sibelius
Superball

Posts 8
Registered 9-20-2007
Location Northern California

Mood: Wistful

posted on 9-20-2007 at 06:27 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Aimee in San Francisco

Aimee was in San Francisco yesterday as part of the City Art and lecture series. For those of you who don't follow public radio, the event is a live discussion with a moderator. The guests usually are authors. Aimee was the only singer/songwriter invited to speak. It was a special benefit that would provide college scholorships. I think the evening was also taped for future radio playback.

In short, Aimee spent about an hour or so answering questions from the moderator and audience members and then finished up the evening with accoustic guitar versions of 5 songs from her upcoming release.

I was a little disappointed with the questions from the moderator. We had Aimee captive for an hour and he spent almost all of it chronologically going through her career. Not too much new ground was broken. If you're familar with her prior interviews most of this information was old hat. I thought he missed a good opportunity to explore in more detail her actual songs.

Needless to say the highlight of the evening was her actual performance. The songs, IMO, maintain the very high standard of her previous work. The songs were extremely melodic with intelligent and clever lyrics that delve into her usual topics of dysfunctional people and the problems of communciation.

The first song was called "Columbus Avenue". She followed this up with "31 Today". She did not provide titles for the next 3 but based on the repeating lyrics I'll call them "Dollar bill", "Little Tornados" and "Freeway". Not a bad song in the bunch.

A couple of bits of info on her new release. It sounds like it will be coming out around January. The title is "Fucking smilers". For Marketing purposes it appears like it will go out as something like "$*@$*%! smilers" where the first word is represented by symbols. She said the genesis of the title came from when she went on-line in the early days of the internet. She and a friend subscribed to the newsgroup alt-bitter where people posted what they were bitter about. One guy posted that he was fed up with people who would approach him at work when he was not in a good mood and tell him that things were not that bad and that he should just smile. So the post was a rant against all those "fucking smilers".

Finally, she also verified that she will be out performing her Christmas show again this year.

invisible_ink
Fifty Posts After the Fair

Posts 88
Registered 1-28-2006
Location Wales, UK

Mood: who knows

posted on 9-21-2007 at 04:41 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Thank you! This has made me very, very excited.
View User's Profile E-Mail User View All Posts By User U2U Member This User Has MSN Messenger
sibelius
Superball

Posts 8
Registered 9-20-2007

posted on 9-22-2007 at 01:28 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just noticed that "Freeway" is available on youtube from her Lisbon performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef1hVIqCcsU

Looks like someone recorded it from their cell phone. Pretty catchy song. I've already caught myself singing it in the car

I also remembered a couple of other tidbits about the new album that she mentioned.

Keyboards/Pianos will be more prominant with some strings and horns. Sounds like she purposefully stayed away from lots of guitars.

While "The Forgotten Arm" was a concept album this one she called the "anti-concept" record. Just a bunch of songs with no connection what so ever.

Also, the Producer of the new release is Paul Bryan.

Lara
It Takes All Kinds

Posts 2951
Registered 9-21-2003

Mood:

posted on 9-22-2007 at 01:18 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
"...A couple of bits of info on her new release. It sounds like it will be coming out around January. The title is "Fucking smilers". For Marketing purposes it appears like it will go out as something like "$*@$*%! smilers" where the first word is represented by symbols. She said the genesis of the title came from when she went on-line in the early days of the internet. She and a friend subscribed to the newsgroup alt-bitter where people posted what they were bitter about. One guy posted that he was fed up with people who would approach him at work when he was not in a good mood and tell him that things were not that bad and that he should just smile. So the post was a rant against all those "fucking smilers"..."

That's funny. It also means that the next time I see her in concert I am bound to overhear some tightass whining "I wish she wouldn't use the 'F-word'", like I overheard a fan say after a concert several years ago.

Thanks for posting the link to that YouTube boot of the song "Freeway"...I don't care for that song much, unlike "31 Today", but maybe it'll grow on me.

username
Lost in Space

Posts 41
Registered 3-17-2007

Mood: gooey

posted on 9-22-2007 at 02:01 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
So glad to hear a confirmation on the Christmas shows, and since Morgan Murphy is in collaboration, it's a lock that the Hannukah Fairy will return!!

YES!!!!!!!!

AmberLager
Been outside lately?

Posts 1132
Registered 2-16-2003
Location Outside

Mood: fabulous!

posted on 9-22-2007 at 03:50 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
CURSE WORDS make Baby Jesus cry.

Photobucket

sibelius
Superball

Posts 8
Registered 9-20-2007

posted on 9-22-2007 at 05:43 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
That's funny. It also means that the next time I see her in concert I am bound to overhear some tightass whining "I wish she wouldn't use the 'F-word'", like I overheard a fan say after a concert several years ago.

She was fairly liberal and casual in using "colorful" language in conversation. Near the end it must have hit her that this was being recorded because she made a comment about them needing to "bleep" alot of stuff out .

It was also kind of funny when the moderator asked her about "Magnolia" and the Academy Awards. She said she was more nerve racked about figuring out what to wear than she was about performing because "I don't f****** wear gowns".

Lara
It Takes All Kinds

Posts 2951
Registered 9-21-2003

Mood:

posted on 9-23-2007 at 10:33 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Yes, she says "fuck" a lot, in conversation, etc.

My kinda gal!

eve
Wise Up

Posts 861
Registered 3-16-2004
Location NC

Mood: Joyful

posted on 9-23-2007 at 08:53 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I love it "Fucking Smilers". January is right around the corner. Yay!
AmberLager
Been outside lately?

Posts 1132
Registered 2-16-2003
Location Outside

Mood: fabulous!

posted on 9-24-2007 at 05:10 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
My prayer group is praying for all of you.

