Tudalen Hafan / Home Page

Archifdy Ceredigion Archives

School Records: Aberaeron - Adpar



School records are closed to the public for 30 years after the date at which they were made

Ref: ABERAERON

British, later Council, School.

The 1847 "Blue Books" state that Aberaeron British School

was established in 1844. There were 67 scholars, and

average attendance the previous year was 64.

The 1905 report states that the school, a non-provided mixed

school, was erected in 1872. There was accommodation for

240. In 1904 there were 157 on,the books, and average

attendance was 123.

School Records.

Log book, August 1873-December 1918 1.

Registers of admission, progress and withdrawal,

1882-1904 108al

1904-1941 108aII

Summary of attendance and payments, 1884-1891 108b

Education Committee Records.

see Aberaeron District, committee minute book,

18 October 1904 - 10 September 1919 191

Aberaeron Group minutes of managers' meetings,

8 May 1908 - 22 February 1918 178

County Council Records.

Deeds, etc, 1876-1939 253/A44

264A/A55

Ref: ABERAERON

National School.

The 1847 "Blue Books" state that there was a Girls' School,

established in 1842, and a Church School, established in

1817. There were 67 scholars at the Girls' School and 96 at

the Church School. Average attendance the previous year was

60 and 76 respectively.

The 1905 report states that the school, a non-provided,

mixed school, was erected in 1847. There was accommodation

for 281. In 1904 there were 125 on the books and average

attendance was 95.

School Records.

None.


Education Committee Records .

see Aberaeron District, committee minute book,

18 October 1904 - 10 September 1919 191

Aberaeron Group, minutes of managers' meetings,

8 May 1908 - 22 February 1918 178

County Council Records.

School plans, c. 1902-1904 CDC/A/1/37, 103

Ref: ABERARTH, see LLANDDEWI ABERARTH

Ref: ABERBANC

National School.

The 1905 report states that the school, a non-provided,

national school, mixed, was erected in 1848. There was

accommodation for 167. In 1904 there were 127 on the books,

and average attendance was 68.

School Records.

Log books, 1875-1890 2a

Log books, 1890-1927 2b

School brochure, 1983

County Council Records .

School plans, n.d. CDC/A/1/87, 89

Miscellaneous .

Obituary of David Peters of Trebedw, headmaster of Aberbanc,

1871-1876. Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser 12 October

1923, 8EF.


Ref: ABERFFRWYD

British, Board, later Council, School.

Until 1900 the school was situated at Llwynygroes. The

earliest log book of the school states that "Llwynygroes

British School was opened 21st January 1861 by John Roberts

from Bangor Training School" (entry for 1 July 1863).

A new school was opened at Aberffrwyd on 3 April 1900 (see

school log). The 1905 report states that Aberffrwyd, a

provided, mixed school, was erected in 1900. There was

accommodation for 60. In 1904 there were 42 on the books

and average attendance was 26.


School Records.

Log books, 1 July 1863-26 October 1894 65

(Llwynygroes)

29 October 1894-10 June 1936 2Aa

(Llwynygroes/Aberffrwyd)

8 June 1936-23 July 1959 2Ab

Registers of admission, progress and withdrawal,

1875-1958 110

Pre-school age admissions, 1945-1946 110A

Registers of daily attendance,

1917-1918 (upper classes) 110a

1917-1918 (infants) 110b

1918-1919 (infants) 110c

School Board Records.

Aberffrwyd comes under the Cwmrheidol United District

Board; see, I47a-c.

Minute

books, 1875-1896 147al

1896-1904 147aII

Ledgers, 1876-1896 147bl

1896-1904 147bII

Cash book, 1876-1904 147c

Education Committee Records.

see. Rheidol group, minutes of managers' meetings,

23 December 1904-7 November 1913 189a

6 March 1914-31 May 1918 189b

County Council Records.

School plans, CDC/A/I/ 74

Conveyances etc, 1947 272/A47

Ref: ABERPORTH

National, Church of England School.

