Collected Animals Forum Index

<  Questions for the Collective  ~  not on albums

ogerrob1487
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:09 am Reply with quote
hey i was wondering if geologist or deaken feel awkward when asked about an album you werent featured on. do you feel like its not your place to comment on those albums? just curious. thanks.
veyesor
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:46 am Reply with quote
i don't know if awkward is the right word. it's not embarrassing or anything. maybe if i was asked not to play on a record when i wanted to, then i would feel weird, but every record that's been done without me was done when i chose to leave the band for a while or when i just couldn't be there because i had other things going on. i feel bad for the journalist if its an interesting question that deserves an answer and i'm not able to give it to them. i feel fine commenting on those records because its easier for me to listen to them and love them as opposed to ones i play on. and if its just a factual question i know the answer to, i'll answer it. but if i'm asked about an anecdote or the motivation or inspiration behind something i'm not a part of, i'll decline. sometimes when we're dividing up interviews we ask if they're looking for answers about a specific album and then we know who should take it but since most interviews these days focus on feels or live shows, it hasn't been hard and we haven't had to do that for a while.
zoombiniss
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:29 am Reply with quote
so what exactly were the reasons you and josh wasnt part of the albums?

im guessing spirit was pretty much a solo thing for dave
and hcti you guys werent getting along or something EDIT EDIT EDIT:::::::so it was only dave and noah on sung tongs

but that still doesnt explain the others...

Last edited by zoombiniss on Fri May 12, 2006 7:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Saccharine Trust
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:33 am Reply with quote
"and hcti you guys werent getting along or something "

Yikes.
zoombiniss
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 5:47 am Reply with quote
oh you dont know the half of it saccharine

i dont really either...
veyesor
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:31 am Reply with quote
we all did play on here comes the indian, so i'm not sure what that means. let's see, there are 3 albums i don't play on,oh and prospect hummer for the most part:

spirit: yes, was supposed to be a dave solo record but he doesn't play drums so he asked noah.

campfire songs: was a pre-animal collective idea of dave and noah's. dave and i actually did perform baby canteen at a show in new york in 99 with some spirit songs. but when it was being worked out for recording and josh joined the project, i had gone to europe for a few months and then back to bmore because september 11th cost me a job in new york and i was broke. i was present for the recording though and helped out with the tech side. i read a book by candlelight while they played each take because it went into the night. sounds like a peaceful experience...recorded on a screened in porch. but we never mention (or may be we forget) that it was the middle of november and pretty fucking cold out there.

sung tongs: right before the tour for here comes the indian material, i found out i was accepted to my top grad school choice and that required me to move out to arizona. i still wasn't sure i was going to go and i didn't tell anyone i was accepted when we set out, but then we had a terrible 3 days on that tour in the pacific northwest where the van kept breaking down and we had to borrow money to get it fixed to we could keep going. they were pretty much the days that broke me. we also had broken equipment and other crazy dramas back home that happened those days. at that point we all knew we'd get back from tour, record the songs, and then we needed space from each other, and we still had more than 2 weeks left on the road. i was sitting on a rooftop by myself in san franciso and out of nowhere i just called the school and said they could expect me. an impulse decision that turned out to be one of the best decisions i ever made because i loved grad school. i went downstairs and told the dudes that after the era was over, i was heading to the desert for a full year,and that's where i went. when i returned in summer of 03, dave and noah had written sung tongs. there was talk of me sending them field recordings through the mail but i was kind of in my own world out there, and i only sent one. terrestrial tones used it instead.

prospect hummer: this was recorded on a tour that i couldn't go on. it was still back in the days of working a day job for me and i had been awarded a fellowship and a grant that i worked my ass off for and was super-psyched to get. my supervisors actually were really generous in giving me time off to tour and of the 3 AC tours that happened while i was working there, they let me go on 2 of them, but that prospect hummer one happened less than 2 months after i started the job and that was too early to take time off. had i gone,i would have been fired, and like i said, i loved the job and was psyched to be doing it.

those are my stories.
zoombiniss
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:18 am Reply with quote
oh whoops i meant you guys werent getting along during hcti so not everyone was on sung tongs

that yikes comment makes a lot more sense now...

im tired...
ogerrob1487
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 4:34 pm Reply with quote
cool man thanks for the response.
fbk fbk
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:56 pm Reply with quote
what did you study in grad school?
zoombiniss
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
i think he said he studied environmental policy...
bdtrppr6
Posted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
i appreciate the fact that you(the band) reply to the questions on this board. it's cool to know the inside stuff directly in a "normal" way, instead of someone interpreting your response. fortunately for you, it doesn't demystify the beauty in any way. thanks.
veyesor
Posted: Sat May 13, 2006 4:40 am Reply with quote
yeah sometimes its weird to talk on here and i wonder what details are appropriate, but i just kind of think of it like an interview. if i was asked that in an interview i would have said the same things. and all the details i gave are things we've said before or were my own personal details. as you noticed i won't answer for josh.
deakin
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Brian got it all about right. I will throw in a little about the weren't getting along bit and what I was doing during Sung Tongs and Danse Manatee.

In the spring of 2000 I decided to leave school for a while. A while later become permanent, but that is another story. That summer I felt obligated (appropriately so) to spend the summer in Maryland working off some substantial debt to my mother who had been supporting me in school. It was that summer that dave, brian and the newly arrived noah found a way of playing together that was very new to them. By the time I arrived in New York they had really found a way of translating what they had discovered to a live setting. It jsut wasn't the place for me to jump in. That is sort of a central philosophy to the music that we make. that is that we feel that time and place and ciircumstances are often as much a part of the composition process as... well... the composition. I was very enthusiastic and supportive of what was going on and was pretty involved in what we were doing. I was still running our record label and I came out on the road as a roadie/tour manager and a friend for the first tour with Black Dice.

HCTI was a new era and we all felt excited to find something new together. It was in a sense the first time that all four of us had played together. It was in many ways a great time. there was a lot going on creatively. this thing about us not getting along is a lot more complicated than I think that you guys mean when you say it. I don't really feel like going into it because it truly isn't really anyone's business. clearly it wasn't the end of the world as I still consider noah, dave and brian as my three closest, dearest and important friends.

By the time Sung Tongs started to happen I was dealing with a lot of things personally and wasn't really available to play music in any substantial way. I was for one thing really diving in to carpentry. I love building things and this was a very full time thing for me at that time. I was working between 40 and 70 hours a week and for the most part loving it. It is a whole other side of me that is really important and I needed to be doing that. The first time I saw noah and dave play a sung Tongs show, i was tearing up. I thought it was beautiful and I still do.

it has certtainly been a strange journey so far, and it still goes. How lucky we are.
zoombiniss
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
70 hours a week?

holy crap...
ogerrob1487
Posted: Tue May 16, 2006 8:34 pm Reply with quote
deakin wrote:
it has certtainly been a strange journey so far, and it still goes. How lucky we are.

wow thank both of you for the great responses. you guys are truly lucky, and truly generous. the responses you gave were more than i could ask for. i hope things keep on going for you guys and i hope it makes you happy for a long time. thanks again.