Pages
Home Page
Newsletter
Contact details for Church & Associated Schools
Usual Weekly Schedule
Useful Web Links
The History Of The Church
The Architecture & The Organ
St Charles Gallery
Guestbook
Join Beehive
What is Beehive?
Click here to email this page to a friend.
The History Of The Church

Our History
It is known that as early as 1774 Father Charles Howard came from Marton to minister to the small group of catholics in Hull. In 1779 a popish chapel was erected in Posterngate; this was the first evidence of Catholicism in Hull since the Reformation. The following year it was destroyed in the Gordon Riots.



In subsequent years the Catholics met in various houses until 1798 when, driven out by the French Revolution, Abbe Pierre Foucher arrived in Hull. He was a wealthy man, probably an aristocrat., and able to build a small chapel in North Street at his own expense. He returned to France in 1820.




Father John Smith followed the Abbe. He bought a site in Jarratt Street and began to build the new church. This was opened on 29th July 1829. Over the years that followed the aisles were added and it was decorated in its present style in 1899 while Canon W Sullivan was rector.




It was during Canon Sullivan's time that Saint Vincents Home was built in Queens Road, that Saint Gregory's School was built and Saint Wilfred's Church was opened.






Advertisements
Search
Click here for a list of links to other Beehives around the UK

The Beehive Community Network is managed by Northcliffe Media Ltd, Registered in England, Company registration number: 00272225, VAT no: 243571174