By charter in 1782, the General Assembly of Maryland established the Board of Visitors and Governors of Washington College "in honorable and perpetual memory of His Excellency, General Washington, the illustrious and virtuous Commander-in-Chief of the Armies of the United States." George Washington served on the Board from 1784 until 1789, when he was elected president of the United States.
Today, the Board of Visitors and Governors of Washington College is a 37-member governing body providing the vision, the philanthropic support and the leadership needed to strengthen the College's position among the nation's best small liberal arts colleges.
Board members—12 of whom are appointed by the Governor of Maryland, 12 of whom are Board-elected, and the other 12 of whom are Alumni of Washington College—are appointed to six-year, renewable terms. The President of Washington College, who serves at the discretion of the Board, is a de facto member.