McCormick Field

[insert image here]

Title: McCormick Field
Alternate Title:  
Creator - Architect: Bowers, Ellis, and Watson
Creator - Architectural Firm: Leader Construction
Building Address: 30 Buchanan Place, Asheville, NC
Subject - Keyword: baseball field
Subject - LCSH:  
Description: Field contained all-wood grandstands until the city, due to fire liability from visitors' cigarettes, condemned them.  In their place a new stadium was constructed, which featured a 300-foot right-field porch, a cantilevered roof, and a 1980s vintage electric scoreboard.
Publisher: D.H. Ramsey Library, Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Asheville
Date Building Constructed / Ended: 1923-1924; 1992
Date Building Destroyed: N/A
Building Type: baseball stadium
Architectural Style: landscape
Building Current Function: baseball park
Historical Overview: These grounds have served as the location for the AshevilleTourists (1924-present), and the Asheville Orioles (1972- 1975), Asheville's minor leagues baseball teams. The field is named after Dr. Lewis McCormick, an Asheville bacteriologist who rid the city of a fly-infestation in 1905.
Tenants: City of Asheville
Format: text
Source of Item: Website
Language: English
Bibliography: O'Reilly, Charles.  A Beauty near the Smokies. 1999. 

The History of Professional Baseball in Asheville and McCormick Field.

Related Images:  
Coverage - Temporal: 1923- present
Coverage - Spatial: Seats 4000
DC Record Type:  
Rights: Any display, publication or public use must credit D. H. Ramsey Library, Special Collections, University of North Carolina at Asheville.
Copyright retained by the authors of certain items in the collection, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Processed By: Eve Goodman, 2005
Updated: May 17, 2005