With the Will > Portal | Forum | News | Media | Chat | Digital Starlight | File Island | Card Terminal | Almanac | Digipedia

Author Topic: Jeff Nimoy- Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers  (Read 25540 times)

Flarg

Re: Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2006, 11:14:54 AM »
Hey Jeff, I have another question. How do you feel about the love triangle between Tai/Sora/Matt? Were you happy with the way it ended up or would you have rather seen something different?

Suzaku

• The Dream Hunter
  • Former Administrator
    • Dustloop
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2006, 11:54:10 AM »
Flarg: He already answered that.

This question kinda ties in with Naruto; I know you said Naruto was a lot of work and had a lot of notes, is that because of the emphasis on trying to keep it close to the Japanese version?

Compared to Digimon, a rather unknown franchise in the US at the time, Naruto already had a rather significant (and considerably purist) fandom. Was there a specific focus on appeasing those fans by keeping it close, and what are some differences in the directing and producing those kinds of dubs?

With your background in writing, I'm sure you probably prefer the freedom of being able to write what you want based on the footage more than the original script, but are there ever times when you feel like you may be doing a disservice to the fans, or alienating the purists? Are there times when you can just tell that some fans won't be happy with a particular change, or are you focused on writing for the new target audience, whatever it may be?

As a hypothetical follow up, Savers (like Tamers) is considerably more mature than Adventure, and the lead character is a delinquent with a particularily foul mouth and a streak of violent temper. Regardless of how the dub really turns out, would you relish the chance to write for older Digimon characters, with more mature humor and serious themes, or would you prefer to work on it in a more "kid friendly" way?

Jeff Nimoy

« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2006, 10:42:16 PM »
This question kinda ties in with Naruto; I know you said Naruto was a lot of work and had a lot of notes, is that because of the emphasis on trying to keep it close to the Japanese version?

Compared to Digimon, a rather unknown franchise in the US at the time, Naruto already had a rather significant (and considerably purist) fandom. Was there a specific focus on appeasing those fans by keeping it close, and what are some differences in the directing and producing those kinds of dubs?

With your background in writing, I'm sure you probably prefer the freedom of being able to write what you want based on the footage more than the original script, but are there ever times when you feel like you may be doing a disservice to the fans, or alienating the purists? Are there times when you can just tell that some fans won't be happy with a particular change, or are you focused on writing for the new target audience, whatever it may be?

As a hypothetical follow up, Savers (like Tamers) is considerably more mature than Adventure, and the lead character is a delinquent with a particularily foul mouth and a streak of violent temper. Regardless of how the dub really turns out, would you relish the chance to write for older Digimon characters, with more mature humor and serious themes, or would you prefer to work on it in a more "kid friendly" way?

You know, it really always depends on the Japanese company how far they will let you stray from the original.  Some shows go way off (BoBo-Bo), and some say stay as close as possible, right down to the voice casting, trying to get sound alikes as close as possible to the Japanese actors (Naruto to a point).  And yes, the closer they want to stay to the original the more notes there will surely be.  I don't know why these particular companies want to stay close, so I don't know why Naruto stays close, but if I were to guess, I would say any show with a pre-existing fan base, like Naruto, must be doing something right, so why not follow the original formula.  Like you said, FOX KIDS had nothing to lose with Digimon because no one knew about it.  So they wanted something that would compete with the big boys.  But a lot of it comes down to viewership too.  Digimon was on a major network with a lot of affiliates, so they had to produce something commercial for the 11 million fans watching every week.  Cartoon Network just doesn't have that kind of reach, so they have to cater to the niche audience, which is the catagory the purists fall into.

Now when you're reaching 11 million viewers, and only 50,000 are purists, then you can understand why the purists aren't catered to on a show like Digimon.  But frankly, no, I never cater to purists or the commercial viewer, because the only person I cater to is the boss.  If they want it close to the translation, that's what I do, and if they want it way off, I do that.  That's my only allegience.  Now with YouTube and DVD, everyone gets the version they prefer anyway, so what's the big deal?  And no matter what, you can't satisfy everyone.

And as a hypothetical follow up, sometimes I would like to entertain a more adult audience, but there's nothing wrong with the audience I have now.

Jeff Nimoy

« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2006, 10:46:05 PM »
Well, that's it for 2006.  I hope I answered all your questions, because I have to go now.  It was great talking to  you, and I want to thank Marc (godofchaos) again for inviting me into your chat room.  And thanks to everyone for their kind words.  If any of you are on myspace, visit me at myspace.com/jeffnimoy to keep up on any announcements.  And I promise if I have any news soon, I'll let you guys know too.  Take care, and Happy New Year!!!!!

Be safe,

Jeff Nimoy

godofchaos

• Administrator
  • REAGANOMICS!
« Reply #169 on: December 30, 2006, 10:48:49 PM »
Once again thanks to Jeff for coming here.

Thread will be left open for questions, but theres no guarentee of when/if Jeff will show up to answer them, so feel free to ask, but be aware they may be answered in weeks, months, or never.
Help GOC out, scroll to the bottom of WtW, click the Paypal button and please donate if you can.  Helps pay for better server and stuff for WtW

godofchaos

• Administrator
  • REAGANOMICS!
« Reply #170 on: January 01, 2007, 04:02:29 AM »
guess i get to ask the first 'post holiday' mass answering session

You mentioned not liking shoehorning Willis into the movies.  Was it hard or annoying to shoehorn him into season 2 of the show at all?  And was he shoehorned in to cross promote with the movie, or just so the character was mentioned outside of the movie?
Help GOC out, scroll to the bottom of WtW, click the Paypal button and please donate if you can.  Helps pay for better server and stuff for WtW

the comp

• I don't get this.
« Reply #171 on: January 01, 2007, 12:26:36 PM »
you probably won't see this, mr. nimoy, but i would just like to thank you for ansering all our questions and just overalll being a freindly guy. it was great to have my question ansered, and i hope we didn't drive you crazy.   ;D

i would also like to say you've got me somewhat interested in voice acting, and if you do see this, would you happen to know what kind of education is needed for it? thanks!

Pazuzu

• Duck? What du-
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2007, 05:14:13 PM »
Asked this in the DDS announcement thread, but it's on page 19 so you probably wouldn't see it there.

I'm aware that you'll be busy during the production etc. of DDS but would you be available for comment as the episodes air? I ask because I'm doing my thesis on anime localisation and I'm taking Digimon and Naruto as the two extremes of localisation types. So it'd be fantastic to get the director's point of view on parts of episodes or overall.

koko1

Re: Jeff Nimoy- Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers
« Reply #173 on: June 10, 2007, 02:33:19 AM »
OMG i can't believe I'm doing this! i have some questions to ask you.

i would like to ask you is who is your favorite digimon? mine is gabumon i think he ROCKS!

thank you sooooo much i never thought i would be able to do this but all thanks to you and WtW i can now.

(sorry for my bad spelling, hope it doesn't stop you)
good luck
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 05:07:02 PM by godofchaos »

lost in thought

• Will Facilitator
  • Tech Monkey
  • VP of Fucking Bullshit
Re: Jeff Nimoy- Information, Post Your Questions, and Answers
« Reply #174 on: June 10, 2007, 06:12:56 PM »
No, it is not thanks to WtW, because the likelihood of you receiving an answer is nil; considering this thread has been over since January. It's done. Read dates.

(and yes, I know Pazuzu replied to it in May, be we ignore Administrator posts. They do not count for bumping.)