some warez site with the announcement saying that it could run Far Cry (the game that had by far the best graphics at the time and that still is one of the top titles on that sector). So, I downloaded it, tried it on Far Cry and found out that I could play on Linux almost as well as on Windows. So, I subscribed, only to find out that later releases soon b0rked the game. I was fooled to wait for that new release that will fix all these issues, all the time, but apparently now, several years later, there still hasn't been that release. New major releases seem to bring support for some MMORPG (which I do not play at all) but every time I try some of those older games, they still fail to run.

Most games do not work at all, some work with issues and a few (StarCraft, most importantly for me) work fine.

However, I have found that I even start Cedega less and less often. Today I tried starting it for the first time after a six month pause (the last time I tried when 6.0 was released). And apparently it has got broken by some library updates as Cedega won't start at all. Frankly, I don't even care to investigate or try to fix it, which also makes me wonder why do I keep paying the subscription.

While Cedega's bugs certainly partly explain me not using it, they are not the main reason. The thing is that in the past couple of years a lot of really good open source games have appeared. Unfortunately you cannot find these on libsdl.org games lists or maybe not even on your distro's package manager. You just have to know the name of the game and fetch an unofficial package or a source tarball from the project website and install it yourself.

In the past months, I have found myself spending numerous hours on TA Spring (an RTS game that beats Supreme Commander in playability and isn't that far behind on the graphics sector either), Frets on Fire (Guitar Hero clone, with the same gameplay but with better controller and better graphics - and a lot more bugs - than the original) and UltraStar-NG (SingStar clone, with far better audio analysis than the original). Notably, all are clones of some commercial games, with things done better than in the original. All these projects also have fully open development models.

So, I would not recommend keeping dual boot, as someone suggested, but rather I'd recommend finding better games :)

One thing that would be nice is an open-source games list that does not accept crappy games and that periodically keeps removing titles that are no longer developed or that are superceded by better projects. People need a list of high quality games, not a list of zillion one-man hobby/learning projects that were abandoned five years ago anyway.

Anyone willing to set up such a list (maybe on Wikipedia)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:53 pm 
Emerald TransGamer
Emerald TransGamer

Tronic.. have you tried looking at happypenguin.org? It's similar to a Windows Gamer website founded way back in the day, happypuppy.com.

NP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:57 pm 
Emerald TransGamer
Emerald TransGamer

It seems similar to the other Linux game lists that I have seen, with the exception that they at least have ratings at happypenguin.org. The problem is that they try to list all games (that are submitted there) instead of just the good ones, and I can't find an option to filter or sort by rating or by any other useful criteria for that matter (maybe it is somewhere there, but their navigation doesn't make finding it easy).

EDIT: found that button a moment ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:45 pm 
Emerald TransGamer
Emerald TransGamer

mwoodj FULLACK
no need to say more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:06 am 

I am terminating my subscription as of next month,

I agree with you 100%!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:35 pm 

im ending my subscription today. Im going to keep checking the website though for updates and if their seems like any hope i may comeback

bye bye

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:35 pm 
Beta Team
Beta Team

I also canceled my account. I left not because Cedega didn't work for me, but because there have been no dev reports in the last couple months. No visibility to me... no money from me. Sorry.

Wine works just as good if not better and if something doesn't work at least there is an audience of devs and users working together with the same goal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:40 pm 
Beta Team
Beta Team

I think a better option is... instead of giving money to Cedega, ALL OF YOU should go buy Quake Wars and Unreal Tourney when they come out with the Linux ports. Even if you don't play them. Support all those who create native ports to linux!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:47 pm 
Emerald TransGamer
Emerald TransGamer

The new Unreal really will have native linux support? I know that historically they have had it, but I hadn't heard any definite word on whether it will or not.

If it does, for sure it's on my shopping list. If it doesn't, then not.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next