The 1847 "Blue Books" state that Aberporth school was

established in 1834. There were 31 scholars and average

attendance the previous year was 26. There was also in the

parish a Calvinistic Methodist school at Blaenannerch.

The 1905 report states that Aberporth school, a non-

provided, mixed school, was erected in 1854. There was

accommodation for 110. In 1904 there were 101 on the books,

and average attendance was 68.

School Records.

Log books 3 July 1896-3 May 1926 (National) 2Ba

3 May 1926-14 January 1949 (C of E) 2Bb

County Council Records.

School plans c.1907 CDC/A/1/69,80

Miscellaneous.

see Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser, 20 September 1905,

5D; presentation to headmaster on his retirement, 18

November 1921, 3C; his death, 21 February 1930, 5E; meeting

of managers of non-provided schools, 30 July 1909, 6AB.

Ref: ABERPORTH

Council school, opened 8 November 1915.

School Records.

Log book, 8 November 1915-25 February 1954 2Bc

School brochure, 1983 DYC/ED/4

County Council Records.

Deeds, 1914-1952 296/A48

Miscellaneous.

For enquiries into the demand for a new school, various

reports, etc, see Cardigan and Tivyside Advertiser 1 March

1912 8AE; 5 April 1912, 5E; 22 November 1912, 5D; 29

November 1912, 6AB; 14 March 1913, 3AC; 18 April 1913, 3C.


Ref: ABERYSTWYTH

The 1847 "Blue Books" record nine schools in Aberystwyth,

the National Boys' School (established 1819, 99 scholars,

average attendance the previous year 65); the National

Girls' School (1819: 95: 65); the Wesleyan Day School (1845:

180: 120); Mrs. Lloyd's School (1841: 44: 35); Mrs. Rees'

School (1843: 15: 14); Mr. John Evans's School

(1817: 59: 54); Skinner Street British School (1846: 69:-)

Mrs. Williams's School (1843: 15: 13); Infant School

(1842: 79: 65).

On education in Aberystwyth see A.L.Trott, 'Aberystwyth

School Board and Board School', Ceredigion II no. 1 (1952)

3-17; W.J.Lewis, Born on a Perilous Rock, 159-170.

THE NATIONAL SCHOOL (North Road)

In 1813 Pryse Pryse of Gogerddan acquired a site from the

Corporation for a National School. This was later

abandoned, and the National School built on Northgate

Street. In 1866 the school moved to a site in North Road.

The headmaster of the North Road School from 1892 to 1925

was T. Ainsleigh Jones.

The 1905 report states that the school, a non-provided

school, was erected in 1865. There was accommodation for

666. In 1904 there were 230 boys and girls, and 145

infants on the books, and average attendance in 1904 was 216

(boys and girls) and 120 (infants).

From 1948 the school took all primary school pupils between

7 and 11, and after the establishment of Yr Ysgol Gymraeg at

Alexandra Road it was the town's English primary school. In

1955 the pupils were moved to the senior section of

Alexandra Road School, where they remained until 1969, when

a new school was opened at Plas Crug.

School Records.

Log books Mixed, 4 July 1924-

29 July 1948 4A

7 September 1949-

9 July 1971 4B

(Plas Crug from 1969)

11 September 1971-

17 July 1981 4Bb

Registers of admission, progress and withdrawal,

Boys 1867-1928 112A

Girls 1874-1928 112B

Education Committee Records.

see, Aberystwyth Group, minutes of managers' meetings,

1910-1915 179a

1915-1919 179b

County Council Records.

School plans, n.d. CDC/A/1/82-3

Deeds, 1873-1910 271/A46

1199/A122

Miscellaneous.

Retirement of T. Ainsley Jones, headmaster,

Cardiganshire and Tivyside Advertiser, 28 May 1925, 3D

THE BOARD SCHOOL (Alexandra Road).

