SAN DIEGO - A state parole board on Thursday denied a fourth bid for freedom by a woman who was 16 when she killed two people and wounded nine others during a shooting spree at a San Carlos elementary school in 1979.
The announcement that the board had denied parole for Brenda Spencer was made by the San Diego County District Attorney's Office.
Brenda Spencer, now 47, was previously denied parole in 1993, 2001 and 2005, and will not be eligible to try again for 10 years.
Spencer killed a principal and a custodian and wounded eight students and an officer when she opened fire with a .22-caliber rifle on Grover Cleveland Elementary, across the street from her home.
Spencer, who was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison in 1980, told a reporter back then that she fired three dozen shots at the school because she "didn't like Mondays."
She added that shooting "livens up the day."
She later told prison officials she felt unwanted at the time of the shootings and was jealous of the other youths who had someone to protect them.