Please, G_d, purge all this sinful cursing from this website, and please, G_d, watch over the little innocent children who visit here, so that they do not pick up this vile cursing habit.
Amen

Photobucket

Felix-Astronaut

Posts 58
Registered 12-18-2003
Location Paris, City of Love

Mood:

posted on 9-24-2007 at 11:17 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Best record title of the year 2008, without a doubt!
huntre
It Takes All Kinds

Posts 1506
Registered 5-6-2005
Location Bristol, TN

Mood: Indigo

posted on 9-24-2007 at 03:19 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Great news. That title suggests she's still the zesty, zippy, peppy, cock-eyed optimist that she's never been.
Mr Harris
The 500 Club

Posts 607
Registered 6-22-2004

Mood: Hopeful

posted on 9-25-2007 at 01:24 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Wow ! A new Aimee album in January ? That's likely to be a perfect soundtrack for the second-half of winter. Can't wait ! And I agree, "Freeway" sounds great - sort of a cross between "Put me on top" and "Little bombs".

"For when things are really great, it just means everything's in its place".

ALEfromITALY
That's Just What You Are

Posts 268
Registered 1-21-2004
Location ITALY

Mood:

posted on 9-26-2007 at 01:51 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I'm excited about this...
sibelius
Superball

Posts 8
Registered 9-20-2007

posted on 9-27-2007 at 01:27 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
It will be interesting to see how they patch the radio broadcast together. I hope they broadcast all 5 songs and heavily edit the conversation since that was the weakest part of the evening (due mostly to the moderator, not Aimee). In any case, I'd recommend a listen for the songs. The accoustics were pretty good in the theater so I hope they captured that okay.
huntre
It Takes All Kinds

Posts 1506
Registered 5-6-2005
Location Bristol, TN

posted on 10-13-2007 at 02:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Just watched it all the way through.
The host was young and not really savy with where AM was coming from. He (or a team) did some research, but not enough for the interview to flow smoothly.
She picked up on it and made some correct assumptions along the way. Awkward, humorous, yet still interesting.
A few observations:
She loves The Rutles. Who knew? It fits the way I see her. (Songwriter Neil Innes got so close to The Beatles evolution of sounds that, eventually, he legally had to have Lennon and McCartney's names attached to "The Pre-Fab Four" catalog)
Reluctance seems like a common thread in AM's musical life. She wasn't looking to be a recording artist. The possibility of success hadn't entered her mind. When it did hit, with MTV's help, she had major success and few clues what to do with it. The result of various greedy label ball busting no-nothings (sorry, but many of you are still like that) and a need to pull her own strings made maintaining that commercial high seem less and less important. She simply wanted folks to like her songs and buy her albums, but not to the degree that she had to please anyone other than herself with assistance from people like David Foster.
Don't tell her what to do, how to do it and who she's supposed to be doing it for. She'll probably just walk away.
In fact. I sensed that she could've walked away from that interview, halfway through, without a blink.
Those are a few of my "takes".

huntre
It Takes All Kinds

Posts 1506
Registered 5-6-2005
Location Bristol, TN

posted on 10-15-2007 at 03:57 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I just re-read my last post. If I came across as knowing Aimee's mind on her history of record making, I apologize.
I'm just a fan who's speculating. If she were to have another major hit (and, of course, I hope she does), it probably won't be because of a Lionel Ritchie-like mentality...write a song with making a hit in mind or, "How much money will it make me?". There are writers out there that try to manipulate the listeners by following a well-worn formula. That's not creative or adventurous, but it seems to work for a few years before burn-out sets in. Either the writer reaches a limit, or the listener does. I don't hear that on any of Mann's albums. I hope that she makes an appearance on "Charlie Rose" or "Henry Rollins" where someone who knows more about the business of music can ask better questions.

sedated
Seasoned Veteran

Posts 100
Registered 8-24-2004

Mood: unsedated

posted on 10-20-2007 at 10:20 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
This program is on tomorrow (Sunday the 21st). I'm having difficulty finding any evidence that it is actually on 170 radio stations. I think they might be exaggerating a little (or a lot), unless almost none of those stations broadcast on the internet.
There are a few on-line stations listed at PublicRadioFan.com, which is often (but not always) correct. KQED broadcasts the show at 4 pm et, 3 pm ct, 1 pm pt. The show repeats on Tuesday the 23rd (11 pm et). The description includes "Aimee Mann appears in conversation and song...", so I hope that means we'll hear the music portion of the program.

...for when things are really great, just means everything's in its place.

lemko
The 500 Club

Posts 595
Registered 4-18-2005
Location NJ

Mood: translucent

posted on 10-21-2007 at 05:06 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
thanks sedated!
i'll be listening at 4 pm EDT today!

Felix-Astronaut

Posts 58
Registered 12-18-2003
Location Paris, City of Love

Mood:

posted on 10-22-2007 at 09:47 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
sedated: Thank you for the link! I was able to get it right on time!

I was afraid they wouldn't air the new songs, but even though they cut 2, I'm really happy we got to hear 3 new ones!

My favourite is Columbus Avenue. Love everything about it. Beautiful.

ALEfromITALY
That's Just What You Are

Posts 268
Registered 1-21-2004
Location ITALY

Mood:

posted on 11-5-2007 at 03:14 PM Edit Post Reply With Quote
I can't wait...
I love the title...

Steve915
Lost in Space

Posts 39
Registered 2-2-2003
Location San Francisco Bay Area

Mood: Lost In Space

posted on 12-5-2007 at 02:58 AM Edit Post Reply With Quote
Well, you'll have to wait a little longer for the new album.

Aimee told us at her Christmas Shows in San Francisco that the new album will be out in March.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top