Roxbury puddingstone was a common material to use in monumental construction of the 1800s. The Mission Church was completed in 1878 just up the hill from the quarry on Tremont Street and was completely built from locally cut Roxbury puddingstone. Puddingstone was used again when the Mission Church expanded and built St. Alphonsus Hall, a convent and a parochial school. The only other noticeable sign of puddingstone used as a building material in Mission Hill is in the foundations of a couple buildings on Tremont Street. Roxbury puddingstone was used in several other churches in Boston: the Old South Church in 1875, the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in 1875 and the First Baptist Church in 1882. One of the most important and large scale projects that utilized Roxbury puddingstone was the construction of the Mill Dam in 1821. The dam was “built of solid stone for 8000 feet in length, from three to eight feet thick and twelve to seventeen feet high, while the width between the walls varied from fifty to one hundred feet. The stone used was Roxbury pudding stone and stone from Weymouth.” [6] This dam was created to power new mills in Boston and would not have been possible without the use of stone quarried from Mission Hill. Roxbury puddingstone has even gone as far Gettysburg in Pennsylvania where a thirty-ton rectangular block was brought in by train after the Civil War to commemorate Massachusetts’s soldiers. They requested this particular stone because of their childhood memories of climbing on puddingstone boulders in Roxbury. [7]
                                                                                
Mission Hill, Boston, MA
 
                                                                                                             

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

The Mission Church Today

 

 

Civil War Monument

 

Old South Church

 

 

 

 

Cathedral of the Holy Cross