+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

OneTouch UltraSmart Communication via RS232

This is a discussion on OneTouch UltraSmart Communication via RS232 within the Diabuddies forums, part of the General category; Same here with the time thing. Haven't had too much time to spare; the wife and job have to take ...

condensr is offline Senior Member I am a: Type 1
    Same here with the time thing. Haven't had too much time to spare; the wife and job have to take priority.. I think I'll have some time tonight though.
    -Shane
    T1 ~14 yrs
    Levemir / Humalog via Luxura HD pen
    Minimed 522 w/ CGMS - On vacation
    Contour USB / SoftClix

JasonJayhawk is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BriOnH
    I don't have one, yet, but know I need too. I think I am going to put the whole site behind an SSL too since it's medical information. Anyone know where the best prices are for certs?

Sorry I have been lagging on updates. My two other jobs and some play have been taking up my time.
    My opinion, since this isn't a commercial venture (yet?), is to make your own free certificate for now -- that's what I did with the Liveabetes site.

Get a copy of openssl (it's open source) and create one. There are a lot of FAQs out there on how to do it. The basic outline step would be to create your own "signing authority" (normally, this would be a company like Versign). Our web browsers already have relationships with the bigwig ($$$) signing authorities. By creating your own, essentially, when a person goes into SSL mode, if they don't manually add your authority to their browser, they will receive a message stating that it's not a known signing authority. (You've probably seen these before -- they look like the same messages for people who have expired certificates). To remove the error for life, they can add it to their browser, or just click "Okay" and be done with it.

After you create a signing authority, you essentially can be like Versign. You're now ready to create your own encryption certificate. This certificate will be signed by your "authority" (e.g., Versign). You keep the private key to yourself, and use the public key on the webserver.

There are probably a bunch of FAQs on how to do it for IIS. If you were using Apache, I could send you a little book on how to do it (it's a short chapter). It's something you could do in less than 30 minutes at no cost to you.

Make sure the hosting provider allows SSL connections (port 443) with your own certificate, too. Certificates are free so long as you don't want them signed by some company that claims to have importance (e.g., a monopoly).

BriOnH is offline Senior Member I am a: Type 1
    Quote Originally Posted by condensr
    Same here with the time thing. Haven't had too much time to spare; the wife and job have to take priority.. I think I'll have some time tonight though.
    No rush Shane; I know how it goes. Contributing any time is a thanks I hope to pay back.

Jeffie, big thanks on the bug list. Have 2 down that came while working on the detailed entry.

Cyborg do you know if you can access a com port from an active x?

Cyborg is offline Senior Member I am a: Type 1.5
    Cyborg do you know if you can access a com port from an active x?
    No problemo...

Quote Originally Posted by JasonJayhawk
    My opinion, since this isn't a commercial venture (yet?), is to make your own free certificate for now -- that's what I did with the Liveabetes site.

Get a copy of openssl (it's open source) and create one. There are a lot of FAQs out there on how to do it. The basic outline step would be to create your own "signing authority" (normally, this would be a company like Versign). Our web browsers already have relationships with the bigwig ($$$) signing authorities. By creating your own, essentially, when a person goes into SSL mode, if they don't manually add your authority to their browser, they will receive a message stating that it's not a known signing authority. (You've probably seen these before -- they look like the same messages for people who have expired certificates). To remove the error for life, they can add it to their browser, or just click "Okay" and be done with it.

After you create a signing authority, you essentially can be like Versign. You're now ready to create your own encryption certificate. This certificate will be signed by your "authority" (e.g., Versign). You keep the private key to yourself, and use the public key on the webserver.

There are probably a bunch of FAQs on how to do it for IIS. If you were using Apache, I could send you a little book on how to do it (it's a short chapter). It's something you could do in less than 30 minutes at no cost to you.

Make sure the hosting provider allows SSL connections (port 443) with your own certificate, too. Certificates are free so long as you don't want them signed by some company that claims to have importance (e.g., a monopoly).
    Thank you Jason!! This is not a commercial site, so this would be a big cost savings.. I know the end goal is a commercial cure, how we get there has yet to remain to be seen. I am pretty sure the money will come from a big BG / Diabetic company eventually(for the site), and look forward to hopefully sitting with all of you and determining what comes next. I am a bit of a dreamer at times but it runs in my blood .

I was thinking an active X too. I tried building a Java applet as my first course of action but couldn't find a class or control to access the com port of a computer that way.
    If you ever changed your mind, it's available as an extension library that can be downloaded from here: http://java.sun.com/products/javacomm/

They aren't including it with the standard SDK although I saw some brief notes mentioning it in the new 1.6.0 release, I think (or maybe I was dreaming). The reason is because the hardware implementations are so much different from each platform, that they didn't want to make it a required part of the standard SDK. However, they have working versions for all the popular platforms.

I am a bit of a dreamer at times but it runs in my blood .
    I know what you mean! Take the childrenwithdiabetes.com site -- it started small in 1995, but after seeing the "ad rates" on his site, I have to wonder what the staff pays themselves to run it. (For example, they get USD $10K/month for just one banner ad, for starters.)

(I read that the founders nearly lost their home when they started commercializing their site in 2001 -- that was a tough time before the medical industry realized the benefit of advertising on-line, especially to parents of diabetic kids).

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg
    No problemo...

Jeffie used the term "Team Diabuddies" and it's kind of stuck. I'll put a post up for review for anyone that wants to join it. Team Diabuddies would consist of the people that work on it and/or have contributed to it's success. Obviously Tony's graciousness was a huge factor as it has brought all of us together.

condensr is offline Senior Member I am a: Type 1
    Just to update, I have not forgotten about this

In fact, I've got a lot done toward the Ultra and Ultra2 download client. I should have something workable by the end of the weekend that will also be extendable to the Ultrasmart as I finish figuring out the comm format.
    -Shane
    T1 ~14 yrs
    Levemir / Humalog via Luxura HD pen
    Minimed 522 w/ CGMS - On vacation
    Contour USB / SoftClix

Hey, Brion,

I noticed that going to "diabuddies.com" and "www.diabuddies.com" has a different result. Is there any way you could redirect diabuddies.com to the "www." location?

FrankDr is offline Member I am a: Type 1
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonJayhawk
    Windows 2000 / 2003 server has a certificate server included. It's an optional component you can add and configure in a few minutes time. And if you're hosting on an IIS in the same domain as the certificate server, you can do the Web certificate request and install it with a simple wizard.

-Frank

BTW - Brian - I sent you an email through this forum. I don't know if it goes to an email address you check often.
    Frank D.
    Fort Worth, Tx

Dx'd type 1 in Jan 2006 @ 36
    Gray Cozmo

I am humbled by all the smart, nice, good people on here.

Jay - I will correct DNS and IIS so diabuddies.com will work too. Do you do Java Applets? I need one done eventually as Macs need to connect to this too.

Shane - Right on. Look forward to implementing this with you. If we can work with Cyborg for an active x control that would be great too. If we can keep the user on the web site i think it will be less confusing for them.

Frank - Thanks for sending that via email, I sent you one back, and thank you for the info on the cert.

Jeffie - I will try to nail more off the bug list. Stu and Jason have posted a bunch of ideas too that should probably go in there. Some are enhancements. I also need to build you a web front end for that great DB you put together. Thank you again for managing this.

There is so much work to do! I have been >swamped< at work (real work )with major projects already past due. None the less, I will be working on a list of stuff that needs to get done - I'll obviously have the majority of the items but anyone that can help with them would really really make things progress faster. To phrase Jeffie -

GO TEAM DIABUDDIES

I do Java, ActiveX, C++ and a serveral others. If you need my help, just let me know...

Any progress on the UltraSmart? Can I upload data yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
    Any progress on the UltraSmart? Can I upload data yet?
    Shane wrote a program for the Ultra and Ultra 2. They will be up soon, I just need to do a little bit of coding. No later then this week for sure. Shane is working on the Ultrasmart, I'll let him fill you in. Frank is also working on connecting up his Cozmo pump data with the web service I am building, so people will hopefully be able to use his method for ul'ing there Cozmo data. He is waiting for me to finish, and so is Shane for the Ultra/Ultra2.

I will explain more about the webservice when I am done. With help from Frank and Shane we are making it so anyone can connect and upload data from their diabetic hardware. Lots of cool stuff on the way!!