The first meeting of the School Board was held on 15

December 1870, and it was eventually decided to build an

non-denominational school next to the railway station. It

was opened on 4 August 1874, with accommodation for 200

boys, 200 girls and 200 infants. Until 1948 the school

remained divided into these three departments, each with its

own headteacher.

The 1905 report states that the school, which had boys',

girls' and an infants' department was erected in 1874.

There was accommodation for 601. There were 722 on the

'books in 1904, and average attendance was 642.

As a result of the 1944 Education Act, from September 1948

all infants (aged 4 to 7) in the town were taught at

Alexandra Road School. The remainder of the school was

occupied by the 11+ pupils and classified as a Secondary

Modern School. All pupils between the ages of 7 and 11 went

to North Road.

In 1951 the North Road School was made into an English-

speaking primary school (5-11) and from September 1952 the

Alexandra Ro^ad School became a primary school for Welsh-

speaking pupils. (A Welsh school had been formed in 1939,

first housed at the Urdd Gobaith Cymru, then at Lluest

Gwilym, Waun Fawr). The Welsh School moved to a new school

at Plas Crug in 1989.

In 1955 the senior section of the Alexandra Road School was

moved to the new secondary modern school at Dinas on the

Waun.

School Records.

Log books,

girls 15 August 1874-

19 December 1902 3a

girls 5 January 1903-

23 December 1927 3b

girls 9 January 1928-

29 July 1948 3c

boys 10 August 1874-

6 October 1910 2Ca

boys 5 September 1910-

29 July 1948 2Cb


infants 10 August 1874-

28 July 1911 4a

infants 4 September 1911-

9 April 1952 4b

infants 9 Ebrill 1952-

6 Mehefin 1980

(yr Ysgol Gymraeg o Medi 1952 ymlaen) 4c

Cash book, 1875-1886 91

Registers of admission, progress and withdrawal,

boys 1874-1895 DYC/ED/6/1

boys 1905-1925 DYC/ED/6/2

girls 1874-1896 111

infants 1874-1885 112a

infants 1885-1910 112b

girls 1915-1931 DYC/ED/6/3

Summaries of attendance (and payments)

boys 1875-85 DYC/ED/6/4

boys 1885-93 DYC/ED/6/5

boys 1921-26 DYC/ED/6/6

boys 1926-31 DYC/ED/6/7

girls 1947-48 DYC/ED/6/8

infants 1875-85 DYC/ED/6/9

Register of summaries, infants, 1946-48 DYC/ED/6/10

Annual Returns, girls, 1933-38 DYC/ED/6/11

Examination returns, boys, 1928-39, DYC/ED/6/12

School punishment books, boys, 1928-39 DYC/ED/6/13

Stock and stores book, boys

1907-30 DYC/ED/6/14

1934-35 DYC/ED/6/15

Requisition book 1943-48 DYC/ED/6/16

School brochure, 1983 DYC/ED/4

School Board Records.

Aberystwyth Board:

Minute books 1870-1890 139al

1890-1903 139aII

1903-1904 139aIII

Ledgers 1872-1883 139bl

1893-1896 139bII

Cash books 1899-1902 139cl

1902-1904 139cII

Education Committee Records.

see, Aberystwyth Group, minutes of managers' meetings,

1910-1915 179a

1915-1919 179b

County Council Records.

School plans, 1908-9 CDC/A/1/36,41,42,

68,70,75

1955 CDC/A/7/1

Ref: ADPAR

British, Board, Council School.

The 1905 report states that the school, a mixed, provided

school, was erected in 1881. There was accommodation for

144. In 1904 there were 148 on the books and average

attendance was 114.

School Records.

Log books 1871-1906 5a

1907-1955 5b

School brochure, 1983 DYC/ED/4

County Council Records.

Plans, 1912 CDC/A/1/71

Miscellaneous.

Reports of the retirement of Daniel Davies, headmaster for

45 years; Cardigan and Tivvyside Advertiser, 17 December

1920, 5E; 24 December 1920, 1C; 27 May 1921, 3B.


Ceredigion Archives - preserving the past for the future
Admin