JOIN US »Join thousands of 99%-ers who are coming to Washington, DC during the first week of December to take back the Capitol from corporate control.
We can have a real impact as Congress deliberates the extension of unemployment insurance benefits for more than 5 million people and other important budget and tax measures.
It’s time for the 99% to be a visible, peaceful presence on Capitol Hill. By day we’ll show up at Congressional hearings and K Street lobbyists’ offices, and by night we’ll crash in church auditoriums, union halls, and in tents and sleeping bags.
Our goal is to remind Congress to represent all Americans—not just the richest 1%.
Join the Action
Most folks will arrive in DC on December 5 and head home on December 9, 2011.
- The People’s Camp on the mall (near 14th St. and Constitution Ave., NW) will serve as our home base where we pitch our tents and enjoy teach-ins, seminars, music, and other entertainment.
Thousands will converge on the nation’s capital to show Congress what democracy looks like, shine a light on corporate greed and the human suffering it has caused, and demand justice for the 99%. For four days we’ll hold spirited but peaceful actions, speak-outs, and protests—from the halls of the Capitol to the offices on K Street—as well as spend time together learning and sharing stories, ideas, and inspiration.
A few highlights:
- Monday, December 5 – Set up the People’s Camp. After checking in, pitching tents, and creating signs and banners, an orientation and entertainment will be hosted by OurDC, a local organization of unemployed and underemployed 99%-ers.
- Tuesday, December 6 – Take Back the People’s House. From the People’s Camp, we’ll form groups and fan out to congressional offices, remind members of Congress that the Capitol is the People’s House, and demand that they represent the 99%.
- Wednesday, December 7- “Make Wall Street Pay.” We’ll swarm K Street, the lobbying center for the world’s most powerful corporations, and track down those responsible for crashing the economy and causing millions of 99%ers to lose their jobs and homes—while failing to pay their fair share of taxes.
- Thursday, December 8 – Demand Justice for the 99%. The day’s events will include multiple speak-outs throughout the Capitol, a national prayer vigil with unemployed folks and faith leaders, a mass march on key congressional leaders, and a lively jubilee action.
- Friday, December 9 – Take It Home. We’ll pack it up and head home, where we need to keep the pressure on our representatives in Congress to do right by the 99%.