Collected Animals Forum Index

<  Questions for the Collective  ~  Several Questions

citylights
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:58 am Reply with quote
Hey guys, first off let me just say thanks for everything you have made that has inspired me in any way.

I have a few questions and I would be more than grateful should you answer any of them.

1. What did you guys do right after high school? Did you all go right to college? And if so, how did moving to college life affect your music/art?

2. How old were Avey and Panda when Spirit was recorded?

3. Have you guys listened much to Neutral Milk Hotel? If so, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wheeter
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
After highschool i moved to nyc to go to college hated it but eventually found a nice place here in nyc with amazing friends. Brian and i mostly spent the weekends hanging out in our dorm rooms drunk or stoned or tripping and listening to records. I spent every summer back in MD where Brian josh noah and i would get together regularly to play music. I guess my bummer of a time at nyu inspired me to write some of the songs on spirit such as alvin row and april and the phantom and chocolate girl all of which i can remember writing and recording on a four track in my sophmore year dorm room. The rest of the songs i either wrote when i was younger (ie penny dreadfuls) or right when we were recording.

The last summer i went back to maryland i worked at an outdoor camp for kids called nature camps in northern maryland. It really changed my mood and my outlook on life completely which was a drastic turn from dark to light. It was probably cause i hung out in the thick maryland woods most of the time and slept outside alot without a tent. I did my fisrt sweat lodge and it was amazing. I was twenty then. Its also the summer noah and i recorded the drums/piano/acoustic guitar for spirit and noah must have just turned 21. I spent the rest of the year untill december going back to maryland on the weekends to do all the overdubs.

I listened to the second neutral milk hotel album a fair amount in college but like alot of indie rock from the ninties it has made no lasting impression on me and i dont think ive listened to it since then.

D
citylights
Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:48 pm Reply with quote
awesome, thanks a lot for the response
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger